No Christmas parcels for the troops!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by vvaannmmaann, Oct 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I for one would be happy to volunteer to help the post office or who ever to assist, perhaps BAFF, UKDA Legion could sort out numbers needed and then have collection points (Legion halls)......this is understandable but surely we could do something ?

2. Sign of the times gents. Limited room on available aircraft. Remember it's bullets, beans and mail in that order. Unless anyone is volunteering to drive over there with an artic full of willy warmers from Wigan, I can't see the situation changing anytime soon.

P-T

3. You've waited for the festive season to send a parcel ! been doing it all year I just send to appropriate family members to redistribute.
    Last year I sent en-mass lots arrived late, thats why this time its a drip feed affort.

I want to sent something different this year as a treat , any suggestions ? (Both genders apply.)

WW

4. BFPO London is currently looking for temporary helpers.....

Tel 0208 589 3288 for more info.

5. This has been policy for some time and was certainly in place last year (dated quote below).

Continuation of the Royal Mail free packet service has been authorised for Op Telic, Op Herrick and HM Ships in Support. The continuation of the free service will operate from 08 Dec 07 until further notice. Family & friends in UK & BFPOs can send packets up to 2Kg in weight free of charge to Op Telic, Op Herrick and HM Ships in support only.

http://www.bfpo.mod.uk/optelic_opherrick_mail.htm

The sheer volume of unsolicited mail from well-meaning individuals has an adverse effect on getting mail from families and friends through. The system does not have the capacity to sort wheat from chaff and, pretty much, has to move it all (especially where 'clever' soldiers have circumvented whatever vetting system BFPO has in place by replacing the traditional 'A Soldier' with a real name). Would you rather have a Christmas parcel from your mum or another bundle of tesco shampoo, a comb and a bar of soap from 'Mrs Miggins of Hungerford'? (don't answer if your name is Cpl Miggins and you're from Hungerford).

6. I anyone has a spare willy warmer then please feel free to send it out, think it's going to be a cold one. size small should cover it (well it will shrink in the cold) :cry:

7. I hadn't really thought about this till this nudge. I've always felt I'd like to give a quid or two to various good causes on here, but I don't have a credit card and I tend to stay away from banking systems of any kind ( C. Europe here!) crinkly cash is so much more reliable. Before any of the senior financial gentlemen on here start suggesting they might be good channels for my generosity, might I get to the point?

At Xmas time...or round now, bugger it, considering the postal system.....were I to fill a little parcel with some goodies from C. Europe ( salami, drinkable shaving lotion etc, pole dancers!!!), how would I ensure it got somewhere where it would be distributed fairly, not knowing anyone on active service? This is not a wah and I certainly don't want to break OpSec regs. I suppose this is a bit like asking how to make snowballs in a bakery, but if there is a way, 50 notes spent here will make alot of recipients happy round the festive season in dry places.

8. The official version on this is as follows:

Members of the public who send Christmas gifts to unnamed British Service personnel serving overseas are being urged this year to donate money to military charities instead.

Every Christmas the public donate gifts for those serving overseas, but the large number of packages can cause problems for friends and families sending cards and gifts to loved ones, and challenge operational effectiveness and safety.

The Ministry of Defence has introduced new controls on post after last year's festive period when, in the two months before Christmas, over 21,000 sacks of mail, weighing over 170 tonnes, were sent to Afghanistan alone. The majority of the mail was parcels generously donated to unnamed British Service personnel.

Such an enormous surge in the volume of post unintentionally puts a strain on the supply chain, diverting effort from making sure that essential combat supplies such as ammunition, medical supplies, food and equipment reach the front line. As much of this post must reach its final destination by helicopter, particularly in Afghanistan, extra flights mean extra danger for pilots and crews.

For these reasons, the Ministry of Defence, in partnership with British Forces Post Office, is limiting the free postal system only to friends and families, with mail only being accepted if to a named person.

Vice Admiral Peter Wilkinson, Deputy Chief of Defence Staff (Personnel), said:

"The generosity and support of the British public has been outstanding and it means a huge amount to all those serving in our Armed Forces.

"When on operations, the receipt of news from home, a letter from your wife or children, is a huge boost to morale, but unfortunately, this can be delayed by the large volume of mail generously donated.

"Last Christmas, the mail created a significant challenge to our logistics chain in theatre, which must also focus on the supply of operational essentials such as ammunition, food and medical supplies.

"These controls mean we will continue to supply free post to the friends, family and loved ones of those serving on operations overseas, whilst ensuring our operational effectiveness is maintained.

"We are hugely grateful for all the public support for our servicemen and women, but because of the great response, we urge people to donate to alternative organisations to minimise the impact of Christmas mail surges."

Members of the public who wish to show their support, but who do not have someone specific to send a parcel to, are encouraged to donate to a range of charities including UK4U Thanks! - which provides a Christmas parcel for every serviceman and woman serving overseas on Christmas Day.

Alternatively The Royal British Legion, PoppyScotland, SSAFA, Army Benevolent Fund and Help for Heroes are among the organisations working to support our Service personnel.

For more information on how you can contribute, see:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/PublicSupportForOurServicePersonnel/

Mail arrangements for families and friends are unaffected. Packages up to 2kg may be sent free of charge at any time through the Royal Mail and BFPO to named personnel in eligible ships and theatres.

This was posted by the Ministry of Defence. You can find a copy at:
    http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/PeopleInDefence/CharityDonationsAreBestGiftForTroopsThisChristmasPublicUrged.htm

9. I posted it yesterday, as well as another few e-blueys. I'd get the Irn Bru in now if I were you...... :wink:

10. Scrofula - check yout PMs'

11. How do they get there then? Santa Claus?

12. Some one needs to pull their thumb out their arrse and employ some seasonal workers, whether they are civvies or mil.

To say bombs and bullets or christmas parcels takes the system way back past WW1

Its not a complicated issue

13. Pretty much a non story this has been going on for the last couple of christmas', we get round it by sending the parcels to the Senior bod and get them to pass them round.

14. Keep in mind that everything going to the Afghan needs either a ground convoy through Pakistan or a DAS-equiped aircraft, of which we have few. If there was an established front line it would be different, but sadly it isn't.