No Smoking in English Pubs After July 2007

be a burden on the tax payer.

Hmm, so all those taxes that i ever paid on each packet of fags which help to shore the NHS up to the tune of 55 million quid a year plus all my national insurance i ever paid since being 16 wont pay for my leg to be whipped off or my lung to be whipped out?
 
Cpl_ripper said:
be a burden on the tax payer.

And I suppose those fucking meat heads who get bombed out of their skulls every Friday / Saturday night, causing havoc and mayhem in pubs, clubs, a street near you and every hospital in the land aren't?

As one poster above puts it, this is all about expediency people. Tony's cronies couldn't give a flying fuck about your health - they're trying to cover their own arrses.

In the meantime the gullible are being led by their collective noses down the path of weak willed subjugation and the smug middle classes feel they are 'doing their bit'.

Sleep walking into utter chaos. Anyone with any sense should fuck off now.....
 
Having smoked for the past 30 years and recently quit (3 months now and not a flicker), I was sceptical about a smoking ban in pubs. I too was outraged by the apparent nanny state banning of smoking, but recently during a visit to Scotland, my mind has been changed. No smoke smells, clear vision, no stinking ashtrays. I thought it would be a bad idea, now I support it, and Mrs Geek and the Geeklings are chuffed to bits because I dont stink anymore. Apart from when i come in minging!
 
T

TheSnake

Guest
No more stinking clothes, and chesty coughs in the morning. About time !!!
 

Sven

LE
bossyboots said:
be a burden on the tax payer.

Hmm, so all those taxes that i ever paid on each packet of fags which help to shore the NHS up to the tune of 55 million quid a year plus all my national insurance i ever paid since being 16 wont pay for my leg to be whipped off or my lung to be whipped out?
Of course it will, just as it pays for all the other addicts who go to hopsital to be patched up
 
Storeman Norman said:
Cpl_ripper said:
be a burden on the tax payer.

And I suppose those fucking meat heads who get bombed out of their skulls every Friday / Saturday night, causing havoc and mayhem in pubs, clubs, a street near you and every hospital in the land aren't?

As one poster above puts it, this is all about expediency people. Tony's cronies couldn't give a flying fuck about your health - they're trying to cover their own arrses.

In the meantime the gullible are being led by their collective noses down the path of weak willed subjugation and the smug middle classes feel they are 'doing their bit'.

Sleep walking into utter chaos. Anyone with any sense should fuck off now.....

You're right & you're wrong. You're right about the drunken idiots who fill up the A&E departments every weekend. My wife's a nurse who works in a plastics department, a lot of her work comes from facial reconstructions from drunken fighting in the post-pub spillout. The logical conclusion would be to ban alcohol outright. However, as you point out, the government are only interested in covering their backs & the revenue generated from alcohol sales are massive, so this ban is unlikely.

However, a smoking ban is sensible, and your soapbox rant is misguided. If it leads to more people giving up (600,000 estimated), that's a good thing. Personally speaking, I can't wait for it in Northern Ireland. I've been drinking in Dublin & New York post smoking ban & appreciated not gasping for breath the following day.
 
Got to admit I'm with eSel here. I was already a twenty a day man when I joined up and enjoyed smoking a great deal. Once I came out I found that the only time I could have a fag was standing outside in all weathers or in the car on the way to work.
Slowly but surely smoking just stopped being a pleasure at all. After a while even someone as dense as me realises that at £5 a packet for 20 stands in the rain is just not fun at all.
So I stopped, I wouldn't say gave up I just got to the point where I couldn't be bothered to light one up. That was six years ago now. Unlike the self riteous twats that populate the planet I haven't become a rabid anti smoker, each to their own I say.

The one thing you do notice though, is, smokers smell like shit, if you need a reason to give up that's the one.
 
Baldrick66 said:
Bollox! The nanny state dictating again!!

If you don't want second hand smoke, go to a non smoking pub. Smoking in the office? NO! Eating Houses NO! But it's YOUR CHOICE! if you don't want to smell smoke dont go to a smoking establisment. Smoking at work it a sore point, If you want a smoke, go outside. The over kill comes from the Arrseholes who not only want you outside, but at least 5m from a path and not on MOD property full stop!!!!!! (Think Sennybridge now in the depth of winter, because thats how ludicus it's getting!!!) Before long these t**t's will ban you from smoking on tour as it a health hassard!

