No brexit, how would it work?

Had John Bercow not had this on his Car....
bercow 931373_1.jpg

then I'm sure no one would have questioned his motives for trawling back over 400 years at this moment in proceedings, to find that little stick to plunge in the spokes of the government bike.
Still, it means the only legally authorised option left is "No Deal."
I'm starting to believe that this late in proceedings, the EU would prefer not to have a WA before the 29th, as they would have to put it to the vote of the 27, with a unanimous decision. The inevitable round of horse trading to secure that, may not be possible in their view.
Far better for their perceived reputation and damage limitation, that it looks like it was the UK that couldn't get its act together by the 29th, then get the blame for what they think will happen, post no deal. If the final whistle blows with the ball stuck in their court, there will be no hiding from the damage inflicted on the continent.

Had John Bercow not had this on his Car....
View attachment 383113
then I'm sure no one would have questioned his motives for trawling back over 400 years at this moment in proceedings, to find that little stick to plunge in the spokes of the government bike.
Still, it means the only legally authorised option left is "No Deal."
I'm starting to believe that this late in proceedings, the EU would prefer not to have a WA before the 29th, as they would have to put it to the vote of the 27, with a unanimous decision. The inevitable round of horse trading to secure that, may not be possible in their view.
Far better for their perceived reputation and damage limitation, that it looks like it was the UK that couldn't get its act together by the 29th, then get the blame for what they think will happen, post no deal. If the final whistle blows with the ball stuck in their court, there will be no hiding from the damage inflicted on the continent.

Not looking too good, is it?

Not looking too good, is it?
No it's not BL. Not for Democracy.
This is what its boiling down to.
Take your instruction from the people, or subvert, obfuscate and bribe democracy out of existence...as if it's an out of date, inconvenient concept that gets in the way of our betters, telling the likes of you and I what's best for us.

Last edited:
Take your instruction from the people, or subvert, obfuscate and bribe democracy out of existence...as if it's an out of date, inconvenient concept that gets in the way of our betters, telling the likes of you and I what's best for us.

So, do you think there will be a revolution or just a decade's worth of grumbling?

My money is on the latter, by the way.

So, do you think there will be a revolution or just a decade's worth of grumbling?

My money is on the latter, by the way.
I hope for no deal.
If it turns out to be a damp squib in the long term, then the country can go full blown EU membership as far as I'm concerned, if that's what democracy demands.

But If it's all subverted, then I think you may be correct.
Too many people with too much to lose, from a bit of rioting in the short term. However, that might change for a few million, if the subversion is shortly followed by a recession. That'll be a legacy laid at the feet of those who were seen to block our move away from being dragged down with the EU.

Then again, it may be the catalyst for a new form of politics. Something with a broad appeal, anti elitism/Liberal do-gooder and with a Nationalist driver, will make themselves look very attractive at the moment. Just needs decent financial backing
Either way, those who have subverted democracy won't be forgotten, despite the inevitable charm offensive and soft soaping of the electorate that will follow. They will be punished by the electorate...even if it means resorting to the Far right for some. Reluctantly, but slowly that thought is entering more and more peoples minds IMHO.

I’m annoyed already this morning at it’s not even 8am. Just on the news house prices are on the rise in Wales after the removal of the toll bridge fees.

“Bloody immigrants coming over here taking our houses and jobs” mind you posting that put a smile on my face, what has happened to the big immigration debate ?

I hope for no deal.
If it turns out to be a damp squib in the long term, then the country can go full blown EU membership as far as I'm concerned, if that's what democracy demands.

But If it's all subverted, then I think you may be correct.
Too many people with too much to lose, from a bit of rioting in the short term. However, that might change for a few million, if the subversion is shortly followed by a recession. That'll be a legacy laid at the feet of those who were seen to block our move away from being dragged down with the EU.

Then again, it may be the catalyst for a new form of politics. Something with a broad appeal, anti elitism/Liberal do-gooder and with a Nationalist driver, will make themselves look very attractive at the moment. Just needs decent financial backing
Either way, those who have subverted democracy won't be forgotten, despite the inevitable charm offensive and soft soaping of the electorate that will follow. They will be punished by the electorate...even if it means resorting to the Far right for some. Reluctantly, but slowly that thought is entering more and more peoples minds IMHO.
Valid points all round. If you watch any interview you can a large majority of the 650 squirming to appease there local populist by declaring loudly that they were working on behalf of there constituents. The only problem is next time around we will only get a choice of lizard 1 or lizard 2 at the ballot box.

