No wonder our soldiers get killed this is what we give them

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bokkatankie, Sep 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Correct me if I am wrong but this is shit!!!

See:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/EquipmentAndLogistics/ModSignsContractForNewArmyPatrolVehicles.htm

The Ministry of Defence has signed a £30 million contract with Plymouth-based company DML for a number of weapons-mounted patrol vehicles which will be used by troops in Afghanistan.

New Army patrol vehicle MWMIK is the latest addition to the Army's WMIK fleet
    [Picture: Andrew Linnett]
    The MWMIK (Mobility Weapons Mounted Installation Kit) vehicles will be a considerable asset to troops on operations. With a top speed of 80 mph, they will offer increased mobility and protection.

The vehicles can be fitted with a range of firepower, including a .50 calibre machine gun or an automatic grenade launcher and a general purpose machine gun.

The MWMIK can carry up to three soldiers with their individual weapons, and can operate on a variety of terrains, including off road.

Lord Drayson, Minister of State for Defence Equipment and Support, said:

"These vehicles are well armed, swift, and agile. They will boost our capability with some serious firepower. MOD and the Treasury have worked hard to get these powerful vehicles to our troops in quick time, and they will start going out to theatre early next year."

The MWMIK will be produced at DML's Devonport dockyard facility, based on a design from Supacat Ltd. Universal Engineering Ltd will manufacture the chassis, Cummings the engine, and Allison the transmission.

DML has also recently been awarded a separate contract for a number of MEP (Military Enhancement Programme) vehicles. These are 6x6 load carrying all-terrain vehicles based on the same technology as MWMIK

2. [​IMG]
    A picture for the benefit of anyone wishing to discuss this machine.

3. I think you will find that it is a serious improvement on its predecessor both the L/R and Pinz variants and that some very well trained chaps have trialled it quite extensively.

4. 80mph is all very well, but by the nature of the weapons mounted it'll need to be stationary for best effect and people do tend to shoot back when you brass them up.

Personally, I'd prefer a bit of a compromise between speed and protection.

And where the Hell's the cupholder?

5. Whoah ... hold the production line ... we forgot the cup holder :)

6. But does it have a BV?...if not it's useless.

7. It does look to me as though it's been designed to accept clip on ballistic protection panels. AUW is not much different to the 110 pinkies and the were grossly overloaded.

8. It's been a long time since I was in but the 80mph bit will probably kill more troops than the enemy will... That thing will flip in a heartbeat...

9. from the look of it, id like to think they havnt added the armour yet that will obviously be needed.

Just by looking at it (with what ill admit is an amatuer eye) and comparing it to a land rover though there are some nice points, better over all visibility for everyone in the thing, looks to be plenty of things between the driver and an IED and good spacing between the driver and HMG , looks like if an IED does hit it the HMG wont be disabled.

PS. it looks cool as **** and does 80 MPH :p(edit : no it doesnt, looks like a toyota liteace)

[​IMG]

10. Lord Drayson, Minister of State for Defence Equipment and Support, said:

I put this forward for production and thank my lucky stars I don't have to go out in it.

11. Hm, doesn't look like any easy way to recover the crew serve if the gunner gets hit without severely exposing oneself, more so than you already would if the vehicle in the picture is the final draft.

I don't think I would want to run around a combat theatre in that thing.

If they want fast and exposed, why not just issue motorcycles? You guys could be like a big afgan biker gang.

12. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

With all due respect I have driven it and been involved with it and it is the puppies parts and already has some of the hairiest chested customers with big moustaches worldwide.

I cannot think of a better patrol/recce vehicle with a cross country capability that puts a 90 inch landrover to shame.

13. Strange medical type here, what the fcuk is a BV :? .

To me its Bacterial Vagonosis, which is a rather smelly female problem not normally discussed in mixed company!!

14. Muppet! A BV is a 'Boiling Vessel' used to heat up your scoff and make a brew.....now replaced with self heating scoff packs and cans of isotonic sugary stuff as you have not got time for a decent brew!

15. BV = Boiling Vessel (large sealed unit for making tea and cooking scoff) when it was bust on a panzer we always used to say the vehicle was VOR (vehicle off the road) :D