No father required

Which species have homosexual partnerships? I know the Walrus often has the odd tommy tank and gorillas shag for pleasure, but didn't know any species have homesexual partnerships. (excluding worms and other monosex species.) (And those that can change their sex to suit the male/female ratio)
Bruce Bagemihl's "Biological Exuberance," published in 1999, documents homosexual behavior in more than 450 animal species. The list includes grizzly bears, gorillas, flamingos, owls and even several species of salmon.

"The world is, indeed, teeming with homosexual, bisexual and transgendered creatures of every stripe and feather," Bagemihl writes in the first page of his book. "From the Southeastern Blueberry Bee of the United States to more than 130 different bird species worldwide, the 'birds and the bees,' literally, are queer."
http://www.jrn.columbia.edu/studentwork/cns/2002-06-10/591.asp

The rest of the article is about gay penguins in New York Aquarium/Zoo, who, despite the presence of females of the species, prefer it "that way".

I bet those penguins in 'Madagascar' weren't gay.............. :)

I don't Biscuits, but when I moved to this town a few years ago, someone looked at me quizzically and said "well, you haven't got 6 toes, so you can't be local..."

PK

Old-Salt
If homosexual couples wish to raise a child together I think that they should adopt and this should be the ONLY way that they can 'have' a child. Homosexual couples physically cannot conceive a child together and I think that all this sperm doner and 'using a woman as an oven" stuff is wrong anyway.

If you cannont conceive a child you in the relationship that you are in it is either a) you're homosexual or b) hetrosexual with a problem of sorts. Granted a hetrosexual couple unable to conceive is unfortunate because you have the means to do so but it's not happening and my personal view on homosexual couples is fair enough if that's what you want to do but it's a bit square peg round hole, it just doens't go.

I've no doubt a homosexual couple would raise a child with the same love and affection as a hetrosexual couple. I just don't think it's right for them to make a child using other means. If they must have a child then they can adopt.

If a child should end up with homosexual parents through a divorce then such is life, these things happen in our society and it's unfortunate (divorce that is, not homosexuality before I get jumped all over). If a homosexual-from-the-start couple wish to have a child they should adopt as they do not have the means to make a child themselves.

Chocolate frog wrote: "If the couple in question, promise or similar, to be a long term couple and they also are judged suitable enough that they wont ram their personal sexual views down the throat of the kid, and will raise the child to the best of their ability then good luck. Many straights can't manage this."

Surely this is being done anyway by militant lesbian dominated left-wing councils? A colleague of mine was railing about it the other day, how one of his kids once bought home a sex education booklet where "John has two daddies" or something.

God sake you lot what year am I in again? If I weren't on the internet I wouldn't believe it was 2005!

As a lesbian, and hopefully very soon a mother, I think you should all butt the fcuk out!!!!

And please, please, please stay out of education. The thought of the any of you having anything to do with the next generation scares me. Of course I won't presume to tell you not to procreate but I shall pity your kids!

PS I hope your kids all turn out queer!

Not sure where I sit on this one. As has been said a child brought up in a loving a stable environment has to be a good thing. I have no great problems with people who are gay, makes for lots of fun jokes too. :D But something keeps saying same sex parents is just wrong.

So much for my contribution then……

Seems to me that at the root of a lot of the concern about gay couples adopting/procreating is that they'll in some way brainwash their child so that he or she 'turns out' gay.

Unlike straight couples, of course, who are always entirely accepting and never put any pressure on children to be straight whatsoever, right?

Philip Larkin got it right: 'They f*ck you up, do Mum and Dad' - or, in this case, Mum and Mum, or Dad and Dad. The issue ought to be whether the child gets the love and care that every child deserves. If that can happen in a homosexual relationship - and I see no reason why it shouldn't - then what's the problem with it?

On adopting vs. procreation, I agree that it's out of order for gay couples to have children by IVF, surrogate parents etc. But, by the same token, I think that infertile couples should have to adopt, rather than go through IVF. Same principle - if they can't have children naturally, then better to adopt a child in need of good parents (which both infertile and gay couples can be, of course) than to leave that child in care or an orphanage and bring another child into the world unnaturally.

smithie

PK said:
If homosexual couples wish to raise a child together I think that they should adopt and this should be the ONLY way that they can 'have' a child....
Well said that chewing gum (do Wrigleys still make PK???). Why allow a biological "right" to conceive which a couple's life choices should have negated anyway? If a homosexual couple CAN provide a stable and caring family then there are plenty of children in need of adoption / fostering who could benefit.

