No more higher pay band??

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by danny842003, Jun 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi theres a buzz going around work at the moment about plans to scrap the 2 tier pay band system. Apparently there was an article in soldier. I looked through the online edition but coudnt spot it. Does anyone know if this is true? I imagine there is some truth to it. But i cant see them cutting people wages who are already on the higher pay band. And i also cant see them increasing everyone elses wages to the higher pay band.
    Any help would be great hate gash buzzs.

2. Yes they are considering changing it back to when it was before pay 2000, well pay 2001. If they do change it back it will not happen for a while yet, maybe within the next 5 – 10 years.

3. Doesn't make sense. It was a three tier pay system before payslash 2000. So surely it would complicate things even further.

Although they have made things difficult anyway with Navy Divers and other trades across the 3 services having their own pay band.

Kind of makes a mockery of the whole thing.

4. RAO briefed us up last week on returning from the DSPS seminar - the higher/lower pay band will go. No details on what form it will take however pay cuts cannot happen - so everyone on higher band?

5. Some trades will suffer if everyone is on the same band.

6. How - if everyone is on the higher band?

7. There are always those who consider (rightly or wrongly, that particular arguement is the purpose of this post) that they are of more value than someone of a differing trade. Broadly my experience teaches me that those who believe themselves to be of more monetary value to the Army (due to trade quals etc) are those who's skils are more easily transferred into civi street (often for more money).

I'd expect that from the basic viewpoint of recruitment and retention having one payband for everyone would be a non-starter.

8. I can see how this will work: everyone goes on low band! Easy.

If you're already low band = no problem
    If you're high band = make up the different with Special Pay (SP)

So, no losers? Expect SP won't count towards your pensionable salary, eh?

Happy days MOD/Government. Cnuts the lot of 'em.

9. I would of thought it was the increments they want to get rid of rather than the two bands. If things arent broke enough :(

10. Would the Officers increments be abolished also?

Something tells me not.

11. Surely with VEng, we need MORE increments rather than fewer?

Otherwise, people end up stuck on the highest pay band for years, motivationally (and budgetwise), it would be better to get a smaller pay rise every year rather than be stuck without an increment rise.

Tubs