no witch-hunt says Jackson...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hansvonhealing, Dec 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

A 'Times' interview with Jackson.....says he needs to be sure no abuse has occured.

General Sir Mike Jackson tells The Times his far-reaching inquiry can only enhance the reputation of British troops

THE head of the British Army angrily denied yesterday that he was failing to defend soldiers accused of mistreating Iraqis and conducting a “witch-hunt” against senior officers.
    In an interview with The Times, General Sir Mike Jackson, Chief of the General Staff, defended ordering an investigation to discover whether there was evidence of “systemic” abuse by troops in Iraq.
  2. I've not been a big fan of the Prince of Darkness on many things, particularly the reduction of the Army and the loss of Arms Plotting however I think he is right here. Better to be open and clear than trying to spin it like a bunch of Pollies. I also know Brig Aitken well and can tell you he is a very good man. A tough assignment to be given where you can quickly become everyones enemy. Still the answer PoD will get will be an honest one from Brig Aitken.
  3. Flyingrockdj

Flyingrockdj War Hero Moderator

I'm surprised we still employ witches!

I'll get my coat
  4. We have seen the power of such investigations before (Kelly etc). The actual inquiry will get at the facts they are allowed to look for in their remit from Govt. who will then pick out, and drown in media etc. coverage, the bits they like and supress or poo-hoo the rest.

5. I agree. Why is it a witch hunt? If abuse occured then it should be dealt with and the perptrators dealt with. If there was none, then it will be far better to be able to produce evidence of a transparent enquiry in order to silence the sniping critics.
  6. I'm trying to work out how a "far reaching inquiry can "enchance" my reputation?

The word inquiry under this government tends to mean "Find out Who we can blame for it all going tits up and getting out into the public domain"

The last few inquires have ALL been panned for being whitewashes.

So the Prince of Darkness gets an inquiry run, comes back with the result that there WAS no systemic abuse committed by squaddies.