No More Junior Soldiers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by elovabloke, Sep 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

I see the joined up thinking "Think Tank" is in operation again. This from a Guppyment that cannot get 12 year olds to stay in school

No More MDN's hooorrraaa. Bloody brats were nothing but trouble anyway.

2. From the BBC article...

Kids will still be able to leave school and a get a job at 16, providing that they are provided with formal training which leads towards a recognised qualification while in that job.

DCFS Document

At the Army Foundation College, students

...which satisfies the requirement.

3. What about JE soldiers not at Harrogate? Do the Key Skills ticks in boxes and any other transefrable quals give them the same to allow dropping of school at 16?

And what if they are jsut crap at school and don't get those quals from there? Do you keep them in education until they're 26?

4. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

That covers Harrogate however I fail to see how they will be able to implement controls for those that jack it during training.

5. The Level 2 Certificate in Wider Key Skills that is gained at the Army Training Regiment (ATR) at Bassingbourn certainly ticks the box, as an accredited qualification.

Not being an expert, I don't know if there are any other routes into the army aged 16 or 17.

No, they only have to participate in education or training until their 18th birthday.

6. Is this the same Government that wanted/want to give 16 year olds the vote and are now forcing them to stay in education until 17?

Do they actually have a cucking clue about anything these muppets?

7. Before we all hop on to the outrage bus, it should be clarified that 'education' doesn't equate to 'school'.

Kids won't be forced to stay in school. Instead they'll actually have to go and do something practical with whatever academic qualifications they achieved. For some that could be going to college for more academic stuff, for others it could be getting on-the-job qualifications as a builder/carpenter/electrician/basket weaver, and for some it will be to go to Harrogate or Winchester.

I think it's a good thing. Now little Johnny who failed all his GCSEs for being a disrespectful chav mong will actually have to go and get a qualification(s) in something practical to stop him being a further waste of state resources.

The only danger is if the lowest acceptable form of post-GCSE education really is basket weaving.

8. As mentioned above, they can´t keep the kids in at the current age. how are thy going to tackle this.

9. How or will this effect EMA payments?
    Can't seem to find any mention.

10. Isn't it just another desperate measure to reduce unemployment figures?

Quick! Only seven more years to find some more teachers - hopefully qualified in their teaching subjects. :roll:

11. I would wager that a fair few of the 189,500 quoted, whilst not in "education, employment or training" are doing very nicely thank-you.

...Drug dealing, prostitution, shop-lifting, thieving and mugging. Typical government take on the young, as being a group of idle, good for nothings, with no education and prospects.

12. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Getting company's to employ someone and then get them released or do on the job NVQ or other training is proving to be imposable.

Even giving employers incentives to take on apprentices is not going well so as with the 14-16 who schools have kicked out it's of to college with you my lad. Oh and buy the way we aren’t going to pay most of you for going either.

Being a governor at our FE College these are problems, sorry challenges we face every year.