No wonder jumping jar head keeps so many dogs!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by revmodes, Sep 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Came across this article about wild pigs in Georgia U.S.A. at a place called fort stewart.dont know if it is a windup/photoshop.

this mother weighs in at 1800 ilbs.

The theory is that if you come across one , stand still they are blind as bats.

fck* me i thought the buggers in germany were big and scary!!

Attached Files:

2. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Feck me they get big, another farm escapee perhaps judging by the size of the bugger. I find it amazing that pigs on a farm will be that pint, tuskless, not very hairy things: they go jump the fence and within a year they're as hairy as a troupe of Turkish Elvis Impersonators with tusks that you would need a sherpa to negotiate.

3. They look fucking tasty though :)
    Can't beat a good hog roast!

4. Yeah, roast Boar. Luverly!

5. I don't think the wild pigs is the US get quite that large. The largest I have heard of was about 8-10 feet long and weighed a bit over 1000 pounds. Most are the product of cross breeding between true wild boar and feral domestic pigs that are the offspring a few generations along of escaped farm pigs. Lots in JJH's neighborhood

I know some of you think we septics are a bit daft about guns but there some decent reasons. I live in a suburban/rural area of coastal Massachusetts but often see coyotes and always found an M1911 on the belt a bit comforting when walking the dog.

Funny thing about guns and people. I have friends, college professors who are quite left/liberal sorts and hated guns. They bought a nice vacation home in the mountains in western Mass. After the day that a black bear tried to claw its way through the back door they started keeping a 12 ga. pump shotgun loaded with slugs in a rack in the house. They had just taken a roast from the oven and their boy was in the kitchen at the time which may have affected their decision. (for shooting sports types, they got a Remington 870 with an 18.5 inch slug barrel)

6. Q; What do you call a liberal who's been mugged?
    A; A conservative!

Boom Boom!

Back on topic, there was an image of a freakin' huuuuuuuuge 'feral pig' going around Australian internet sites about a year back, which was debunked as creative photography + Photoshop; I think this is another.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Dont be too hasty to debunk these, after all that really big grizzly that the Conservation Officer shot in self defence took two mags of 9mm to be dissauded. He was big enough to look in a first floor window!

8. The bear, you mean?

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Oh yes, wouldnt have fired if the bear hadnt got between himself and his truck!

likely story although his bear calibre rifle was in th truck so maybe even when desperate 9mm does enough!

10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Yep - I don't think it's been photoshopped, but you might note that the three blokes are not actually standing 'with' the pig, they are behind it, I would suspect a few feet, and the pic of the pig in front of the wagon, again, it's some way from the wagon - look at the scale of the pig versus the vegetation it's lying on.

It's one of those dead ground things.

11. Call of the Wild by Guy Grieve has some interesting yarns about bears and their attendant problems; Alaskan Indians carrying 45.70 lever actions because .44 Mag isn't powerful enough etc. etc. Bloody good book IMHO (even if Grieve comes across as dripping wet at times)

12. Could one of you clever techy types make the piccies more bigger?
    Ta.

13. Slugs? Wouldn't Snails be better at least they have shells

14. Setting out saucers full of stale beer does for both.

15. Although I am no hunter and disdain most of what I see that is called the "sport" of hunting, for the sake of accuracy i will note that in my state ("neck of the woods" as some of my neighbors would say), what some may call "boars" are known usually as "feral" or "wild" pigs. They are killed in many areas of the state but I understand there are a great number on the several very remote barrier islands along the coast from the days of the (Yankee) "robber barons" in the late 19th and early 20th centuries who took various measures to increase their numbers to entertain themselves and their elite friends on their personal "royal reserves."

Here is an actual recent account of a large wild pig being killed by a no doubt brave "hunter" who I am sure had to kill the creature lest it attack him and his family as they crouched in fear in their home while it tried to break in.

https://www.gon.com/article.php?id=1017