"No Touch" Policy in Schools Reviewed

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Your_Mums_Pal, Oct 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There's no noteworthy political gain to be made by doing this, and quite a lot to lose if/when it backfires. After so many years of every decision being made to cover arrses or win votes, it's really nice to see a common sense policy introduced for that reason alone.
  2. I for one would welcome the scrapping of the 'no touch' policy. It's been 5 years since I left school and in my last year of GCSEs I listened in horror as the school retard proudly told me about how he had reported the Business Studies teacher to both the headmaster and the police for "assault". I had been in the class during the alleged incident and all the teacher had done was joke with the boy about his rubbish work, to which the boy responded with a smart alec answer and at that point the teacher ever so lightly pretended to hit him round the ear with his rolled up newspaper... it barely touched the kid if at all. To the rest of us it was a clear cut case of student/teacher banter and to suggest otherwise was a bit sick to be honest. As the twenty or so of us present at the time backed the teacher up and gave the accuser a suitable amount of stick and abuse the nonsensical claims were quickly dropped. But I couldn't help but wonder what if there hadn't been so many witnesses - an innocent man could have been dragged through court.

The no touch rule is something which punishes genuine and honest teachers who may simply want to help a child with a cut knee or something and does nothing to prevent those evil t-wats who if they are intent on harming a child aren't going to stop just because of a government rule.

Hopefully this decision by Gove signifies the end of the cotton wool society and is a victory for common sense.
  3. I had much worse happen to me in friendly banter. I was sitting my highers (A-Levels) about four years ago and when I handed in an essay with some pretty blatant spelling mistakes my English teacher threw a dictionary at my face when I first sat down at my desk the next day. Left me with a black eye but I didn't feel the need to go complain, it was done as a joke and he promptly apologised. I cant believe that somebody would grass in a teacher for getting a pap round the ear with a newspaper.

When I think back to primary school and a kid who joined our class who was from Canada, I remember our teacher. We must have only been primary 3...seven or eight years old. The boy didn't fit in well and eventually during class he broke and burst into tears. Our teacher, who was the nicest wee woman on the planet, came over to his desk and wrapped him in a big massive hug. It calmed him straight away. After that we were all gunning for one and she spent a good 20 minutes walking around the class giving us all a big cuddle lol.

It sounds sappy but why the hell would there be such an issue with this? Even when a fight breaks out in corridors, teachers aren't even able to step in anymore. They can't collar a bandit and drag him away for fear of being reported to the police and losing their entire careers.

It's a feckin' joke.
  4. casting my mind back to primary school i remember what must of been the introduction of the 'no touch' policy or something similar. If one of us fell and cut our knee then a teacher/teaching assistant or dinner lady would clean the wound and put a plaster on. If one us us pee-ed our pants then the teachers helped us change into clean spare bottoms kept specially for the scenario. By the time i reached the end of primary if you fell and cut your knee or wet yourself you either had to do these things for yourself or await the arrival of your parents as the teachers were no longer allowed to touch us. Allegedly if something had gone wrong with the cut and it had been infected they could have been sued. Or that was their excuse. Surely leaving the child to sort itself out would lead to a higher risk of infection, but there they go with covering their own backsides and not giving a shit about the children again.

As for cuddles I agree especially for the primary 1-3 age group are an essential part of their development. If a child is upset and is simply ignored by the teacher then its probably going to play up and be more naughty in an effort to try desperately to seek that attention = storing up troule and bad habits for when it gets older too.

I did experience one teacher throwing a boy (about 15) up against a wall and not threatening but giving him a right b-ollocking. The teacher in question was usually a mild mannered man who wouldn't say boo to a goose and he had been driven to it by what i can only describe this pupil as - a bad to the bone wee f**ker. There were witnesses to this incident too but it was never reported as we all knew the teacher was provoked and they guy he threw against the wall deserved everything that was coming to him - the 15 year old must have known it too because he never mentioned it again either. Bit of a whack to his ego being taken out by a teacher in front of all his 'hard' mates. Took him down a peg which is precisely what he needed.

We used to have a set of climbing bars in the playground too. Ripped out the year we left because they were 'dangerous'. Utter tosh like. Would love to see schools go back to the way they were in the early to mid nineties. In my area at least.
  5. I for one hope that things don`t swing back to far in the opposite direction. At my school there were just over 300 boys, and not one day passed without a goodly number of us being physically punished. The punishments were carried out by the use of sticks, canes,slippers, and plimsolls, just about anything that came to hand really. Spelling mistakes, lateness, untidy handwriting, badly polished shoes and other lesser crimes would earn you a beating. Serious crimes were dealt with on Friday mornings at General Assembly where in front of the whole school the culprit was caned six times on each hand by the headmaster, aided by two or three of his henchmen/teachers. Some would say it didn`t do us any harm, but it didn`t do any good either. Did my school produce any rocket scientists, brain surgeons, or nuclear physicists? No, just unimaginative, case hardened sorts. Good luck Michael Gove though.
  6. Agreed trowler, i don't favour corporal punishment either. never had it in school as i am too young, but i do remember my parents smacking me and it making me determined to be worse than before.

I think the difficult task Michael Gove has is of striking that happy medium between freedom of teachers to act against unruly pupils without fear of ending up in court and ensuring the pupils are correctly disciplined without going overboard.

Maybe we should introduce military schools like the yanks. Send all the kids who are so bad they get expelled to a military style school to sort and straighten them out. opinions?
  7. I have no problem with corporal punishment, just its indiscriminant use.
  8. P.S. Indiscriminate.
  9. There was a teacher at my last school who was an ocean going ****. His name was Hannan and he taught algebra and cricket. He was an appallingly bad teacher whose method of teaching involved caning people in front of the class for getting a sum wrong. Hardly a good teaching method. He was a sadistic bully who shouted a lot.
  10. One of my favourite completely stupid rules at the moment isn't even to do with schools, it's within the MOD. Most people have probably heard of the Cotswolds Family Centre near Corsham. From time to time, it used to be used as casual accommodation for people on meetings etc, but no longer. Apparently no service personnel are allowed to use it as it doesn't meet the fire safety standards. But....it's ok for families to live there. WTF?!!
  11. currently, at the school I have just left, there were all sorts of obcessive rules, such as:
    hug a boy- isolation.
    hug a girl-suspension.
    kiss a girl-long term (3 weeks) suspension.
    Apart from being ludicrous and rather reminiscent of all the chastity groups in 1984, they are sexist and heterophobic in that they punish heterosexual males more than girls.
  12. And a coward as well, I'll wager.
  13. Adults, unless it's for essential emergency reasons shouldn't be touching other peoples kids. Not even teachers!
  14. Some good arguments for and against posted here; another problem is that whatever the teacher does (or doesn't do) could be considered wrong, depending on the situation or individual's perspective.

Although I think Y_M_P's dictionary-in-the-face treatment was a bit much.