No Sentries at Horseguards?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by JoeCivvie, Nov 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. SWMBO took the first-born back to the UK recently and they had a day in London showing the first-born the sights.

Walking down Whitehall they went to see the Donkey-Wallopers outside Horseguards, but the sentry-boxes were locked and no one home.

Is this a new thing? Have cuts made it THAT bad?
  2. Student Demo maybe??
  3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

yesterday there was smart chap in full ceremonial stood outside selling poppies.
  4. Contractorisation. The job's gone to Sodexho.

So have the nags.
  5. It was a Sunday (26th October) - week-end passes all round?
  6. The councils are soon to be turning out street lights and we can't afford expensive things like ponies.
  7. Securicor at Buck house next? :)
  8. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Stand by for some quality steaks in the Regimental restaurant or Hub or whatever teh fcuk its called these day.

Fetch me Chota peg, Boy!
  9. It will be PCSO's hired for guard duty at Buckhouse......
  10. Any sensible answers please chaps?
  11. They where there when I was down the week before. Puzzling.
  12. On Arrse?

OK, it was the RAF's stag.
  13. Was it during NAAFI break perchance...or was Eastenders on the telly?
  14. or possibly in the bar if it's still there? I had it from a DW who was in around the time of HM's Coronation (he was part of the mounted BG) that Horseguards had the only guardroom in the British Army with a bar. Apparently it was also the done thing to cut along the roof to the Admiralty to chat up the WRENs who were on radio watch there.

Using a Reaper? Very high tech, but I would have thought it would preclude any tourist photo opportunities unless the tourists can loiter on Whitehall at 20 grand?
  15. What time was it? The mounted sentries, correctly known as Boxmen, are only on stag until 4pm. The entire guard is turned out at 4 and inspected by the Captain of the Queen´s Life Guard (or the HCMR Orderly Officer if it´s a Short Guard). After this inspection, the boxmen stand down and the foot sentries inside the courtyard carry on until 10pm. There are four boxmen who stag on from 11am - 4pm, a short stag, but they earned it by being the best turned out on guard mount in barracks and will therefore have put in the hours the night before. The inspection in barracks is very thorough and includes the state of the horse, the horse furniture (known as downstairs kit) and the soldier´s uniform (known as upstairs kit). The Adjutant and RCM do the inspection and it takes about half an hour to inspect 12 men.