Apart from anything else, isn't such a move inherently sexist? What of a homosexual male couple who decide they want the same "right"? Whole thing gets a bit Pythonesque then surely?

STAN:
......From now on, I want you all to call me 'Loretta'.
REG:
What?!
LORETTA:
It's my right as a man.

[align=center]
[/align]

JUDITH:
Well, why do you want to be Loretta, Stan?
LORETTA:
I want to have babies.
REG:
You want to have babies?!
LORETTA:
It's every man's right to have babies if he wants them.
REG:
But... you can't have babies.
LORETTA:
Don't you oppress me.
REG:
I'm not oppressing you, Stan. You haven't got a womb! Where's the foetus going to gestate?! You going to keep it in a box?!
If only they'd known when they wrote it 8O 8O 8O

FFL Nurse wrote

God sake you lot what year am I in again? If I weren't on the internet I wouldn't believe it was 2005!

As a lesbian, and hopefully very soon a mother, I think you should all butt the fcuk out!!!!

And please, please, please stay out of education. The thought of the any of you having anything to do with the next generation scares me. Of course I won't presume to tell you not to procreate but I shall pity your kids!

My red, I hope you do us the same favour!!!!

PS I hope your kids all turn out normal!!! LOL (as in not mad regardless of sexual orientation)

Edited to add cadveat on "normal", thanks Little Jack H.

FFL Nurse wrote

My red, I hope you do us the same favour!!!!

PS I hope your kids all turn out normal!!! LOL

Why not put some of your opinions across?

What do you think about the situation?

Surely there's as much chance of a bad coupling of gay partners as there is straight?

Do you know of any bad lesbian couples who wish to have children, but whom you wouldn't trust?

You don't really help your cause with "butt the fcuk out!"

chocolate_frog said:
Why not put some of your opinions across?

What do you think about the situation?

Surely there's as much chance of a bad coupling of gay partners as there is straight?

Do you know of any bad lesbian couples who wish to have children, but whom you wouldn't trust?

You don't really help your cause with "butt the fcuk out!"
Careful C_F - that's a member of a Minority you're talking to ;)

FLLnurse said:

I've got 2 children and I wouldn't give a fish's tit if either of them turn out to be gay. Their sexuality is their business, not mine. And I know several people in stable, long-term gay relationships. I don't have a problem with homosexuality per se.

The fact remains that having children, particularly when they're babies or very young, is damn hard work and the strain having children can put on a relationship is lessened when you both have an equal input into that child. The arguments stemming from "our child has turned our lives upside down" are bound to be less bitter than those stemming from "your child has turned our lives upside down".

Women can be hormonal, unreasonable bitches from hell. When that side of its mother is to the fore it's reassuring for a child to know that it can turn to its father for a second opinion.

BTW, your request comes too late - I home-educated both my children for two and a half years. As a result their friends include many people who fall outside of society's norm - children with very high IQ, those from families with strong religious beliefs, as well as those whose lives are made more difficult by autism and profound deafness. The parents of some of these children deserve sainthood for the way they've fought for their children and for their unstinting efforts on their behalf. I'm not just talking about dealing with a 12 stone, 10 year old 5'10" autistic - it's also exhausting finding endless stimulus for a very high IQ child.

If you're single you're depriving yourself and your child of (sometimes extremely) necessary back up. If you're in a relationship and your partner is not physically related to your baby, do you really think she'd stick around to help with your child once your relationship is strained to breaking point?

As someone who comes from a "very trendy" town in Devon, this topic is a little behind the times.

My kids goes to school with a great kid who has 2 mummies. Allegedly, the only male involvement was the donation of sperm, which was passed over and then "inserted".

The kid is great and is a credit to his "parents" and I will guarantee that he will not end up hanging around street corners wearing a baseball cap. He seems to be showing all the atributes of a normal kid - doesn't like pink, loves football, teases girls etc, etc.

I think we should be slightly more concerned about single parents/parents on drugs or white/black trash who bring children into the world and turn them into chavs or bling merchants.

Just a quick one again. Still looking in to this homosexual behaviour in animals thing.

Was the behaviour mentioned in the article (I haven't found it) actual homosexual behaviour or just similar?

For example, my female dog mounts my male dog all the time. This is because she is trying to be the dominant dog in the house, not because she is homosexual. We often end up pulling males of her, the harlett.

Well, I hope that these Gay and Lesbian Mothers/Fathers will teach their kids to fight because they will be getting a right kicking when they reach school age. Saying that, I agree with the Hampster when it comes to bringing up kids the right way and making good citizens out of them. Still not normal though.