No Duff ?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by armourer, Aug 28, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone know where the expression "No Duff" came from, I can remember it being used a lot when I first joined (1973).
  2. Not apart from the obvious:

\Duff\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Duffed; p. pr. & vb. n. Duffing.] [Etym. uncertain.] [Colloq. or Slang] 1. To treat or manipulate so as to give a specious appearance to; to fake; hence, to cheat.

As in, is not a fake.
  3. Hmmm, could be a Whaaaa in there I suppose :oops:
  4. There is always someone who thinks they are clever.....

I will go with the rest of them. I suspect a wah......
  5. Got to agree with armourer, 'NODUFF' was used by us RA signallers to precede a non exercise message back in the dark ages of the sixties and seventies. Another one from that era! 'Soxmiss' to denote a report of a sighting of a Soviet vehicle in West Germany (as was).
  6. I think it was an abreviation of "Soviet Mission"?
  7. I've only ever used it in ref to on exercise casualties. "No duff casualty" being one that the DS weren't expecting.
  8. I still have the sighting card too 8O 8O
  9. If I remember correctly, you only made the mistake of reporting a "soxmiss" once....the resulting paperwork & interviews without tea and biscuits were enough to stop you from ever doing it again, especialy if it was discovered that the only reason you spotted the bloody "soxmiss" in the first place was because you were shagging someone you shouldn't in a place you shouldn't have been :wink: so I'm told.
  10. NODUF as in not duff ie real?
  11. same here.
  12. That's quite all right Dale. I was brought up a gentleman and I respect your opinion, as a female.
  13. "No Duff "was used to pre fix messages on exercise that were "real "IE:
    Casuelties, traffic acidents,running out of Herforder Etc:
    it was also used in conversation ,to make a point IE:
    I'll pay you back on wednesday "No duff"
    "No duff" Dales got the biggest norks on the net :twisted:
    A bit like saying " Honest" in a sentence,"No duff" :D