No free speech within earshot of Number Ten....

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Goatman, Dec 8, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

bloody HELLFIRE......loooking at a Daily Mail ( which I fully acknowledge is actually the Tory party house magazine) front page headline and slightly astonished not to find this story being discussed on ARRSE:

Their editorial comment :

So, let me get this straight - if a dozen of us walk down Whitehall in desert combats, stand in front of the twenty foot gates which now guard the Great Helmsman from his cowering subjects and read the names of the dead, by that mathematics the Metropolitan Police will see ( removes socks to count better)...uh....TWENTY FOUR sergeants 144 coppers to arrest us ????

How long before they slip a quick amendment through that extends 1 Kilometre to 5 kilometres ??

Is it me ? This is a bl00dy OUTRAGE !

2. Well that's not right. This bloody country.
  3. That's absolutely crap!! If I read this right (and if I don't I apologise), this woman was reading the names of the dead on THE main war memorial for the nation and she was arrested for it. Not only arested but positively swamped by rozzers. Surely THE WHOLE POINT of a memorial is so that people READ those names and remember the people behind the words. There are 3 names on that list that I knew personally and one of the three was a very good friend, I'm gonna go there next time I'm in the capital (probably on some B*****ks shopping trip with the frau and swhout their bloody names as loud as I can!!! Who the fcuk do these people think they are? Is there some international law that I don't know about that states 'Only so many countries are allowed to be ruled by a democratic government at one time, so as we played a part in (SUPPOSEDLY) bringing democracy to Iraq we have as a trade off to become a dictatorship?!!!
  4. Will Mr Hislop be arrested if his current programme is aired anywhere inside the 1km limit?
    Pathetic attempt by Neu Arbeit to stifle free speech and rights of everyone, by spin and 'national security' as reasoning.
  5. What about an impromptu ARRSE remembrance event in uniform, greens et sands somewhere appropriate like the cenotaph? Would it actually be illegal? Surely we should be allowed to remember our dead whenever we like, and not just around 11/11?

Apparently the law was introduced to get rid of a protester from outside Whitehall who's been there for four years, however since his protest predates the legislation he can't be got rid of. Possibly ties in to help control May Day and such like shenanigans.
  6. There have been innumerable threads that have got the ARRSE membership fulminating and muttering darkly into their beer. This one is a subject that really does merit outrage because it is a flagrant breach of our right to free speech and expression. Patently, the great leader and his coterie do not want their great thoughts interrupted by anything so crass as the protests of the citizens that they profess to serve. Nor do they want visiting foreign dignitaries to see that all is not perfect in New Britain. The latter point reminds me both of Imperial Russia with the Potempkin villages and, more hurtfully, of Northern Korea. I could bear comparison with the former but the latter makes me cringe.
    I'd be grateful (because I'm a lazy sod) if one of the serving members of the police who is an ARRSE member could tip me the name and telephone number of the nearest nick to the Cenotaph. When next in town I am minded to stand there and read from a list of the fallen. I will, naturally, inform the press beforehand. Serving officer..... served in Aghanistan and Iraq amongst other places..... arrested for......might be worth getting sacked for.

Edited for innumerable mistakes - a consequence of posting whilst extremely hacked off.
  7. I didn't know that there were any names on the Cenotaph.
    Let's not kid around here, it was clearly a protest designed to provoke this reaction. She knew what she was doing and bl00dy well done to her.

Thing is, it takes this kind of lunacy to get it across to the Scum-reading mouthbreathers that all is not quite as shiny in Westminster as the nice men in suits would have us believe.

Has anyone else noticed that certain posters who were banging the Neue Arbeit drum a few months ago are strangely silent on this topic.

I wonder why? :roll:
  8. If this is true,it´s time to kick T*ny out;or this Hanging judge.Being an ex-pat,I have strong feelings of freedom and democracy,and having picked up a weapon and risked my life,with of course many others,to defend it,I am appalled.

The police should be ashamed of themselves;what´s the next charge,Treason,for being against wars?

I was in Moscow,in November 1990,big, nearly permanent demo,with tents and hunger strikers;opposite the Kremlin and Hotel Rosa.The so called,communist Police just looked on, amused,let them carry on,I saw no intimidation or threats at all!

I feel totally disgusted,it´s literally Un- British,do they want to turn London into a No Go Zone.What hope, a help the homeless ex-forces sleep in, outside Whitehall,be quite funny to see what the Plod do against a couple of hundred squaddies.This of course,is a rhetorical question,wouldn´t want to upset a couple of ´Hanging Judges´?

Midnight......getting very angry.......!
  9. Its on the Grauniad website.

I Googled it, honest!
  10. What really grips my goat is the whole PC aspect of the whole thing. How comes the "protestor" (and I use that term loosely) who is calling out the names of the British Servicemen gets arrested, prosectuted, conditionally discharged, now picks up a criminal record and gets fined 100 quid - but - her companion who is reading out the names of dead Iraqi civilians gets arrested BUT NOT CHARGED!. So what is the great difference between what they were BOTH doing and as a result why did they BOTH not receive the same treatment.

A nice footnote to wrap up the article mentioned that a few days after she was arrested Tony Blair took his place at the Cenotaph for the annual Remembrance Sunday ceremony. What a fu**ing, bl**dy hypocrite!!
  11. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

When you do, PM me beforehand because I will stand next to you.
  12. Rickshaw, goatman.. if I'm in the country I'll come too!!
  13. Thank you Goatman. As and when I either pluck up the guts or get p*ssed and angry enough, I'll post it here. Come one. Come all. At least there might be a witness or two.
  14. Allowing for multiple-ID members, there still have to be over 10,000 ARRSErs. How about we all rock up, one by one after the others have been carted off: I'm sure they'll soon run out of coppers to arrest us all... 8)
  15. You can go first then