No father required

Phil306 said:
I'll tell you something else, here in the US. A lesbian couple wanted to have a child and they did. A male friend provided the sperm and bingo, child was born. Prior to having the child, the lesbian couple agreed, in writing, to relieve the male of any "fatherly" rights, etc. Meaning, no child support, etc.

Yes, you nailed it. The lesbian couple broke up and the mother of the child SUED the donor. He lost and has to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs old. Pretty screwed up if you ask me. However, there it is.
Of course I know of a lesbian couple who concieved a child through a known sperm donor. Similar deal as above.
Everything hunky dory till guy gets married and his wife can't have kids.

You guessed it they ended up in court and the 'father' took the child. It cuts both ways doesn't it?

Got to trust someone completely to have children with them and they in turn have to be worthy of that trust. No matter what the relationship.

chocolate_frog said:
That is shocking. And certainly a lesson to all!!! If this sort of thing is to go on the donor needs to be protected from this. What is the score if they got the sperm from a donor bank?
If you get the sperm from a bank there is no way you can trace the donor. In fact the law will not allow donor to even volunteer to be contacted once the child grows up.

Therefore suing them for maintainance would be tricky.

Only if the court can prove you had a relationship with the mother(even just friends) are you considered the legal father. However as the civil partnership bill comes into being at the end of the year the non-biological parent can adopt the child. That should mean end of problem.

Here in FFLNurse we have a lesbian who seems to be at ease with herself and those around her. Like attracts like so it is possible that her friends share same attitudes - straight, gay or lesbian. The ones who cause problems are the ones who feel it necessary to aggressively push and declare their sexuality and the 'straights' who feel same intense need to denigrate homosexuality. We need more gay and lesbian people in the spotlight. I think that people like Boy George and Julian Cleary were good ambassadors in the way they just presented themselves and lived their life openly and with pride. Of course, it may be that my attitude comes from having no fear of homosexuality?

Well, I guess that someone has to be the " controversial " one? and thats another thing, why is it controversial to state a normalcy instead of all this PC bull?

Children are people, they are brought about from the union of a man and a woman, thats it, plain and simple, nature / gods way! And in that very statement, we have the reason why same sex couples should not be allowed to have children, either inseminated, adopted or whatever!

It is very important that the child has both a male and a female influence, whether that child be a female or male, it engenders a balance of views and a balanced growth, I simply cannot believe that 2 people of the same sex could possibly give that balance to a child.

No one is suggesting that sexuality be subject to debate, I for one am neither for or against the Gay lobby, whatever a person does in their own time is their buisness, ( provided its not illegal), but when other people are affected i.e. the child, then there is an issue.

Political correctness has gone wild, it is at the very root of the unbalancing of society, marriage and children are at the cornerstone of the good principles of a balanced society, we are tampering with the core of what is right.

The futures of these subject fatherless or motherless children is at stake, it is them we are playing with, not the paternal or maternal instincts of the same sex couples who wish to become parents.

Its about time this was called to a halt.

"marriage and children are at the cornerstone of the good principles of a balanced society,"

Why?!! Playing Devils Advocate, WHY does everyone believe that marriage is "good" for children? Think about this for a minute - instinctively we all believe this to be the case, but is it the case?

Let me take it another step - GOOD marriages are good for everybody, good for the spouses, good for the children, good for society - but it's not even that simple. You can have what appears to be a 'good' marriage - but is it what it appears to be? All sorts of things go on behind closed doors. And just because someone is a 'good' wife or husband doesn't necessarily mean the children receive good parenting.

From a child's perspective, 'good' marriages (and I mean genuinely good marriages with sound parents) benefit children because it gives them unconditional love, security, sense of worth and value, discipline and life skills.

In the absence of a good marriage, then receiving those inputs from other sources is preferable than not - even not within a marriage that is toxic.

I think the problem is a deeper and more invidious one than lesbian couples bringing up children - these cases are very few. Instead think of the millions of children being brought up by us heterosexuals who cannot keep our own adult relationships strong and healthy. On balance, where is the greater weight of damage being done to children?

I_AM_CANADIAN said:
Well, I guess that someone has to be the " controversial " one? and thats another thing, why is it controversial to state a normalcy instead of all this PC bull?

Children are people, they are brought about from the union of a man and a woman, thats it, plain and simple, nature / gods way! And in that very statement, we have the reason why same sex couples should not be allowed to have children, either inseminated, adopted or whatever!

It is very important that the child has both a male and a female influence, whether that child be a female or male, it engenders a balance of views and a balanced growth, I simply cannot believe that 2 people of the same sex could possibly give that balance to a child.

No one is suggesting that sexuality be subject to debate, I for one am neither for or against the Gay lobby, whatever a person does in their own time is their buisness, ( provided its not illegal), but when other people are affected i.e. the child, then there is an issue.

Political correctness has gone wild, it is at the very root of the unbalancing of society, marriage and children are at the cornerstone of the good principles of a balanced society, we are tampering with the core of what is right.

The futures of these subject fatherless or motherless children is at stake, it is them we are playing with, not the paternal or maternal instincts of the same sex couples who wish to become parents.

Test tube baby are you? Try de-caf, you wannabe Canadian fruitcake. Which Canadian Province is England in again?

I_AM_CANADIAN said:

Oh for god's sake not more of the same!!!

I take it from your veiws that you are against straight unmarried couples having children and infertile married couples. If not then all this is just discrimination! And I would hate to be an orphan in your world cos adoption would have to be outlawed - it is hardly nature's/god's way.

I hope that these high ideals reach to other areas of your life. You know the old saying 'a heart attack is god's way of telling you to die'. We wouldn't find you calling an ambulance and defying god's will would we?

OldRedCap said:
Here in FFLNurse we have a lesbian who seems to be at ease with herself and those around her. Like attracts like so it is possible that her friends share same attitudes - straight, gay or lesbian.
Thanks honey. Of course it helps that I am stunningly attractive, witty and just generally great! :wink: