No more MSQ's

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by beemer007, Feb 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, Please delete/Move if already covered,

'Cutting the housing entitlement to around eight or 10 years of service is understood to be the preferred option although a deadline is yet to be agreed, the paper reported. Afterwards, military families would have to find accommodation for themselves'.

Married soldiers in housing wrangle - Yahoo!

Now, reducing the accommodation has been debated for a while, especially as MSQ patch upgrades in certain parts of the Country has been delay due to funding,

So where's the keys? (pardon the pun)
  2. Good luck to the lads living in leafy Surrey and Central London.
  3. History and tradition should be followed and in keeping with equality rules it seems that this is being extended to ORs as well now. :)

Or maybe the 12% "on the regiment" wives living in the barracks is due for a comeback?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Isn't the cost of Quarters taken in to account in the renumeration package? (ie our wages).
  5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Might be ok for the Navy where bods tend to have a 'home' base and can swop drafts but do they really expect people to be able to move between Catterick & Colchester and buy & sell a house at the drop of a hat.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I think the intention with the Super Garrisons is to keep people in the same area for as long as possible. And the Army are going to have to used to weekend commuting for those times when you are sent from Catterick to Colchester for 2 years.
  7. Not to mention pay civvie rates. Find accomodation near by work. Could be expensive for those woking in the SE.
  8. Just realised that this is one of those "it could be worse" stories.

So be ready for a massive increase in Quarter rents and the like and if you complain you will be told "well it is either that or no quarters at all, you saw the report".
  9. MQs are our equivalent of Council Housing. I trust that local authorities are going to take up the slack, especially as in order to get a family out of quarters, they will have to issue an eviction notice, which will leave the family homeless through no fault of their own, and covered by the legislation which compels local authorities to house them. I fully expect the Govt (both local and national) to abide by the military covenant.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Could be even worse for Royal, spending most of their service in the South West but them getting a senior draft to either Fleet Protection or 45 before heading to the SW again.
  11. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

But that happens all the time. There are many Matelots and Bootnecks who have had to commute at weekends due to the assignment cycle. It is a real pain for single persons. I found having to have two TV Taxes the most galling.

My understanding from recent Internal notes (A DIN I think but not sure) is that we may have things like allowances to rent if required to move outside of "base port area" and the like. It is part of the wider New Employment Model of trying to settle people in to one area for the majority of their time with the need to move outside of it limited.

One to watch for sure.
  12. Although it is technically in the SE, it would be more accurate to say it lies within the Greater London Urban Area!
  13. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

Been beaten to it (damn you DII) have to admit to having seen early packages of NEMS work in my last job but didn't have a close eye on where it was all heading, I'd been led to believe the view was that MQs were sacrosanct, but clearly pensions and MQs are very much on the table.I suspect all the stars will collide and 2015 will be a year of the mass exodus, indeed increasingly I can't see why any sane person with tranferable skills would elect to remain in Service after 2015.Guns, I know the note you refer to (I think) - it was part of the "what could NEMS could loook like" series. I think the idea of a new allowance for accomodation is quite fanciful, once we lose MQs from their current format I suspect it will be bloody difficult for anyone to claim 'rent' allowance and you can be sure that CEA rules will be revised in the same timeframe making it almost impossible for people to claim that.NEMS and the new pension scheme really will be the death of the Military, what is the incentive to stay and perhaps more importantly what will be the differentiators that will draw in future talented people?
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Yep, it might have to go back to the days when everyone joining up was pretty much a singly.

Have also often thought that they could do some kind of entry condition that says that you don't get SFA until you're a certain rank/age/Time in Service, or a combination/calculation of all three.

The money saved could be given to all ranks as a pay rise ;-)
  15. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Realistically, expect SFA to be by exception rather than the rule within the next 5 to 10 years, the same as it is for other types of employment.

My best guess would be no SFA provided at your base "Super Garrison" area, but SFA or suitable rental allowance for periods posted married accompanied outside your permanent base. If you are "permanently" based in Colchester, you will be responsible for your own accomodation there, but a 2 year posting to Catterick will come with the option of weekend commuting or SFA.