No room for Baldrick in the overstretched British army

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jul 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No room for Baldrick in the overstretched British army
    Senior officers are under attack for using vital troops as servants

Marie Woolf
    Read Mick Smith's defence blog

Baldrick the faithful batman is in danger of getting the army into trouble, according to a secret review from the Ministry of Defence. The practice of senior officers employing soldiers as domestic servants, such as Baldrick in the Blackadder television series, risks becoming an embarrassment while frontline troops are stretched to breaking point.

The review, marked as “restricted management”, questions why soldiers are being used as chefs, valets and house orderlies for senior officers while the army is fighting two wars. “Why is Cpl Bloggs serving food to generals when he should be helping to fight the Taliban?” it asks.
    More on the link!
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article4276462.ece

2. Strange how a few soldiers are suddenly 'vital' to operations.
    I wonder which politico leaked, or had leaked, this answer to all the manpower shortages across the board?

I look forward to the retasking of RN and RAF Stewards to provide another battalion in the field. :roll:

3. Well, the Taliban must be shiiting themselves now...Not only will they have an entire Bde to deal with, but the Generals house Cpl and his chef are joining in as well. I expect a full surender any day now

4. Its a simple tit for tat PR battle in labour eyes, you make us look bad, we dredge out some b+llocks in an attempt to smear you

I'm sure there was a similer non story a few months ago ref the brass's lifestyle/budget etc

5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

In the recent Warship programme,the Captain had his own chef & steward &,if/when that happens that'll pish off the Senior Service...I mean X amount of ships Captains having to press their own kit...

6. He has a point.

But this particular MP is a Grade A arssehole.

7. Does he really think that if these valets and batmans were to be 'returned to front line duties' they'd actually make a difference?

I'm sure a handful of fablon biff chit holding ironing experts will have the Telitubbies bricking themselves.

I do tend to agree its a tit for tat by the nobber in question.

I really cant wait for Liabour to be returned to the opposition. I believe the sentence is reduced if you punch them fcukers in the face if they arent a part of the government?

8. Not many RN Stewards (or whatever they're called now) ahore these days, at sea they act as first aiders and do all the other secondary jobs that matelots do, including fire fighting and damage control, sentry duties etc.

Where would the extra manpower come from? If they got rid of them, someone else (who?) would have to do these things.

9. This really is a non event story. I saw more meaningful arguements as a 5 year old at school. I'll take my chances on Cameron, anything but this bunch.

10. Zanuliabour, same old sh1t, different day. Come the revolution mate, I wonder if our cheese eating surrender monkey cousins retained any guillotines?, I think they still had them in the French Guyana penal establishments, and if a rusty steam loco can be restored to near new conditon, a glorified axe should pose no problem. I'd do the biz, not perturbed by a bit of crovvy.

11. Listening to the radio everyday, all I ever hear is adverts for the RAF.
    For the past month it has been advertising for RAF stewards.
    Making this role as exciting as possible, announcing how they will work on the bar all over the world etc etc.
    Apparently they are essential for the RAF to operate. Why? Im not so sure, but apparently they are.
    Also, you dont need to be a pilot to fly in the RAF.....

The RAF, its like a joke with a military theme.

12. Be interesting to know how much Gordy, the Speaker, Swiss Des et al charge the taxpayer for servants. I'd bet Mr & Mrs Cyclops dont change many nappies at No 10.

I expect this info could only be obtained 'at disproportionate cost' though.

13. £135,600 expenses average per MP

£570,000 (2006) for the upkeep of all senior officers houses including repairs, upgrades, house staff and personal travel.

Seems equal and seems fair to bin a couple of bods. :roll:

If the role of batman/valet was thrown open to the private sector (as the job they do still needs to be done), how much would that cost compared to a Pte soldier or JNCO? Not throwing a broad brush but I'm guessing some of those in the roles of valet/batman aren't FE operationally deployable anyway?

If the Zanuliabour MP was so concerned, why doesn't he lobby for a larger defence budget for an Armed Force who is fighting on two fronts instead of shit-stirring like a retarded spacehopper headed cuntbubble?

Oh, thats right. He is a shit-stirring retarded spacehopper headed cuntbubble.

14. This particular prick spends his life trying to pick holes in what he perceives as 'toff officers' behaviour:

Kevan Jones: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence how much his Department spent on alcohol for entertainment at the homes of the non-ministerial members of the Army Board in the last year, broken down by (a) event and (b) type of alcohol. (I love the 'non-ministerial' bit in that question - might be a little embarrassing to include them?)

Kevan Jones: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what the cost was of claims made for expenses by the (a) Adjutant General, (b) Chief of the General Staff and (c) Army Board in 2006.

Kevan Jones: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what expenses incurred by partners of members of the Army Board may be claimed for from his Department; and how much was spent on those expenses in 2006, broken down by type.

Kevan Jones: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what costs were incurred for maintenance at the official residence of the General Officer Commanding Northern Ireland in each year since 1997.

Kevan Jones: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what the running costs were of the housing provided by his Department for members of the Army Board in each year since 1997.

Kevan Jones: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what percentage of accommodation provided by his Department to non-ministerial members of the Army Board is considered to be of Standard 1 condition.

Kevan Jones: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what the total cost was of repairs and maintenance at properties occupied by the Assistant Chief of the General Staff in 2006.

Kevan Jones: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what the total cost was of (a) gardening and (b) repairs and maintenance at properties occupied by (i) the Chief of the General Staff, (ii) the Adjutant-General and (iii) members of the Army Board in 2006.

Kevan Jones: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence how many internal flights were taken by the Ministerial members of the Army Board in 2006; how many of these flights were with (a) military and (b) commercial carriers; and what the cost was of each flight.

Kevan Jones: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what contribution the offices of non-ministerial members of the Army Board are making to the savings outlined for his Department in the Gershon Review.

Kevan Jones: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence whether the costs of running the households of non-ministerial members of the Army Board were included in considerations of possible cost savings under the Gershon Review.

Kevan Jones: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what the total expenditure was on flowers for the residential accommodation provided for (a) members of the Army Board, (b) the Chief of the General Staff, (c) the Assistant Chief of the General Staff and (d) the Adjutant-General in 2006.

Kevan Jones: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what steps are being taken to reduce the carbon footprint of the (a) Army Board, (b) Chief of the General Staff, (c) Assistant Chief of the General Staff and (d) Adjutant-General.

Too bored to go on: linky here for those interested:

cretin questions

Now whilst I'm not against reasonable oversight, it might be interesting to table a PQ along the lines of 'how much ammo could the Armed Forces have bought with the money spent on answering Kevan Jones' frivolous questions?' , or 'does Kevan Jones do any work as an MP other than wittering on about Generals' allowances?'

Interesting to note, however, that he is not above embellishing the truth when it suits:

Spent £150,000 in allowances above his salary in 2006/07... :roll: