No brexit, how would it work?

It's like when you fart in the middle of the meeting room amongst polite company and then carry on like nothing happened. You know it, they know it, but everyone pretends like nothing happened.

This, would be the best outcome of a no deal brexit.

Leave the EU and continue to trade under WTO terms, as explained quite well here:
A World Trade Deal: The Complete Guide - Economists for Free Trade

There will likely be some short term disruption and lower growth but after that things should improve.
What's your evidence for this? Blind faith?

Three decades of watching and working through this stuff have taught me that things generally work out in the end. Human resilience, innovation and entrepreneurship usually see to that.
Oh, so your evidence is simply that "things generally work out in the end".

There will of course be other studies by economists as equally eminent as Prof Minford, that argue the opposite.
Are you saying that your bold prediction based on your faith that "things generally work out in the end" constitutes a study?

Economics is called the dismal science for a reason. It isn't physics or chemistry, just inspired guesswork influenced by subsequent events.
Right, so it's all just guesswork, therefore your guess is as good as that of a Professor of Economics.

It's like when you fart in the middle of the meeting room amongst polite company and then carry on like nothing happened. You know it, they know it, but everyone pretends like nothing happened.

This, would be the best outcome of a no deal brexit.
Surely the best outcome is to loudly blame the dog or your kids

Look, I'm an old sod who voted for Brexit. I've refrained from calling remainers remoaners, but it can be difficult. I can't count the number of times the party I've voted for were beaten. Did I complain? No, because no barsteward was interested. In this country, like it or not, (and I'm not,) it's first past the post that wins.

Funnily enough I suspect most of us who voted for Brexit were also thinking of future generations, so the moral high ground is not the prerogative of the Remainers. Whereas I accepted when the vote went against me, what happens in the future when it goes against you? Oh, we've seen that already, moan, ask for a "*peoples" vote, go to parliament so they can decide. Aye, right! All of you remainers, who don't accept the result, do NOT believe in democracy! Well, only when it agrees with your side of the argument. Everybody else is wrong!!

Incidentally, I voted us in the last time, but what I signed up for was not what I got! Google is supposed to be your friend, well use it! You are far more capable than me of using the net. Dig into what the EU says and what it actually does. A recent example, 5/6 years ago(?), they were refuting having a European Army. Now? Dig deep. Do your own research, not mine or what you read, then reach your own conclusions.

*Does this only apply to people who vote the "right" way?
So you're one of those 'old' idiots I've been railing at for the last 40 years [I was 2 months too young to vote in the last ballot]. It's nice to know you saw sense eventually, but it's worth making the point to the remoaners, I've put up with the EEC/EU for 40 years without being offered a vote so you can wait another 20 until I'm, probably, dead before you have another.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Leave the EU and continue to trade under WTO terms, as explained quite well here:
A World Trade Deal: The Complete Guide - Economists for Free Trade

There will likely be some short term disruption and lower growth but after that things should improve. Three decades of watching and working through this stuff have taught me that things generally work out in the end. Human resilience, innovation and entrepreneurship usually see to that.

There will of course be other studies by economists as equally eminent as Prof Minford, that argue the opposite. Economics is called the dismal science for a reason. It isn't physics or chemistry, just inspired guesswork influenced by subsequent events.
This has been regularly dismissed as ballocks, poo, retarded, rubbish and whatever other words you'd care to add. Or everyone else has cared to add.
Just like to point out these are the people who promised the nhs £350m and can't count to 48.

I believe that the idea that we could just tear up our Article 50 letter is bogus. It is a commitment to the EU which they are entitled to hold us to. Re-entry to the EU would be involved, on the EU's terms which would include, Schengen, the Euro and Ever Closer Union and our destruction as a nation state, handing over control of our island to a Napoleonic construct of rule by a self-perpetuating group of technocrats.
and no more rebate, so another ~£4 billion to be found by the treasury for UK spending or another round of austerity cuts. These things were all spelled out to the Scots when they enquired about joining after "independence".

What's your evidence for this? Blind faith?

Oh, so your evidence is simply that "things generally work out in the end".

Are you saying that your bold prediction based on your faith that "things generally work out in the end" constitutes a study?

Right, so it's all just guesswork, therefore your guess is as good as that of a Professor of Economics.
There is no evidence either way. There cannot be as we are talking about the future. My saying "things generally work out in the end" is no more evidential than "we're all going to starve, we cannot replace trade we MIGHT lose with the EU"

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
It's like listening to a bunch of people who've cancelled their season ticket and are now hacked off that they aren't allowed on the train.

