No earth....?

This is rural Spain, where things are done very differently! But I'm pretty sure I used to trip the earth leakage detector devices.

My house is in the middle of nowhere. We do have leccy supplied from the grid. It comes down a pylon (two 10mm? black wires) and into the fuse/meter, which is in a standard company leccy box at the base of the pylon. There is also a yellow and green (10mm?) cable, which just seems to disappear out the bottom of the box..... to an earth rod? No idea! Can't find the other end!

The supply splits after the fuse/meter. In this box is also a mini consumer unit with a 'press to test' MCB earth leakage type thing. This supplies the well pump and other solely garden stuff. Two other (10mm) cables, blue and black then go off to the consumer unit inside the house, where we have the 'normal' MCBs and another earth trip.

The problem is that neither of the earth leakage devices trip when the TEST button is pressed.

Is there an easy way for me to check to see if the house 'is earthed'? Can I stick one end of a multi-meter in the ground and the other end...... where? TIA!

Edited to add - just found the other 'earth' thread, however, I'll let this one run if OK, as mine is different.

Last edited:
It's bit complicated to explain what to do to test the earthing to anybody that doesn't understand
electrics, get a sparky in, save anybody having a nasty

Ignore those poofs advising you to get a sparky in. Just make sure you film your attempts, and leave your ARRSE log-in details somewhere safe, along with instructions to post the video.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Dont mess with it
get an approved dago sparkie on the job (bollletin) or somesuch thing

they do not earth the Neutral as we do in the UK
the supply company will usually provide the earth and this will either be loaded to the negative conductor, or to an electrode nearby, the problem being that a dry climate like spain makes using a conventional earth rod impossible so its either a plate buried a fair way away or the armoured sheath of the supply cable
most systems there are Terra Terra anyway

when you press the Earth leakage devices can you hear a bussing ? they can become coil bound and ideally should be tested every 3 months

if you can see an earth electrode pour plenty of water around it to ensure a better earth
but if you do not have access to an MFT or the skill to use it call in the local dago sparky

1550941779403.png

Dont mess with it
get an approved dago sparkie on the job (bollletin) or somesuch thing

they do not earth the Neutral as we do in the UK
the supply company will usually provide the earth and this will either be loaded to the negative conductor, or to an electrode nearby, the problem being that a dry climate like spain makes using a conventional earth rod impossible so its either a plate buried a fair way away or the armoured sheath of the supply cable
most systems there are Terra Terra anyway

when you press the Earth leakage devices can you hear a bussing ? they can become coil bound and ideally should be tested every 3 months

if you can see an earth electrode pour plenty of water around it to ensure a better earth
but if you do not have access to an MFT or the skill to use it call in the local dago sparky

View attachment 379360
I bet he blows something up:rolleyes:

It's bit complicated to explain what to do to test the earthing to anybody that doesn't understand
electrics, get a sparky in, save anybody having a nasty
Given his background, I suspect SB knows more than a little bit about electrics, just not necessarily household electrics.

This is rural Spain, where things are done very differently! But I'm pretty sure I used to trip the earth leakage detector devices.

My house is in the middle of nowhere. We do have leccy supplied from the grid. It comes down a pylon (two 10mm? black wires) and into the fuse/meter, which is in a standard company leccy box at the base of the pylon. There is also a yellow and green (10mm?) cable, which just seems to disappear out the bottom of the box..... to an earth rod? No idea! Can't find the other end!

The supply splits after the fuse/meter. In this box is also a mini consumer unit with a 'press to test' MCB earth leakage type thing. This supplies the well pump and other solely garden stuff. Two other (10mm) cables, blue and black then go off to the consumer unit inside the house, where we have the 'normal' MCBs and another earth trip.

The problem is that neither of the earth leakage devices trip when the TEST button is pressed.

Is there an easy way for me to check to see if the house 'is earthed'? Can I stick one end of a multi-meter in the ground and the other end...... where? TIA!

Edited to add - just found the other 'earth' thread, however, I'll let this one run if OK, as mine is different.
Put some photos of the consumer unit on here, lets have a look

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Is UK Star and Spain Delta?
Not sure. I have a mate works there
I know they have split voltages in some properties
110 and 220v
and some rustic areas are 110v only
I am more usually interested in hearing about the things he gets up to with the spanish birds
he did say they are a bit mad
but he speaks dago anyway
the dirty old charmer

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I wouldn’t worry about it, electricity isn’t real anyway.

I’ve never seen any of this so called electricity that is supposedly all around us.

Probably something the government made up to steal more money off hard working people.