No more allegiance to Her Maj. Am I the ONLY one concerned??

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Up_In_Arms, Jan 25, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got a link?

2. Wouldn't be the first British rozzer tha didn't have to do it...

3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Members of the other constituent agencies, HM Customs and Excise and the Immigration and Nationality Service, don't swear oaths to anyone currently.

4. As long as the Army and the other two services do (and I don't see that changing in the near future), I think the pro-republic types will stand off. For now, at least.

Are we just being paranoid?

5. I was always under the impression that what made the UK different in this respect was that the Armed Forces or Police swore an oath to the monarch and not some dodgy politicians. The monarch is neutral, in France and various other states pledging allegience to the government was subject to coups and revolution (1REP) when things did not go the military or other parties way.

This could be the thin edge of the wedge

What would the opinion of Arrse users be if during their service they had to swear an oath to Blair, Major, Maggie or previous? I do understand the heirs and sucessors and the "her ministers" bit in the oath but I think we all know that it was to Betty Windsor who we were really giving an oath to, even if the monarchy is not a big deal to many at least the monarchy is not tainted by politics and occasionally pipes up for us.

An oath to the state/government? 8O 8O cheap

6. I've approached their rumour control office, won't hold my breath!.

7. God Save the Queen, Long live Her Majesty and send all those republicans to the Tower!!!

8. It'd be an interesting conflict of interests if servicemen did ever have to choose between monarch or parliament.

Where would you stand, are you a roundhead or a cavalier? I quite fancy being a Prince Rupert myself (without all that gay hair obviously).

9. Roundhead or Royalist? Hmmm.. The HAC had this dilemma during the ECW and ended up with elements on both sides. Don't think they actually ended up fighting each other but if they did it would have been VERY Civil of course.

On the Restoration the Regiment resumed business as usual but it must have led to some interesting war stories for a few years until it all died down!

The Corps of Drums claim to have had blokes on Oliver Cromwell's funeral, but I doubt there'd be the same rush to swear allegiance to Neue Arbeit or Europe if that should be suggested.

10. Royalist here!!

11. Was anyone from Corps of Drumes there when he was dug up and exhibited as traitor?

12. If there was any digging to be done there's a fair bet that the Drummers would have got dicked for it!

13. In Cromwells day I'd have been a Parliamentarian as I do not believe in the divine right of kings:

Today I'd be a Royalist as I don't believe in the divine right of B Liar and neue arbite