F*ck off!!!

Why should i have to go to another drinking establishement just because you want the right to pollute your body (and the atmosphere around you)???

What happens if i really like my local, but they decide to allow smoking. Why should I be forced to choose another pub (which may be nowhere as nice, or close) just because some selfish buggers want to smoke.

Me thinks the smoke has blocked the arteries taking blood to your brain! :roll:
 
bossyboots said:
be a burden on the tax payer.

Hmm, so all those taxes that i ever paid on each packet of fags which help to shore the NHS up to the tune of 55 million quid a year plus all my national insurance i ever paid since being 16 wont pay for my leg to be whipped off or my lung to be whipped out?

The revenue from tobacco and it's other products do not nearly reach the levels of funding for the NHS that are sucked up by treating smoking and smoking related illnesses. Cancer and heart disease are the two biggest killers in Britain, and guess what the major contributory factor is???

Smoking.

Not really a surprise!
 
The reason why i think this is good over banning alcohol is that i can go into a pub and choose not to drink alcohol whilst you can be standing next to me and drink as much as you want, i will still be alcohol free. However if your standing next to me smoking then I am smoking too and your killing me as well as yourself.

OS
 
eSeL said:
However, a smoking ban is sensible, and your soapbox rant is misguided. If it leads to more people giving up (600,000 estimated), that's a good thing.

Did I say it wasn't? What I'm saying is that HM Govt and the rest of the morons who have leapt aboard this blanket ban as a 'good thing' are failing to appreciate that it is actually a by-product of government expediency. It would be a good thing if all drunken drivers had their eyeballs ripped out through their nostrils and then had their sockets skull fucked. It would be a good thing if alcohol was banned
throughout the land and the wasters and troglodites who clog up the cells / hospitals etc etc found something else to with themselves apart from waste tax payers' money. It would be a good thing if fuel surcharges on airline travel were doubled / tripled but........with this and many other lobbies, there are too many vested interests at heart.

Let's not kid ourselves here. I'm not a smoker, but I fucking object to being patronised and goaded by governments with an agenda - and then being told 'it's good for your health'. I resent the erosion of civil liberties in the name of collective good and I do truly believe that they do it because they know they can. Utter, utter bollox.
 

roseandpose

Old-Salt
Ireland banned smoking from pubs before we did. On one of my trips to see relatives at New Year, we went to a pub, thinking that we'd be queuing for ages.

The place was 3/4 empty.

As a result of the smoking ban, people bought a load of booze from the offy and had their own parties at home where they could smoke.

I'm not saying that it is a good thing or a bad thing, just offering a glimpse into what will happen in this country.
 

Big_Duke_Six

Old-Salt
Oneshot said:
The reason why i think this is good over banning alcohol is that i can go into a pub and choose not to drink alcohol whilst you can be standing next to me and drink as much as you want, i will still be alcohol free. However if your standing next to me smoking then I am smoking too and your killing me as well as yourself.

OS

The obvious parallel to OS's well made point is that the by-product of drinking is pi$$ing. So the equivalent of second hand smoking is having the bloke next to you pi$$ing up your leg while he's having a drink. This is, of course, socially unacceptable (except presumably in certain speciality establishments like the one Letterwritingman is considering opening). Even though pi$$ing up someones' leg would not be bad for their health, while second hand smoking clearly is, why is it that second hand smoking should be tolerated while second hand drinking is not?

BTW, I choose not to indulge in either second hand activity.
 

Sven

LE
roseandpose said:
Ireland banned smoking from pubs before we did. On one of my trips to see relatives at New Year, we went to a pub, thinking that we'd be queuing for ages.

The place was 3/4 empty.

As a result of the smoking ban, people bought a load of booze from the offy and had their own parties at home where they could smoke.

I'm not saying that it is a good thing or a bad thing, just offering a glimpse into what will happen in this country.

No queueing at the bar!!!!!

