Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

no idea what job to go for?

pady

Swinger
Hi, i've got my BARB test on monday and can't decide what three jobs to put down. i'm thinking armoured engineer but just really wouldnt mind doing a more combat based role, and evan AS90 gunner. can anyone help

It's you're choice bud, you just need to work it out for you.
If you have the brains then go for something that you'll enjoy and can carry on with some £ when you come out...

I got 72 BARB, and going For Arti Observer, Hopefully going towards 7 Para RHA Artillery Attatchment.

Like you, I wanted something more along the lines of combat that "use of brain cells" , Ended up finding something along the middle of the two.

cheers for the reply, i did my barb yesterday and got 77. i've decided to put special obbo in the artillary down as number 1. peaople are telling me to go for just observer?

go for the infantry, all the other jobs in the army are to support them and almost every job is done on a regular basis by them although the trades wont like to hear that or the bleeps.
you want to use your brains then there is no better place to use them and have a combat role

If you want to do a few years and have a good time - go for the infantry. If you want to train for later life, go for a more technical job that you can use to make lots of wonga outside.

yorkie79 said:
go for the infantry, all the other jobs in the army are to support them and almost every job is done on a regular basis by them although the trades wont like to hear that or the bleeps.
you want to use your brains then there is no better place to use them and have a combat role

Really :? :?

I think not.

How long have you been in? (or are you in?)

Nice one Heid the ba :D

Pady yer a soldier first and foremost and a tradesman is yer second role.

Go for the Chef's course mate. The army will tell ye that its harder than selection for "THEM" as very few have actually passed it they say.

Good points - you'l never starve - its creative - u get to bang pots n pans about - most are booze hounds - u get to shout at people and go home in a good mood :D and they pay u for it

Bad points - the ungodly hours - the toms want chips with EVERYTHING

But I love it - did it before the green machine and will do it after too!!

There's more ways too kill someone than shooting them ye know lmao

yorkie79 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Breath! Breath! I'm....gonna.......passss......out! ;)

smudge67 said:
yorkie79 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Breath! Breath! I'm....gonna.......passss......out! ;)

Now, now Infanteer, breath in, now breath out, there's a good chap, now carry on............................. :wink:

yorkie79 said:

8)

Get back on track or the thread goes.

Job suggestions with good and bad points, leave the pissing contest for the NAAFI

Royal Signals. You get to have a trade that you can use once you eventually leave, one day they will make you even if you don't want to. You can do all the warry type stuff you want and even serve with THEM if so inclined. Postings are pretty good, where the Army is the Signals are. Oh and you can get to use your brains supporting all those clever infantry types :D

thanks for that to the boring people, if you would like to know my credentials for making that statement then PM me.

Id say if you are looking for transferable skills into civvie st you need to be looking at who you are and what you enjoy doing.
There are plenty of trades along a broad spectrum of units each with there own benefits and drow backs.

With regards to the infantry and using there brains then go and speak to some of them or ask me. Yes the trades people are required but as an inf section commander you are a leader, signaller, manager, tactian, teacher and many otheres. Speak to a brecon trained cpl and tell me he has to have no brains for the small arms section of the course.

At the end of the day its upto you and you only, choose wisely and if you stay in for 4 years or 22 years make the most of every oppurtunity you have got. take every course you can do, dont be jack and smile!