No stamps to recognise UK Troops

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Mar 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Sunday Times
    March 14, 2010
    Steve McQueen at war with Royal Mail over stamp memorial to UK soldiers
    When war artist Steve McQueen started on a tribute to troops he did not expect a battle with Royal Mail

McQueen says it is shameful that Royal Mail will not issue his postage stamp portraits
    Tony Allen-Mills

Steve McQueen spent only six days in Iraq seven years ago, but the mission he undertook as an official UK war artist remains far from accomplished. This week, McQueen’s profoundly moving exhibition of postage stamp portraits of British soldiers killed in Iraq moves to the National Portrait Gallery in London after an extended tour.

It should be a moment of satisfaction for the Turner prize-winning artist and film maker, who will mark Saturday’s opening of his Queen and Country exhibition with the publication of a new book recording more than 150 facsimile postage stamp sheets he created from photographs provided by the families of war dead.

Instead, McQueen is spoiling for a fight. After months of patient lobbying, the 40-year-old British artist has failed to persuade Royal Mail to turn his project into real commemorative stamps. The memorial project he always envisaged as a living tribute — with real stamps on real envelopes landing every morning on British doormats — has been stalled by faceless bureaucrats wielding what McQueen considers insulting excuses.
    More
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article7060867.ece

2. What a whinger. He created some art, sent it (unsolicited) to he Royal Mail and got a knock back. He doesn't agree with their reason ( well he wouldn't, would he), and then goes bleating to the press. No mention of the Royal Mail's normal commissioning and production times for commemorative editions.

Whether the pix (per se) are suitable is subjective. I hope the families are getting good prints of them. I also hope he did not dupe them into thinking the actual stamps had been approved.

And I hope this is nor a naked bid for publicity: his previous work has been quite political, and I feel strongly that requiems should be kept from tarnish.

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

He's been going on about this for a couple of years.

4. He should stick to jumping barbed wire fences on a Zundapp..

5. It was a Triumph painted in wehrmacht colours. :D

6. Ask the Falkland Islands to do the stamps, it's still one of there biggest earners Phillat, phyll,platrer, stamps that is

7. Es ist ze cooler fur you Herr Hiltz :rmp:

8. All aboard the Outrage motorbike!

9. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

And the real McQueen was in the chasing pack of Germans he never did jump any wire

Although he refused to do the film in the first place unless they wrote the motorbike chase in for him

10. I'd rather have this on my letters.....[​IMG]

11. Prefer these myself

[​IMG]

McQueen has the full support of the families involved

@ the_boy_syrup - excellent icon, man.

12. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Why? He's crap at it. Has a go every Christmas and still hasn't cleared it yet.