No Confidence in The Rt Hon Des Browne MP

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by FaceLikeAPingPongBall, Apr 14, 2007.

?
  1. I agree with the motion and have no confidence in The Rt Hon Des Browne MP as Secretary of State for

92.7%
  2. I do not agree with the motion and have confidence in The Rt Hon Des Browne MP as Secretary of State

7.3%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [align=center]The Motion Before you is:[/align]

"We have no confidence in the Rt Hon Des Browne MP as Secretary of State for Defence and consider his continuance as such to be detrimental to the morale of the Armed Forces."

Edited because I don't know the difference between moral and morale.....

2. msr

msr LE

Morale surely?

msr

3. Cheers for that, I think the to$$er in question is lacking in both plus a spine as well!

4. I have voted yes although, as bad as he is, he is no worse than any of the other Labour shower we have had in that office.

The defence problem lies in the fact that we are over-used by a government that is made up of former communists, shop-stewards and members of CND.

They are satisfied for us to be used to keep them out of touble but will never spend a penny and any management issues are dealt with as if there is not a union member amongst them; they hang people out to dry in contrast to the nonsense they used to cause when on strike...

5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I'm trying to work out on what grounds people have been able to vote against the motion.

Anyone who did vote against willing to put their head above the parapit and explain themselves? I promise not to pour scorn on you (this is current affairs after all). All I need is an understanding of the arguments for your position, one I can't even identify with. :?

Whilst I agree with Hellfyyr that he is no worse than any of the other stooges who have held his position, it isn't a good enough reason for not voting him out so don't use that one.

6. Don't get me wrong; I would have voted yes as he has been dire in his own right. I was simply explaining that they have all been shite since Malcolm Rifkind...

7. The only Politician who has ever been nice to a soldier is the one who actually came up with the arms and ammo to do the job and told the boss man to get on with it and tell him when it was over!

I think that was back in the 1870's or was it 1812

8. Cheers for that; the most useless post I have ever read...

9. I have not yet voted but I am keen not to leap onto the bash Des Brown band wagon without good reason. As I see it he is no better, or worse than the vast majority of the Labour ministers who are in power. He has also had the decency (when pushed I suspect) to take the flak for the recent press stories.

Hence he may not be all bad and in fairness sometimes there is an element of better the devil you know. The only to options (within the ranks of MPs) I could see as being good for the Armed Forces are John Reid (fat chance, too busy in the Home Office) and Adam Ingram (decent bloke but I suspect he enjoys being Min AF more than the shite his boss has to put up with).

10. And so he damn well should have if the leaked story alledging that MoD were discussing how best to promulgate the stories of the 15 several days before their release is true!

11. Geoff Hoon set the bar low yet somehow Des shimmied under it. Outstanding.

Don't get me started on Margret Becket..

12. Can ANYONE give any indication that it is true, though

13. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I was having a conversation with Malcolm Rifkind and Andrew Neil a few years ago and, knowing my military background, Neil asked me what I thought was the worst British defence decision of recent years. Without thinking, I said 'buying the Eurofighter', which caused much hilarity as that was Rifkind's decision.

Actually, I thought John Reid might have been rather good if he'd had longer in the post...

14. Who do we get to replace him though? Its scary

15. Til Monday's Commons Show, 'wait out' me thinks on this one!