No Honours or Awards for RMP, again.

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by western, Mar 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why is it that RMP seem to be excluded from these nowerdays? Certainly if you go back through the Corps history Gallantry and valuable service awards have been won/earned by Corps members in every theatre of operations and Garrison locations.

Why is this so?

Is it because the RMP CoC can't be arsed with the write ups anymore?

Is the RMP CoC so removed from what the people are doing on operations that they are unaware of their achievements?

Do other COs write their own people up in preference?

Is the bar so high now that RMP could never achieve an award?

Do RMP no longer carry out duties which would expose them to awards?

I am sure that lots of people in the Corps have done remarkable things over the past ten years but there does seem to be very little recognition of their efforts.
  2. To answer:

Defineatley (thinking that the RMP CoC will do it anyway)

No (see point 2)

War story time: When I was in Iraq (yawn), although I was located with Coy HQ, my immediate CoC was 5 miles away. Also I was left on my tod to do my own thing (with respect to my job and who I was embedded with), so my own CoC didn't have a clue. FFS, I wrote my own operational report and I was full screw! The OC just made it flowery! Also, writing up a cpl for a gong, to the officers for some reason, implies they are not doing very well, so will not write you up, its a jealousy thing.
  3. Yup

See my bold
  4. RMP personnel are currently carrying out more hazardous duties than they have for years. Especially in Southern Afghanistan. The problem in my experience is that firstly they aren't seen by their own CoC in order for them to sufficiently give praise worthy enough of the proper recognition.

Lets face it the Honors and Awards board will have a lot of recommendations to look at and they will therefore air on the side of officers recommending their own troops, who they have observed themselves or have been recommeded from with a unit CoC.

RMP Senior Officers are not close enough to the front line to be able to write with the same authority.

Maybe an Infantry CO could write up a RMP NCO...........

5. Definitely. Its usually the screws who are embedded within the infantry units that are at the sharp end, the officers as we know spend a lot of there time in HQ's and are not very often in the thick of it.
  6. In the current operational environment, i do not believe the RMP, along with many others, are in the thick of the action. Hard to justify any medals for supporting arms (unless they do something truly spectacular) when the Inf are doing the fighting.
  7. When it comes to tactical questioning and prisoner handling, my hand goes out to the RMP's involved. A RMP sjt who was based at the palace last year worked his socks off. Apart form a few junior throbbers most of the RMP's I have spoke to worked with have been hard working in a unloved job so maybe they should get a wee bit more reward.

8. I don't think you get medals for working your socks off. I would guess that the reason for the paucity of decorations is more to do with where they do their work than how they do it. In my own corps the majority of deorations go to Recovery Mechanics because their acts are generally seen by lots of people.
  9. I agree, to get an award you really need to do something not only award worthy but conspicuously so.
  10. Increasingly over the past few years, the RMP role has changed from route recce's/signing/manning TP's to becoming embedded with the infantry, out on the ground, right in the thick of the action. Many RMP have been effective members of infantry sections, to the extent that they have also fixed bayonets when neccesary and closed with the enemy. Its a shame that so few of them receive the recognition they fully deserve.
  11. My experience of The RMP Juniors attatched to our Battle Group on Op Telic 4 say very, very different. We had Monkeys out with us on pretty much every Patrol we ever did and a few often volunteered to take their turn on the GPMG, 351, other heavy kit in order to do their bit.

The ones at Baath Party HQ and OSB (Probably others all over theatre too but what I actually saw) were involved in Company level Advance to contacts, FIBUA in general, IED's, Sangar Contacts and offensive operations, at the sharp end.

They certainly earned my respect (Considering my prior opinions of Monkeys weren't all that great) getting on with tasks and jobs above and beyond what they should be expected to do as coppers not Mechanised and Armoured Infantry Soldiers!
  12. Ah right well you see to get an award in an infantry role they would have to not just do as well as but actually better than the infantry themselves. Now I am not trying to put the RMP down here but I think the infantry should be able to do their own job better than attached individuals of whatever cap badge.
  13. Not so.

If you had a Chef attatched to you and he fixed bayonets and took a MG position would you not say he had gone "Above and Beyond" and clearly deserves a Mention in Dispatches or more for being so far forward he's forgot how to burn spuds. Having never recieved "infantry" training.

Sorry Chefs :twisted:
  14. RMP are tonk at putting their bods forward for gongs or recognition, not just on ops but back in the working environment where NCOs go above and beyond, there are countless NCOs who have adminsitered life saving first aid on the streets in BFG and UK whilst on duty, literally life saving (CPR etc..) at RTAs, and incidents, and they get zip for it.

It is not what you do or how you do it or where you do it, it simply falls down to whether your line manager has recognised that what you have done is above and beyond what was expected of you. RMP commanders are by far the worst at putting their bods forward, by far the worst. Unless there is something in for them they won't do it. To be fair it is also partly due to the fact that they DO NOT KNOW where to start when putting someone forward! Some will say, 'Bde/Div will knock it back', no they fcuking won't they DO recognise where commendations are deserved and what troops go that one step further.

I know that it could be argued that every serviceman/women is doing their job in the sand, but there are those who go the step further and risk their life for others (Pure bravery, not everyone would!) and get recognised for it, there are those who don't. If only the management team would realise that the sense of worth a person can feel from even a pat on the back after an incident, let alone a recommendation for a gong/award, then that would be something.

It would be nice to think that this thread would change something in the system, it won't just check the list this time next year!

Those commanders of you out there, whether Section/Pl/Coy I bet you know of at least one incident where one of your troops should have been put forward for at least something and they didn't? Can't be bothered? Tsk!
  15. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Is this based on a real life example? I ask because i imagine an infantryman would also get a gong if he cleared a mg post at the tip of a bayonet.
    I truly dont mean to sound semantic, but my understanding is that it is a fairly level bar for awards to be handed out. After all, the RMP's/REME that were involved in the 3 Para contacts went beyond what was normally expected of them as supporting arms, but as soldiers, it was fairly standard, no dis-respect intended.