No sound?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Proximo, Mar 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Folks,

I can hear CDs and MP3s perfectly well - but I cannot hear anything in my browser.

Does anyone have any advice I may follow?

All devices work fine; all CODECs etc are present.

2. You havent muted the browser player by accident have you?
  3. on earth might I have done that, Disco?

I'm running FF...

Heeeeeeeeeeeeelp! :D
  4. try this
    start menu
    control panel

check what has been muted
  5. The only thing I have muted is the mic - don't need it.

And I can hear anything run from my desktop perfectly fine: CDs, MP3s, WMV etc etc. What I can't do is go to YouTube (for example) and hear any sounds, but I can see the video itself...

6. The player in the browser will have a control panel with play and pause etc. There should also be a little speaker, click on it to see if it has been activated.

If it is an embedded sound then maybe its either missing, badly linked too or corrupt.

What is it your doing? UTube type stuff?
  7. Yeah - I can hear embedded players (like RealPlayer etc) but YouTube is totally silent, so is everything from Rathergood (for example).

I have no idea what the matter is!
  8. [​IMG]
  9. Yep - it's not that either - one of the first things I checked! ;)
  10. Hmm so its not a codec problem.

Not a master volume or mute problem.

I wonder if your having sync problems? Let it play fully and see if there is a delay from the sound.
  11. I had a similar problem a while back. I found that it was, inexplicably, due to the volume settings in RealPlayer or Windaz Media Player being set to zero. When I turned the volume settings up in one or the other the sound returned in my browser.
  12. Actually it was - I was being dim.

I downloaded the K-Lite Codec Pack and used the Tweak toolset - took 5 seconds! :D

Thanks to everyone who helped. :D