No more Oiks. Classical Greek required

Coming from a military where the officers overwhelmingly come from the middle-class (including myself), I read this and think WTF. I just don’t understand the fixation on class in the British Army.
Thats because as Stacker has so kindly pointed out its made up bollocks. Like SAS escape dressed in Burqa's - Daily Star and 40 SAS men volunteer to stay behind in Afghanistan to avenge Marine comrades - Daily Mirror. All tabloid rags.

Thats because as Stacker has so kindly pointed out its made up bollocks. Like SAS escape dressed in Burqa's - Daily Star and 40 SAS men volunteer to stay behind in Afghanistan to avenge Marine comrades - Daily Mirror. All tabloid rags.
That’s good to hear. Sometimes it’s hard to separate what was from what is.

Ritch

LE
They need soldiers who can handle the otherworldly horrors they face when fighting in the DUMBs.

Oh shut up you wibbling fantasist. DUMB's or Deep Underground Military Bases aren't holding child sex workers and aren't harvesting adrenochrome from them either.

You really do need psychiatric help.

Oh shut up you wibbling fantasist. DUMB's or Deep Underground Military Bases aren't holding child sex workers and aren't harvesting adrenochrome from them either.

You really do need psychiatric help.
Oddly enough, I've heard a rumor about that too. It was on Aliens the Series or summat. :?
Supposedly the US Navy went down to Antarctica in 1947 under Admiral Byrd and got their asses handed to them by aliens in flying saucers that shot out green laser shit. As if WW II fighting the Japanese and the Germans wasn't excitement enough.
Tsoulkalos meme.JPG

Coming from a military where the officers overwhelmingly come from the middle-class (including myself), I read this and think WTF. I just don’t understand the fixation on class in the British Army.

Actually the fixation is in the Press. / Media.

Also 'well-educated' and 'upper-class' are not always synonymous.

Greek, Latin. One thinks that one knows, as do most.

One also thinks that 'confidence' may not be something in the core curriculum at scumbag comp, while at Eton it's taken for granted. To be brutal.

The Mail may indeed be making it all up, as the reporter's Source appears to be 'some SAS WO' met in a pub, who sat in the Point of Domination of the room, eyeing all incomers with a steely glint, a hidden steel comb and a slightly shaky hand. One for the road, guv?

If you're going to hide a steel comb...

images

Have you seen any of the "Sharpe" series, i think the episodes in horse guards between our hero, sir Henry Simmonson, and the minister of war lord Fenner encapsulate the class divide in the British military. My time in green 1972-1981, with my first posting in london, i came into contact with many hooray Henry's and senior officers who's self entitlement was monumental. In BAOR one young lieutenant ( N*** D******) would at the drop of a hat explain to all in earshot that his uncle was the former lord chief justice, and his family own half of Scotland etc, he can only be described as an insufferable prig. One of the many reasons i took my 9 year option and left, was because of being talked down to by officers younger, and with less time served than me. :salut:

Last edited:

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Have some uncouth types been seen eating sandwiches with their hands?

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
That’s true, and something that really irritates me. My family is very much working class/middle class, and have fought in all of America’s wars going back to the Civil War, wars that were fought in the main to the benefit of the rich.

Rich man’s war - poor man’s fight

Oyibo

LE

With very few exceptions (all from the Household Division) I never encountered any 'class fixation' in the British Army. It is a meme that the media uses to sell papers/airtime etc.

With very few exceptions (all from the Household Division) I never encountered any 'class fixation' in the British Army. It is a meme that the media uses to sell papers/airtime etc.
I’m guessing you’ve not the pleasure of serving in the same garrison as a Royal Artillery regiment, or even worse, RHA?
particularly where they are alongside a cavalry regiment. Best observed in the saddle club.

Oyibo

LE
I’m guessing you’ve not the pleasure of serving in the same garrison as a Royal Artillery regiment, or even worse, RHA?
particularly where they are alongside a cavalry regiment. Best observed in the saddle club.

Only 7 RHA. On reflection though, there was quite a bit of snobbishness in some Scottish regiments.

But I do think that the number of snobs in officers' messes (outside the Household Division) were vastly outweighed by those who were not snobs.

The same can be said for inverted snobbery or 'officer hating' - Yes there were some, but they were in the minority.

Neither the snobs or inverted snobs were in any way representative of the ethos of the British Army.

That’s true, and something that really irritates me. My family is very much working class/middle class, and have fought in all of America’s wars going back to the Civil War, wars that were fought in the main to the benefit of the rich.

Rich man’s war - poor man’s fight
Creedence Clearwater Revival walt

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Absence of class carries a serious risk of being mistaken for the RAF.

Yokel

LE

It is a distraction to things like working out how to win the next war.

If only I’d passed selection, I could’ve been a contender I tell ya!

Marlon Brando walt.

Anyway, back to newspapers making things up. Does anyone remember the 1991 Sun article in which they claimed that the SAS had pretended to be motorcycle reaper men when laser designating targets for air attack. Shades of Monty Python and 'Bicycle repair man'.

Latest Threads