No promotion after 55? Catch 22.

I left as a full screw in '99 and rejoined a reserve unit at 50yrs old five years ago.
Two years ago I was 'delighted' to be given the opportunity to do my Juniors (CLM in new money) again. I passed without any snags and then had to wait the obligatory two years until this Sept to get made (back) up to Cpl.
Except apparently, now aged 55, I am too old to get promoted. Catch 22?
The situation isn't helped by me also needing a B2 course that only crops up once a year (Feb 2020 being the next one).
Just to preempt some of the incoming- My last SJAR was glowing (Recommend for promotion etc), there is a vacant post and my unit do genuinely want to promote me.
Is there a precedent for challenging this with Glasgow?
Advice gratefully received.

Think you answered your own dilemma.

Sadly for you, if that is the rules, I doubt that they will get changed for an individual
Sure, but when the Army increased the upper age limit to 50, it would have been sensible to rethink the promotion criteria.....oh, hang on! There I go again, answering my own question.

I left as a full screw in '99 and rejoined a reserve unit at 50yrs old five years ago.
Two years ago I was 'delighted' to be given the opportunity to do my Juniors (CLM in new money) again. I passed without any snags and then had to wait the obligatory two years until this Sept to get made (back) up to Cpl.
The situation isn't helped by me also needing a B2 course that only crops up once a year (Feb 2020 being the next one).
Just to preempt some of the incoming- My last SJAR was glowing (Recommend for promotion etc), there is a vacant post and my unit do genuinely want to promote me.
Put in a service complaint you might get a positive ruling

I was under the impression that AR soldiers were going to be allowed to serve to 60, the same as officers, and that this change was imminent.

I was under the impression that AR soldiers were going to be allowed to serve to 60, the same as officers, and that this change was imminent.
Yup...they'll happily allow me to serve until I'm 60 (extended every year), but they won't promote! Seems a tadge unfair. Pretty sure no other UK employer could do this.

I've just had to Google that! Thanks,
I'll plough through it this evening.
Don’t forget that as you’re still serving it has to go through your CoC, not the Ombudsman, and always consider the informal routes first. Going straight for the SC can look a bit chippy.

At the very least, discuss it with your OC before launching. You’d be surprised how mobilising the prospect of an imminent SC can be (and how helpful people can be when they learn that it isn’t aimed at them!).

That said, attacking policy is a damned sight harder than deviant behaviour. It can be done, but in my experience you have to make a watertight case.

But good luck! I think that the age boundaries are rooted in the norms of the 1950s and in serious need of a scrub (which I believe that the mysterious Project CASTLE has been set up to do).

I suspect that somewhere in the small print of something you signed there will have been reference to age and promotion. The organisation will know where to look and while your enthusiasm is worthy a Service Complaint is unlikely to succeed unless the policy has been incorrectly applied. The fact that you don’t agree with said policy counts for nothing.

Word any complaint carefully, and mention age discrimination. While the army is not bound by this piece of legislation it is meant to abide by the principles whenever possible and not placing operational risk. I would argue this is a clear case of that and policy on promotion not catching up with policy on employment.

Edit speeeling

Yup...they'll happily allow me to serve until I'm 60 (extended every year), but they won't promote! Seems a tadge unfair. Pretty sure no other UK employer could do this.
I was under the impression that service to 60 for AR soldiers would be the new norm, so no overage extensions from 55. It might be worth posing the question on the AR Hub on Defence Connect.

It wasn't too long ago the AR had a clear out of old and bold by denying all extensions over the age of 55 so count yourself lucky to be in at all.

As for promotion, I agree with your point that age should not completely exclude you however if you are denying a young thruster the chance to progress, holding his career back a year, possibly denying him the chance to attend trade courses and promotion courses I would have to go with them.

Thanks for all the advice. My OC is onside, and I'll certainly craft and letters with care. I think the point made about an SC only being valid where policy has been incorrectly applied is probably very true. Maybe a letter to my MP (with the OCs blessing) might generate some changes in the policy. Almost certainlly wont benefit me but.....

It wasn't too long ago the AR had a clear out of old and bold by denying all extensions over the age of 55 so count yourself lucky to be in at all.

As for promotion, I agree with your point that age should not completely exclude you however if you are denying a young thruster the chance to progress, holding his career back a year, possibly denying him the chance to attend trade courses and promotion courses I would have to go with them.
Couldnt agree more, except I'm not going to be blocking anyone.

Thanks for all the advice. My OC is onside, and I'll certainly craft and letters with care. I think the point made about an SC only being valid where policy has been incorrectly applied is probably very true. Maybe a letter to my MP (with the OCs blessing) might generate some changes in the policy. Almost certainlly wont benefit me but.....
It does seem silly given we are a drastically different population now. It’s not unusual for competitive athletes to be active in their fifties now. The army needs to move with the times.

chimera

LE
My current AR unit has a 60+ year old NCO still serving on one year rolling extensions. He has not promoted in sub rank, but moved into an acting rank post, and is still serving on.

No advice to give. Good effort in signing on again - age is a record of time not ability.

I am in the same situation. I joined a month before my 51st. I picked up to L/Bdr last April and did my pnco cadre in September.

Currently the upper age limit is 55. After that you have to extend one year at a time until 60. You cannot currently promote in your last year, and if your are into extensions you are always in your last year. As has been said, you'd have thought when the Army raised the upper joining age, they'd raise the retirement age too, but that would have been too logical.

There are moves afoot to raise the the age limit, being pushed forward by GOC Home Command, and if it occurs I'm claiming that, as I put the idea in his head and nagged him about it three years ago (seriously...he's actually an old friend from school!). If this happens then all avenues to promote will become open. I'm keeping my fingers crossed

I am in the same situation. I joined a month before my 51st. I picked up to L/Bdr last April and did my pnco cadre in September.

Currently the upper age limit is 55. After that you have to extend one year at a time until 60. You cannot currently promote in your last year, and if your are into extensions you are always in your last year. As has been said, you'd have thought when the Army raised the upper joining age, they'd raise the retirement age too, but that would have been too logical.

There are moves afoot to raise the the age limit, being pushed forward by GOC Home Command, and if it occurs I'm claiming that, as I put the idea in his head and nagged him about it three years ago (seriously...he's actually an old friend from school!). If this happens then all avenues to promote will become open. I'm keeping my fingers crossed
Good effort, keep me posted?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
robbo2347 Reports & Promotion 5
F Reports & Promotion 9
N Gunners 18