No bluff too tough in Sweden

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I was at Staff College with a major in the Paras who had lied about a history with the NZ SAS to get into the British Army (he had been a RNZSIGS officer).

Fake Sheikh

Old-Salt
Emailed a friend in the Swedish Defence Forces, seems its gone viral!!
Seems others might be looking to find military certificates just in case.

Swedish man who left school without even completing the equivalent of A-levels managed to bluff his way to a senior position in the country's armed forces over an 18-year career.

Well. it doesn't say much about their chain of command if it took them 18 years to spot him. To be honest I'd sack those in charge of him and let him keep his job. He managed to do the job for long enough without any complaints...

Mind you the Swedes have form for this sort of thing...

Yarra

Old-Salt
Just emailed my mate (Maj) in the Swe Air Def Reg asking him to show quals. They are somewhat laid back as an organisation, but this is just too funny. :-D

That’s nothing, I got promoted and I’m a right cünt.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If he can do the job....
Memory jog.
Slight thread drift:- At the induction for new starts, after the H&S talk, as is the norm on new sites, we all got out our JIB cards, and associated credentials for verification , to be told by the Aussie site manager" I'm not interested in your plastic cards,, you can either do the job or not, if you can't, then leave now"

We were constructing two massive overhead cranes, from scratch, to be installed inside the sub pens up at Faslane These monsters had a lifting capacity of 200 tons. When finished many of the lads followed them up to install them. During construction the MOD had their spooks keeping an eye on us at every stage of the build. this was about 1990.

Last edited:
Ginger man who left school without even completing the equivalent of 2 A-levels managed to bluff his way to a senior position in the country's armed forces

I've just read the article and there are one or two bits that I'm struggling with. The bloke started training at the Swedish equivalent of Sandhurst and dropped out at his own request, so presumably must have left the Swedish army. He then prints his own commission and gets a posting. The Swedish army can't be that big. Was there no one in the mess who trained with him who said "Hey Sven, I thought that you jacked it in"?

The army is finally made aware of the problem by the coastguard twelve months ago but do nothing as he has left the army, but he then turns up as a Major in Mali. Who's paying him? Did he just turn up and say "I'm your new chief of staff" without anyone checking?

Just_plain_you

War Hero
I suspect the greater outrage is the realisation that you don't actually need a degree to do the job and that someone has actually proven it.

, to be told by the Aussie site manager" I'm not interested in your plastic cards,, you can either do the job or not, if you can't, then leave now"
I get his intent, but if you can't and you're bluffing it'll go very wrong very quickly. At least the card shows that you will have completed some sort of training.

The_Duke

LE
I was at Staff College with a major in the Paras who had lied about a history with the NZ SAS to get into the British Army (he had been a RNZSIGS officer).
Did he tell you about when he got shot during his time in Somalia...or the time he spent 30 days in the jungle without ever speaking and had to learn to speak again?

Latest Threads