It's all europes fault. We stopped investing in our own infrastructure (except London) and started blaming foreigners for taking none existent social housing. And along with old people taking up plastic chairs in the A&E.

This has been regularly dismissed as ballocks, poo, retarded, rubbish and whatever other words you'd care to add. Or everyone else has cared to add.
Just like to point out these are the people who promised the nhs £350m and can't count to 48.
By other economists who begin from a position of disagreeing with Brexit. But if you wish to remain shackled to a sclerotic, undemocratic Federalist superstate with around 8% unemployment yet with similar inflation and growth rates to our own, be my guest.
No, that was Boris Johnson who promised that, and latterly Andrew Bridgen, an MP, who expects to have 48 letters expressing no confidence in Mrs May.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Take a look around. Look at those leading your charge, they don't seem to have the first clue what's going on.
Some of them don't seem to be in the same century. and I don't mean Rees Mogg.
That wing nut IDS who has failed at everything political and people who think food banks and universal credits a good thing. Have a look, Davis who doesn't know that with no deal there's no transition period. We're out. Dorries, who doesn't like Mays deal as it means we lose our MEPs and a stake in Europe.

Rees Mogg who says if we leave Europe shoes and food will be cheaper for poor people.

And unemployment how is that relevant when we had 1 in 10 unemployed and in blackspots 1in 5. Did Europe put in a quarantine zone in case it was catching. They don't have similar inflation rates, we've overtaken them and their growth has outstripped us ours having dropped since brexit.

How much has brexit cost us so far and what is it going to cost. Have you come across any benefits of this brexit thing. Exasperating foreigners doesn't count as a benefit,

Take a look around. Look at those leading your charge, they don't seem to have the first clue what's going on.
Some of them don't seem to be in the same century. and I don't mean Rees Mogg.
That wing nut IDS who has failed at everything political and people who think food banks and universal credits a good thing. Have a look, Davis who doesn't know that with no deal there's no transition period. We're out. Dorries, who doesn't like Mays deal as it means we lose our MEPs and a stake in Europe.

Rees Mogg who says if we leave Europe shoes and food will be cheaper for poor people.

And unemployment how is that relevant when we had 1 in 10 unemployed and in blackspots 1in 5. Did Europe put in a quarantine zone in case it was catching. They don't have similar inflation rates, we've overtaken them and their growth has outstripped us ours having dropped since brexit.

How much has brexit cost us so far and what is it going to cost. Have you come across any benefits of this brexit thing. Exasperating foreigners doesn't count as a benefit,
That's it Big Skid - let it all out. Don't hold back. Let those hot, salty tears flow.

This is Belonging.

Folks I understand that come 29th March we are free of the EU, but what is the status of the 'deal'. Does that need to be ratified by parliament, or can the Cabinet/PM impose it without getting parliamentary approval? The EU seems to think the deal is in its final form and can not be changed since it has been agreed by the UK. Spain though is standing ready by the works, equipped with spanner. AIUI any one of the EU remaining states could veto the deal, and we all have to start again, or if May has to get it through parliament and can't, then ditto, either scenario sees us revert to World trade terms and cheaper shoes. But as my shoes are UK made, then at best it will only be the cost of imported leather that reduces in price, so I doubt I will see much benefit.

A worthy reminder of our future post Brexit Britain:
top.JPG

That's it Big Skid - let it all out. Don't hold back. Let those hot, salty tears flow.

This is Belonging.
I do enjoy a good tear and spittle flecked @skid2 lip wobble.

Last edited:
By other economists who begin from a position of disagreeing with Brexit. But if you wish to remain shackled to a sclerotic, undemocratic Federalist superstate with around 8% unemployment yet with similar inflation and growth rates to our own, be my guest.
No, that was Boris Johnson who promised that, and latterly Andrew Bridgen, an MP, who expects to have 48 letters expressing no confidence in Mrs May.
Proof, if any were needed, that economists are sane, rational, and of course always correct:

So you're one of those 'old' idiots I've been railing at for the last 40 years [I was 2 months too young to vote in the last ballot]. It's nice to know you saw sense eventually, but it's worth making the point to the remoaners, I've put up with the EEC/EU for 40 years without being offered a vote so you can wait another 20 until I'm, probably, dead before you have another.
Two points, 1. If I've got to wait another 20 years, and you'll "probably" be dead, I think there's a good chance I'll have beaten you to the finishing line. 2. If your dad had scored a bullseye 2 months earlier you'd have been fine!