Excellent!!!
 

Sven

LE
Storeman Norman said:
eSeL said:
However, a smoking ban is sensible, and your soapbox rant is misguided. If it leads to more people giving up (600,000 estimated), that's a good thing.

Did I say it wasn't? What I'm saying is that HM Govt and the rest of the morons who have leapt aboard this blanket ban as a 'good thing' are failing to appreciate that it is actually a by-product of government expediency. It would be a good thing if all drunken drivers had their eyeballs ripped out through their nostrils and then had their sockets skull fucked. It would be a good thing if alcohol was banned
throughout the land and the wasters and troglodites who clog up the cells / hospitals etc etc found something else to with themselves apart from waste tax payers' money. It would be a good thing if fuel surcharges on airline travel were doubled / tripled but........with this and many other lobbies, there are too many vested interests at heart.

Let's not kid ourselves here. I'm not a smoker, but I fucking object to being patronised and goaded by governments with an agenda - and then being told 'it's good for your health'. I resent the erosion of civil liberties in the name of collective good and I do truly believe that they do it because they know they can. Utter, utter bollox.


Whilst I do know a few soldiers who didn't drink, the vast majority have done one or the other of those highlighted at one time or another. Are You saying that You never puked up in the street in Your youth Norman, or got into fisticuffs through drink.

Don't condemn others for what You or Yours have done in the past
 

Lynxtips

Old-Salt
If everyone gives up smoking, which isn't a bad thing, what will the Government tax more to replace the lost revenue? Will it be income tax, car drivers, alcohol because it will be something you can bet your life on it
 
Sven said:
Storeman Norman said:
Let's not kid ourselves here. I'm not a smoker, but I fucking object to being patronised and goaded by governments with an agenda - and then being told 'it's good for your health'. I resent the erosion of civil liberties in the name of collective good and I do truly believe that they do it because they know they can. Utter, utter bollox.


Whilst I do know a few soldiers who didn't drink, the vast majority have done one or the other of those highlighted at one time or another. Are You saying that You never puked up in the street in Your youth Norman, or got into fisticuffs through drink.

Don't condemn others for what You or Yours have done in the past

Read the last para again. I think you'll find you've missed my point. I have 'been there' with the best of them - and it wasn't a pretty sight I can tell you.
 

apfsdsdu

War Hero
I'm a smoker,

Without going over the same old arguments of cost, smell, personal choice etc I can quite honestly say that I'm fairly ambivalent about the ban. It was banned in cinema's years ago, I stopped going to the cinema. Middle age has reduced the number of visits to the pub so they will probably become nil.

The only issue I have with it is, where the fun police will turn next to get their kicks. Those who firmly believe that drinking is safe, look back 15 to 20 years, to a time when smoking was still considered in the main to be socially acceptable. Your arguments as to why the self righteous will never try to take away your nightcap or friendly pint in the pub can all be countered, funnily enough by many of the same arguments that were used to change the public perception about smoking, and turn it from being a socially accepted form of relaxation to the anti-social status it now holds.

Some people will never be happy until they have drained the last drop of independence, the last drop of individuality and any inclination not to conform from the moribund and passive public at large.

As you stand at the bar enjoying a pint or mearly sipping a pleasant 20 year old malt, don’t be too quick to congratulate yourself on how clean the atmosphere. It’s your turn next.
 
S

stabradop

Guest
I am a smoker although I try to consider others when I am out. One example is in restaurants where I usually slip outside when I need a fag as I hate it when people smoke when I am eating.

I went to Ireland in June 04 to my fathers funeral, and this was after the ban came in. It wasn't all that bad. I found that I ended up mixing with more other groups than I normally would cos I had to go outside for a fag. Additionally I am thinking of starting a business renting/selling patio heaters as one bloke in Dublin who did that made a fortune :lol:

I am sure some pubs will be affected if they have little or no outside space for people to smoke but most pubs have some sort of beer garden or car park where they can create a covered area with patio heaters for the winter months. It doesn't bother me to have to pop outside, I doesnt take 5 minutes to smoke a ciggy anyway.

stab
 

Latest Threads

Top