No More Flashman

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by up_periscope, Jan 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. , nor any more Macauslan neither! RIP George MacDonald Fraser, with thanks for all the insights - from a simple sailor.
  2. msr

msr LE

Quartered Safe Out Here has to be one of the finest military memoirs available.

Now, just to get my copy back....

3. A sad day indeed.

What good bloke he was. Border Regiment in Burma, Gordons post war. I'll miss his work greatly.
  4. Bugger, I always enjoyed old flashy. An inspired idea executed well by GMF. I always felt that I had learnt some real history having read any of his stories.

5. This sad passing brings the end to many legends.

Great work George.
  6. Gutted.

Still, my father gets another drinking buddy.

7. RIP

A Wonderful Storyteller
  8. Bugger.

But what a legacy of work he has left behind. I'm anxiously awaiting his last book "The Reavers" to be published over here.
  9. What a bloody, bloody shame.

Thank you for Flashman, QSOH and all the rest. You were our greatest living writer. A truly sad loss.
  10. Bugger. Great shame. Bought a signed copy of his last book "The Reavers" for my dad for Christmas. Always wanted to meet the bloke, I suppose I'll have to wait a while now.
  11. Damned shame to hear of his death.
    I found the "flashy" books both funny and I think well researched.

I bet more than a few have galloped through the Khyber, farting as they go.

RIP matey
  12. They'll be raising a glass to him in the Gandamack Lodge, Kabul, tonight.
  13. A sad loss, his Flashman books should be compulsory reading for secondary school pupils, a shame we will never find out what "Flash Harry" did get up to during the ACW! Fought for the Blue and the Grey as only Flashy could!

Thanks GMF.
  14. Enjoyed his books, now where is that cassette of him reading one on the radio. One of his less known non fiction was the Hollywood history of the world.

If you are yet to read Mr American do so you will love it, Pyrates is humorous.