Last edited:
Since the people elect parliament to act in their interests and the referendum is superseded by the recent GE, what ever parliament decides is by extension the will of the people

If Brexit is cancelled I predict:

1. The imediate downfall of Teresa May under cabinet/party pressure, to be replaced by a non-remainer - if that doesnt happen the Tories are finished!
2. The Euro elections will be a landslide win for the Brext Party/UKIP
3. Extremely low turnout at the next GE unless one of the party's offer a 'proper' Brexit
4. If a single party does offer a full fat brexit, and if it doesnt have nutters as candidates, then it will gain a majority
5. Alternatively, the Euro/EU will simply collapse when Italy finally defaults on its 2 Trillion worth of debt mountain - taking with it huge French, German and Spanish banks who hold 100's of Bn's of euros worth of the Italion loans. The BBC/MPs etc are deliberately not telling the UK public of this huge and growing menace. In this scenario the UK/rest of the world will take massive pain but the pound will provide us a modicum of protection whilst the EU collapses and nation state status returns

This chap outlines the scale of Italion debt vs the liquidity of the top 10 Italion banks and also breaks down the qty of Italion loans being held in French, German and Spanish banks - for info in the UK TSB is holding some Italion loans on its books

Since the people elect parliament to act in their interests and the referendum is superseded by the recent GE, what ever parliament decides is by extension the will of the people
The referendum is, but the Acts of Parliament around Brexit are not superseded. They will have to be repealed.
What's the old adage for Law makers again?
Something about "Act in haste, repent at leisure."

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
If Brexit is cancelled I predict:

1. The imediate downfall of Teresa May under cabinet/party pressure, to be replaced by a non-remainer - if that doesnt happen the Tories are finished!
2. The Euro elections will be a landslide win for the Brext Party/UKIP
3. Extremely low turnout at the next GE unless one of the party's offer a 'proper' Brexit
4. If a single party does offer a full fat brexit, and if it doesnt have nutters as candidates, then it will gain a majority
5. Alternatively, the Euro/EU will simply collapse when Italy finally defaults on its 2 Trillion worth of debt mountain - taking with it huge French, German and Spanish banks who hold 100's of Bn's of euros worth of the Italion loans. The BBC/MPs etc are deliberately not telling the UK public of this huge and growing menace. In this scenario the UK/rest of the world will take massive pain but the pound will provide us a modicum of protection whilst the EU collapses and nation state status returns

This chap outlines the scale of Italion debt vs the liquidity of the top 10 Italion banks and also breaks down the qty of Italion loans being held in French, German and Spanish banks - for info in the UK TSB is holding some Italion loans on its books

Or, you could just cancel brexit and listen to the sighs of relief and the cheers and applause. As it gets sent down the Swannee.

Pm now tells the Eu that the country is in crisis. Thank you brexit, well played.

Last edited:
Wee problem. Everyone is giving the PM stick after the biggest defeat, 230, in history. What some conveniently forget is the majority of 491 who left the decision of remain/leave the EU. This was how the HoC voted on 9June 2015. That then became law!! As far as I understand it that means no matter how many GE's there are, it would mean a change in the law to rescind that act. I'm sure far better informed will correct me. Please do.

Mind you, even if I'm right I wouldn't put it past the sods to ignore an act that they themselves had passed.

Wee problem. Everyone is giving the PM stick after the biggest defeat, 230, in history. What some conveniently forget is the majority of 491 who left the decision of remain/leave the EU. This was how the HoC voted on 9June 2015. That then became law!! As far as I understand it that means no matter how many GE's there are, it would mean a change in the law to rescind that act. I'm sure far better informed will correct me. Please do.

Mind you, even if I'm right I wouldn't put it past the sods to ignore an act that they themselves had passed.
That's my point when I said "Act in haste, repent at leisure" as the advice given in earnest to our law makers.
Once an Act is on the Statute book, it usually becomes hells own problem to get it off again in short order. It's just not the done thing for both houses and effectively Her Majesty, to say that they have made an error of judgement, too quickly....all deemed to be a bit unseemly.
It sits there for years, maybe decades before it can get repealed.

You are referring simply to the vote to approve what was just the second reading of the Referendum Bill. This is a long way short of approving a Bill to become an Act. The Bill did not become an Act until December of that year.

Bill stages — European Union Referendum Act 2015 — UK Parliament

As the referendum has since been held, the Act itself is of little importance as its only real purpose was to enable the referendum to take place and to set in place the conditions under which it was to be conducted.