No more Oiks. Classical Greek required

Audi!? Would take you up to lower middle class at best.
Wrong my second son, a working man, left school with nothing. trained painter and decorator. self taught Carbon fibre and GRP fabricator, now works for a Formula 1 racing team near Silverstone, earns well over a grand a week. .Works 70-80 hours a week...................................... Drives an Audi 4, paid cash. . ;)

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Interesting that it was a WO they are quoting. I suspect that even if a public school boy officer thought it he probably wouldn't be crass enough to say it, especially not to the Daily mail.

I think any officers mess needs diversity in its membership. A mess of Eton and Harrow old boys would not be any more desirable than a mess of LEs. If there is an issue I suspect its a lack of DE officers rather than posh boys.

Interesting that it was a WO they are quoting. I suspect that even if a public school boy officer thought it he probably wouldn't be crass enough to say it, especially not to the Daily mail.

I think any officers mess needs diversity in its membership. A mess of Eton and Harrow old boys would not be any more desirable than a mess of LEs. If there is an issue I suspect its a lack of DE officers rather than posh boys.
You’re saying they need more Wykehamists?

Apparently - according to them what know - the are more Old Harrovians and OEs in the WOs’ & Sgts’ Mess than there are in the Officers’ Mess. Not sure if that’s a dit inflated by spinning, but there are more than a few ex-Officers who couldn’t pass Officer’s Week and instead resigned their commissions…

QRK2

LE

Apparently - according to them what know - the are more Old Harrovians and OEs in the WOs’ & Sgts’ Mess than there are in the Officers’ Mess. Not sure if that’s a dit inflated by spinning, but there are more than a few ex-Officers who couldn’t pass Officer’s Week and instead resigned their commissions…

That all sounds a bit Artistic.

A mess of Eton and Harrow old boys would not be any more desirable than a mess of LEs.
That's a death knell for the Foot Guards and Household Cav, then.

Alternatively, do you think we can look forward to 1 Grens appointing a CO with a regional/estuary English accent, state school education and mixed race parentage any time this side of Ragnarok?

Here's something related to Officers in the British Army and their traditions that seems fantastic to me. A little dated perhaps (1989) but I'll bet the jolly old mess hasn't changed that much.

Here's something related to Officers in the British Army and their traditions that seems fantastic to me. A little dated perhaps (1989) but I'll bet the jolly old mess hasn't changed that much.

Yes tradition is very important in the British Army. The fact that most regiments in the British Army having being amalgamated several times since 1989 notwithstanding. However you will probably find most cavalry OC's ancestor had his SSM's ancestor flogged. Familly regiments you see.

If that's the episode I think it is, it's my old mob's dinner night.
No idea, but volume 2 has some old boys in boiler suits and medals showing the young signalers how to make a pyramid of messengers on 1 motorcycle.

Old Messegers.JPG

Wee Hawken

War Hero

Massively inflated. You wouldn't want Harrovians in ANY mess.

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
That's a death knell for the Foot Guards and Household Cav, then.

Alternatively, do you think we can look forward to 1 Grens appointing a CO with a regional/estuary English accent, state school education and mixed race parentage any time this side of Ragnarok?
I think that has boat has already sailed at least in part. IRRC a state school educated Mercian took over as CO in 2016.

Last edited:
state school educated Mercian took over as CO in 2016
Interesting as that is (the astonishingly ordinary yet stuck-up WFR element of the Mercians having pi$sed me off for about 25 years), it's not the Household.

Until that's a stronghold utterly broken, there's work to be done.

Damn. I came back to this thread thinking that I'd posted a thoroughly spiky (but not pompous) comment which would razor through some of the issues raised, with a few personalities speared and a few notions sliced into tiny, tiny pieces but I hadn't. Thought about it, and composed it, but must have been distracted by a big shiny dog or something.

That's age and pilsner, and some whisky at work. At least I haven't committed a major faux-pas, at which I'm a Nobel Prize grade candidate. Carry on.

Last edited:
I think that has boat has already sailed at least in part. IRRC a state school educated Mercian took over as CO in 2016.
What! A non Guards officer taking over as CO of a Guards battalion? Pull the other one. You will be telling me that they have got women in the Infantry next!

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
Interesting as that is (the astonishingly ordinary yet stuck-up WFR element of the Mercians having pi$sed me off for about 25 years), it's not the Household.

Until that's a stronghold utterly broken, there's work to be done.
To clarify the state educated Mercian took over as CO of 1 Gren in 2016 then moved on to higher things

Latest Threads