No suitable roles?

Hello,

I was in the REME as avionics technician from 200-2006. I turn 41 this month and was looking into what roles would be available to me in then reserves. I filled in the online questionnaire and we got the automated response “ unfortunately, due to the answers you have given? there no roles available to you in the British Army”. It only asked some very basic questions as it was very first step in the process. What’s the problem? Am I too old now? Do the reserves not like ex regulars? Was my service too long ago.....
I appreciate I can ring the recruitment helpline and ask them the question but just wondered if anyone had any ideas?
Thanks.

CaptainCod

Swinger
Hello,

I was in the REME as avionics technician from 200-2006. I turn 41 this month and was looking into what roles would be available to me in then reserves. I filled in the online questionnaire and we got the automated response “ unfortunately, due to the answers you have given? there no roles available to you in the British Army”. It only asked some very basic questions as it was very first step in the process. What’s the problem? Am I too old now? Do the reserves not like ex regulars? Was my service too long ago.....
I appreciate I can ring the recruitment helpline and ask them the question but just wondered if anyone had any ideas?
Thanks.
Wow from 200-2006 you old git!

Have you got a local REME unit you can visit and talk to?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Chin off the questionnaire. Find your local Reserve units (tri-service) and have a chat to them.

I’m near York. I think there’s some Infantry, Signals and Medics around here. I was actually interested to know about something/anything different from what I have done. I’m still working on aircraft you see. I’ll just give them a bell and see what’s what.
Have you got a local REME unit you can visit and talk to?

Chin off the questionnaire. Find your local Reserve units (tri-service) and have a chat to them.
What he said.

Whereabouts are you. Interested in working in a TACP? I know lots of foreign trips doing a really cool job isn’t everybody’s cup of tea, but you never know.

Just had a bit of a google about TACP. Sounds really interesting and something I’d tempted bu but unfortunately York is a fair trek from Bath.

Just had a bit of a google about TACP. Sounds really interesting and something I’d tempted bu but unfortunately York is a fair trek from Bath.
Move

Being serious though, we have a chap that comes down from Chester, one from Edinburgh, another from Cornwall, and another from the North East. Obviously they do weekends and exercises, not drill nights.

Last edited:
Move

Being serious though, we have a chap that comes down from Chester, one from Edinburgh, another from Cornwall, and another from the North East. Obviously they do weekends and exercises, not drill nights.
Really? That’s interesting. How often do they turn up? I mean if they’re not attending drill nights etc I’d have thought they’d need to do most weekends to keep up with training requirements etc. It’s knocking on a 500 mile round trip from York to Bath.

Really? That’s interesting. How often do they turn up? I mean if they’re not attending drill nights etc I’d have thought they’d need to do most weekends to keep up with training requirements etc. It’s knocking on a 500 mile round trip from York to Bath.
A weekend a month and at least one two-week exercise, but usually more than one ex if they can get the time off from work.

It’s the usual 27 days but there’s always something going on, either exercises or courses. I’m self employed so can do as much as I like. 2019 I did ten exercises/courses, including exercises in Germany and the USA.

Have you looked at National units?

I had no idea that one weekend a month would be considered acceptable. That’s really opened my eyes so thanks very much for that. I’m going to have a more in-depth google about TACP. The Army website is a bit vague, especially about the reservist role.

I’d not heard of National Units untill you mention them, I just had a quick look and although there is a lot of opportunities, not really anything in the way of aircraft maintenance which is all I have to offer.

I’d not heard of National Units untill you mention them, I just had a quick look and although there is a lot of opportunities, not really anything in the way of aircraft maintenance which is all I have to offer.
Lateral thinking, young man.

170 Infra Support Engineer Group RE doesn't repair aircraft but it does occasionally inspect and design buildings for those who do. Handy to have somebody who has knowledge of the building layout and equipment needed to aid the Construction, Electrical and Mechanical Clerks of Works in their designs.

It's a Nationally-recruited unit so has a minimum commitment of 19 days per year including an Annual Camp of 15 days (approx) that, when I was in, was usually in FI, Ascension, Gib or Akrotiri. In other words, lots of RAF or RN places.

Good advice.

My attempts to join reserves were basically destroyed by the appalling online process. Crapita are criminally incompetent.

Going in person on a drill night to see a sensible SNCO made all the difference.

(For clarity, l didn't end up joining, but that was for reasons unrelated to the process)

Latest Threads