No no no nine billion times no

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by oldbloke, Feb 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nine billion pounds to fund the olympics in 2012. You can bet your life it won't end there if the Dome and Wembley are anything to go by. What could the forces and NHS do with even a small amount of that?

I am totally peed off with this total waste of our money.

2. I guess like everyone on this forum I have to live within my means, I cannot decide to spend 3 or 4 times my income.
    The same should apply to the Olympic Games , the first figure given , about 2.6 billion should be all they get , after all it is just a load of prima donnas running , jumping and throwing things , plus a few minor other bits.
    If they want more let them pay for it
    Just think what these sums of money could do for the troops injured in the sand pit .

3. How many years is it going to take the British tax payer to pay for this little lot, and not just tax payers in London, as I imagine all over UK will be shelling out. Bet that makes people in places like the North East really happy.

4. Nine Billion quid!

Christ, you could have a new programme of submarine launched intercontinental ballistic missiles for that...

5. I remember the media slagging off the Greeks because they were running behind schedule and the cost etc, you just know it's going to be worse here.

6. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Utter bullocks and a bludgy disgrace ... but what do you expect from the to**er Government that's doing it.

I feel really soory for the people of the UK ...another bit of Bliar's legacy that the people will pay for ... big time, for years and years after it's all been done and dusted [bit like the bludgy Dome, really].

And BTW ... it's already being suggested that the final figure could be £20 Bn.

Why don't they set up a permanent site [perhaps in Greece, as they started it all] and all patricipating countries chip in to fund it?

7. Not forgetting of course that £400million of that is being paid to some outfit whose job it is to keep costs down.

8. I want my aircraft carriers instead.

9. And I'm sure when reading through the final medals table, a bronze in clay pigeon shooting will make it all seem worthwhile.

10. Does anyone have an estimate on the amount of money which will be spent in the UK as a result of the games? That after all, along with urban regeneration, is the whole point of having them here.

11. No the whole point of anything the Brits do when it comes to sport is show how crap we are at them...

mmmm you can get a lot of booze and prossies for that kind of money...and better spent in my opinion

12. No the whole point of anything the Brits do when it comes to sport is show how crap we are at them...

mmmm you can get a lot of booze and prossies for that kind of money...and better spent in my opinion

Bugger thats the second time this has happened in two days!! am i double tapping the submit button, is my computer conspiring against me...Its Liarbours fault i tell you!!!!!!

13. I heard you the first time, but let's get this clear. You think there is no financial benefit to the citizens of the UK, London in particular, from holding the games here?

14. Looks like the deficit might be slightly higher.

So there are benefits.

15. 70,000 jobs is excellent and the prospect of 9,000 new homes on former brownfield sites is even better. What would enhance that would be if the prices of those homes were capped and sales restricted to first time buyers for the first six months of sale.