No more Oiks. Classical Greek required

Maybe - just maybe - this is an indication that an education which includes duty, responsibility and some amo, amas, amat, etc and rather less drill in searching eGov documents for rights and benefits is required?

I wonder whether any comprehensive, incidentally, even mentions Cannae in 'History'. For one small example.

Maybe - just maybe - this is an indication that an education which includes duty, responsibility and some amo, amas, amat, etc and rather less drill in searching eGov documents for rights and benefits is required?

I wonder whether any comprehensive, incidentally, even mentions Cannae in 'History'. For one small example.
I know at least one SAS officer who went to a sink estate comp and commissioned from the ranks. Thoroughly top bloke.

Or maybe the Daily Mail is making up bollocks as usual.

One hesitates to point out the obvious, but amo, amas, amat is Latin rather than Greek.

Equally, I am sure that the Scottish education system does indeed mention “Cannae”.

As in “I really don’t see the point in trying to educate you cvnts, if ye cannae be fcuked to pay attention” :)

One hesitates to point out the obvious, but amo, amas, amat is Latin rather than Greek.

Equally, I am sure that the Scottish education system does indeed mention “Cannae”.

As in “I really don’t see the point in trying to educate you cvnts, if ye cannae be fcuked to pay attention” :)
Greek, Latin. One thinks that one knows, as do most.

One also thinks that 'confidence' may not be something in the core curriculum at scumbag comp, while at Eton it's taken for granted. To be brutal.

The Mail may indeed be making it all up, as the reporter's Source appears to be 'some SAS WO' met in a pub, who sat in the Point of Domination of the room, eyeing all incomers with a steely glint, a hidden steel comb and a slightly shaky hand. One for the road, guv?

Meh - some pissed of NCO who wasn’t’ able to get one over on his troop commander who was from a rougher, shittier school than him, and was fitter, and smarter, and didn’t buy the Andy McNab working class ‘ero bollocks.

Meh - some pissed of NCO who wasn’t’ able to get one over on his troop commander who was from a rougher, shittier school than him, and was fitter, and smarter, and didn’t buy the Andy McNab working class ‘ero bollocks.
Oh, I say.

Fiver for the bus home, Boss?

We need another clickbait article. Meghan and Harry, the Tennis girl, and COVID outrage stories are all taken care of. What shall I write?

Do something with animal cruelty or animal rescue.

Not in the mood.

Paedophiles?

Nah...

Allright, phone the head of security. He owes me a favour. See if he can whistle up a quick SAS story - he still knows all that lot. Any pub gossip will do and we'll tart it up if we have to.

We need another clickbait article. Meghan and Harry, the Tennis girl, and COVID outrage stories are all taken care of. What shall I write?

Do something with animal cruelty or animal rescue.

Not in the mood.

Paedophiles?

Nah...

Allright, phone the head of security. He owes me a favour. See if he can whistle up a quick SAS story - he still knows all that lot. Any pub gossip will do and we'll tart it up if we have to.

I thought Colonel Caubeen of arrse fame was proof that if you wanted to be a respectable rank with SAS connections then a classical education was mandatory, how else would one quote Latin phrases across the net?

Incidentally, most classical scholars couldn't give a monkeys about Cannae or Salamis. That was proved when the finest classical minds fkd up the Treaty of Versailles. They aren't trained to think historically or to read Thucydides, J.C. and Plutarch as guidance for human nature, all they care about is the language.

Union Jack

Old-Salt

Try this one for starters!

Jack

Colonel Caubeen of arrse fame was proof that if you wanted to be a respectable rank with SAS connections then a classical education was mandatory, how else would one quote Latin phrases across the net?
I miss him. What he didn't know of shooting jackets wasn't worth knowing. I'm sure I met his brother (or close relative) once, in a Landrover in some vile exercise in some vile German snowstorm in 1979. Terribly laidback, and sure of his navigation, while visibility was at the front bumper, he casually, but authoritatively said; "hier links fahren" and we hit a tree. Good with apologies, though, and later became some sort of battalion commander. Infantry, I understand.

Coming from a military where the officers overwhelmingly come from the middle-class (including myself), I read this and think WTF. I just don’t understand the fixation on class in the British Army.

Coming from a military where the officers overwhelmingly come from the middle-class (including myself), I read this and think WTF. I just don’t understand the fixation on class in the British Army.
Perhaps you don't understand the appeal of class-warfare between the editorial stances of the Daily Mail and Morning Star. Both have their adherents, and both are, inherently, right in their views, given the positions in our society which their readers believe themselves to be in. It's a situation where everything shifts - quite quickly, sometimes - depending on who has the currently chosen victimhood.
In the UK, as in the US, there's a very large constituency which currently believes (or wants to believe) that a certain sector of society is inherently evil, while another is oppressed and pure. It's all balls, but it's good for dinner parties and mobs.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
There's a reason for that, of course - the US upper classes don't join the Army, whether in the ranks or via the various routes to a commission. Who was the last Groton/Harvard/Yale type you met in uniform?

There's a reason for that, of course - the US upper classes don't join the Army, whether in the ranks or via the various routes to a commission. Who was the last Groton/Harvard/Yale type you met in uniform?
That’s true, and something that really irritates me. My family is very much working class/middle class, and have fought in all of America’s wars going back to the Civil War, wars that were fought in the main to the benefit of the rich.

Rich man’s war - poor man’s fight

It may not be a bad thing. The ethos of the SAS was to recruit from elsewhere.
Or am I missing something?
Indeed it has always been so:
1.jpeg

The Hitchin lot (C Sqn), were always a bit drab, though. Downmarket, really. Very few Public School types; more your plumber, carpenter, bank manager or doctor type. Now, A and B Sqns had all sorts: students, layabouts, arms dealers, lawyers, criminals, former Para Regt, RAMC and RCT sorts. D Sqn we just don't talk about. And that's just the weekenders. Lord knows what ghastly types the regulars take. I hate to think.

That’s true, and something that really irritates me. My family is very much working class/middle class, and have fought in all of America’s wars going back to the Civil War, wars that were fought in the main to the benefit of the rich.

Rich man’s war - poor man’s fight
Who won?

Latest Threads