No Blacks, No dogs, No pikeys

I am not sure what they needed the complicated and expensive software for, when I was doing some work in the Midland Bank in London in 1989 I was with the customer service girls in the desk out front. Two very well-dressed gentlemen came in to open an account, very well dressed and with beautiful public school accents. They absolutely charmed the girl on the desk, and she filled out all the forms and got the signatures and everything.

Hardly were they out the door than she tossed the whole lot in the bin. I was astonished, and asked her what on earth she was doing. "Oh, no need to worry, they're just Nigerians chancing their arms, they'll have tried to open 20 accounts already today, maybe someone will be stupid enough to actually open one for them", she said sweetly, without a second thought.

PS On the Pontins list, I get Ward, Stokes, McDonagh and Connors, definite red flags for anyone who was ever in the hospitality trade, but most of the rest of the names seem innocuous enough.

I am not sure what they needed the complicated and expensive software for, when I was doing some work in the Midland Bank in London in 1989 I was with the customer service girls in the desk out front. Two very well-dressed gentlemen came in to open an account, very well dressed and with beautiful public school accents. They absolutely charmed the girl on the desk, and she filled out all the forms and got the signatures and everything.

Hardly were they out the door than she tossed the whole lot in the bin. I was astonished, and asked her what on earth she was doing. "Oh, no need to worry, they're just Nigerians chancing their arms, they'll have tried to open 20 accounts already today, maybe someone will be stupid enough to actually open one for them", she said sweetly, without a second thought.

PS On the Pontins list, I get Ward, Stokes, McDonagh and Connors, definite red flags for anyone who was ever in the hospitality trade, but most of the rest of the names seem innocuous enough.
It's probably composed following incidents. Ours had Chatfield and Sullivan on a red flag, and the Kelly family were also on the nogo list but weren't pikeys.

The easy answer in the hospitality trade is quite simple, on the phone "Have you a contact number, I will check availability and get back to you" or face to face " I can't find the bookings folder, give me your number and I will get back to you" Always appear like you may have availability and then........"I'm really sorry but..."

The easy answer in the hospitality trade is quite simple, on the phone "Have you a contact number, I will check availability and get back to you" or face to face " I can't find the bookings folder, give me your number and I will get back to you" Always appear like you may have availability and then........"I'm really sorry but..."
That's what happens now, you still need a list to refer to and with the shared information requirements of a centralised booking service it all gets difficult. Add to that, that these people aren't stupid and get other people to book for them, this is quite a challenge. I still remember an incident at Goodwood Country club that resulted in the Matriarch rocking up the next day producing a massive roll of £20s from her rather large bra to pay for the damage. And I was well chuffed when I rocked up to find half of Pompey 657 (over exaggeration) had booked a private function at the hotel I was working at. These are not good evening to be working on.

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
Read today

Some years ago a big U.K. bank was being defrauded and making large bad loans, so they got in a programmer as computers were just starting to see maybe common occourances, she for it was a woman wrote some software and fraud and bad loans dropped.

The head honcho told other head honchos as they had similar issues and agreed to share the program. Another programmer looked at the banks program and all the woman had done was block all Nigerian surnames.

Simples

Likewise the anti-fraud rules built into payment gateways (the bit of interstitial code where an online payment is collected by a merchant's bank) are monumentally complex. Reverse IP lookups, machine learning/AI style pattern analysis and real time updating to spot fraudulent payments, block them and disseminate that information to other providers - it's incredibly clever stuff. And yet, still, billions are defrauded every year.

Suffice to say, certain countries (Africa and China esp) and currencies or payment methods get alarm bells ringing right away. Barclays, for one, are red hot at training their staff to spot it too - although their bigger problem is stopping senior management indulging their own tendencies for lining their pockets...

That's what happens now, you still need a list to refer to and with the shared information requirements of a centralised booking service it all gets difficult. Add to that, that these people aren't stupid and get other people to book for them, this is quite a challenge. I still remember an incident at Goodwood Country club that resulted in the Matriarch rocking up the next day producing a massive roll of £20s from her rather large bra to pay for the damage. And I was well chuffed when I rocked up to find half of Pompey 657 (over exaggeration) had booked a private function at the hotel I was working at. These are not good evening to be working on.
Sometimes it is easier to pick your battles. When I was down on my arrse once I found myself working for 'Spoons, big funeral in. Next shift in office, "why were you serving people that are on pubwatch" Simple answer was "you still have a ******* pub don't you!"

Sometimes it is easier to pick your battles. When I was down on my arrse once I found myself working for 'Spoons, big funeral in. Next shift in office, "why were you serving people that are on pubwatch" Simple answer was "you still have a ******* pub don't you!"
I can remember a head doorman explaining "don't worry he won't kick off tonight" referring to a local gangster from Holyhead with a life time pub ban, right before he kicked off. The door team earned their money that night.

Last edited:
Yes.
The hypocritical racist twat.
_20210303_194516.JPG

Let it go

I can remember a head doorman explaining "don't worry he won't kick off tonight" referring to a local gangster from Holyhead with a life time pub ban, right before he kicked off. The door team earned their money that night.
I get the point you are making however I had explained to said miscreants that they could have a pint then (which was before the service, they had come in for breakfasts and beer beforehand) but they need not bother coming in after. All were happy with that. People before a funeral are not liable to kick off, but as anybody who has every worked a door or a bar knows that afterwards emotions and beer do not mix well. It's that usal battle of who loved/liked him/her most and the you never knew them shit. But people generally in my experience are very humble and serene before a funeral.
Being local unlike any of the management team for 'Spoons I did the risk assessment in my head. As they had only rota'd two of us on the bar I kind of had not alot of choice but enough of the attendees all know me well enough to know to behave with respect. Or not bother coming in.

Latest Threads