No legal right to kill Gaddafi

Discussion in 'Syria, Mali, Libya, Middle East & North Africa' started by Barnabas, Mar 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Well if the Americans are saying that they are not actively targeting him then he's bound to get hit.
  2. Haha, this is very true!!
  3. Personally I don't see what right we have to be getting involved in Libya let alone topping Gaddafi. Looks like Cameron is going the way of Blair.
  4. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

5. Killing leaders of countries was enshrined into US law after interference into South American regimes on Americas shite list.
    Leaders of the worlds countries are obviously anti head-shed killing as they may become targets themselves.
    It is not part of our laws tho' and I will always be an advocate of cutting off the head of hydra to prevent the deaths of many.
  6. Of course, it is absolutely legal to kill colonel Gadhafi. The UK is de facto at war with Libya. Killing an enemy soldier is quite legal.

Equally Libyan forces being in uniforms could quite legally kill any British soldier in any part of the World.
  7. Sounding more and more like a running goat-**** to me.

Half heard on Radio 4 this morning John Humphrys say words to the effect that the RAF 'of all people' are suggesting a 'flat top' be found in order to fly Harriers on and off it! Someone then said: 'Cameron would go ballistic' - implying that this suggestion had better not reach No. 10. Harriers operating from an aircraft carrier would be so much less expensive than the current 'plan'.

It was also postulated that the MOD had to fund this stupidity from its current budget! Has the failed, unlamented oaf Brown risen from the dead in the form of Osborne and the truly dreadful mandarins in The Treasury?

The country resembled a massive train-crash when Cameron took over, now it appears to me that somehow a huge goods train, travelling at great speed, has ploughed into the wreckage thereof.
  8. Brotherton Lad

There is no state of war. It's the enforcement of a UN Resolution, war is not mentioned. Gaddafi may use the rhetoric but he hasn't declared war either.
  9. Yesterday's Pentagon briefer said something along the lines off - 'we're not targeting the Col, but if he happens to be in one of the facilities we are targeting - unlucky!'.

10. Yes, I have read that, but there is more atrocities against civilians in other countries and the civilians that the UN is "protecting" are rebels, in other words they have taken up arms to fight their "government" and are doing quite well from what I hear.

As this is a "UN operation" in Africa, why weren't African or Arab countries used for this so called "no fly zone"?

edited to add, the only good thing about this is hopefully they will slot the **** who shot PC Fletcher.
  11. He only has to avoid wearing orange clothing and he will be fine. They might not be targetting him but they are probably sure as hell he might be collateral damage.
  12. Brotherton Lad

Ah, I see. I thought you said this:

"Personally I don't see what right we have to be getting involved in Libya let alone topping Gaddafi."
  13. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Sergei has it on the nose. No-one 'declares war' on anyone these days - that's forbidden under international law. The UN resolution does, however, certainly allow us to target/kill Gaddafi. he is a key C3 node - who tells the Army what to do, ultimately, if not the dictator? That's the whole point of being a dictator.

The nonsense in the media yesterday was just that - nonsesne - and CDS has been, apparently, put back in his box in no uncertain terms - and lost a bit of lustre in the process :)

In a reversed situation, you would be quite able to target our PM, as he is an integral part of the UK Firing Chain, but NOT HM The Queen, as she is not.
  14. Gaddafy Duck is a Colonel, therefore his is a military Officer and a legitimate target.