No 8 & Target rifle

Discussion in 'ACF' started by Its_a_troop!!, May 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Heard a few rumours on the Brigade S,A,A,M about the possibility of cadet forces loosing the .22 (No 8 ) rifle, also i am aware that we are loosing the target rifle in a few years.
    Any thoughts or facts??
    Please discuss:

Troop

2. Its overdue for replacement and obsolete, but I think the real issue is that its such ancient technology (The enfield action dates back to 1880) that todays armoury technicians havent got a clue how to service or repair it. There is also a shortage of spares (but not if your prepared to pay some dealers inflated prices)

The thing is, most of the barrels are fine, and only those that have 2 or more bulges need replacing. A .22 barrel will easily handle 5,000,000 rounds of standard velocity ammo without any major loss of accuracy. Thats why its such a a good value training tool.

I think that the No8 will probably soldier on for a while yet, but when they are broken (and its usually everyday things like trigger components and extractor claws that need repair) it will be case of bin it and replace it with whatever the COTS purchase new weapon will (probably an Anschutz of some type) or the unit/sector/county finds a local civvy gunsmith to repair it.

I have seen two, owned by an ATC unit, that had been reconditioned by a local gunsmith, and they did a fantastic job with new micrometer sights and reblued metalwork, and it was done for a reasonable amount. Needless to say they shoot very well.

I sense its a rifle that needs to be replaced because the official repair network can't/won't/doesnt want to maintain them anymore, having lost the skills and stock of spares and not because they are worn out or beyond repair.

However, I would prefer the transition to a single weapon, such as the semi auto L98A2, (due out 2009) either with a .22 conversion (accuracy is an issue though) or a low power indoor/short range round, or even better a DCCT option for indoor training!

3. No8 is going out of service in the near future as the MOD basicly said to all 4 cadet forces "we have money for either full bore (7.62/5.56) or smallbore rifles now choose which." Or at least what i have been told.

However in my oppinion 7.62 (even L81 if i reeeaaaalllly have to.) and .22 target rifles are very important for real marksmanship. Any idiot (even me!) can sit at one end of a 25 meter range and blat away with an L98. Especialy with the (very needed, not denying that) transfer to semiautomatic with the a2 version it will require even less skill to shoot accuratly. .22 is also needed as many ranges the cadets use are not built to use, handle or hold 5.56 rifles, leaving many facilities unusable, the last .22 rimfire conversion kit was unnoficial and not issued, realy think that will change? It also doesn't solve the problem of having an armoury that can actualy hold a fullbore rifle?

One final point is that the cadet forces always use the excuse to the anti gun "omg their teaching kids to kill!" nutjob lobby that we are teaching them the "olymipic recognised sport" of target shooting. Get rid of the obviosly Target like rifles and leave the exact lookalike to the armies standerd battle rifle and people will point it out. Leading to i fear the loss of all shooting in the cadet forces.

5. Most activities in the cadets force are allowed due to loopholes and rule bending slightly, with regards to .22 Lee Enfield id say this weapon should stay as it is part of the progression of shooting within cadet forces, Air rifle and .22 are ideal to teach marksmanship principals on and are also suited for shooting development, The l98 is the cadet force weapon, skills take longer to learn and shooting is easier with the background knowledge learnt on air rifles and No 8s

Troop

7. The No8's at my local squadron (for whom I am the Shooting Officer in my spare time) came back from ABRO about 18 months ago or so. I think they are worse now then before they went for refurbishment! The actions on both are just very stiff and jerky....

As far as the future of the No.8 is concerned....I wouldn't be surprised to see it withdrawn, but the majority of ATC shooting is small bore as it is cheap and it can take place indoor on a squadron night...as long as you have access to a range of course! I think it would be a foolish move to allow cadets to go straight to full bore with no opportunity to learn basic marksmanship skills first.....it's asking for trouble frankly.

I personally think that the No.8 has run its course though and it's now time for a cheap, reliable replacement.....Ruger 10/22 perhaps?

8. If you're getting rid of the No.8s, let me know, I'd love to take a couple of your hands!

9. Government policy is that they HAVE to be exported if sold. God forbid the taxpayer might buy one for himself.

I'd take half a dozen.

10. they can still be re-imported back. The best market for them is probably the uk anyway.

I think there was a gunsmith down south who was doing some clever conversion work on No8s. Some he was fitting 10 shot mags to, others he was dropping in a 5.56 ruger (or something similar) screwed up to a H&K machine gun barrel in the same calibre. Hey presto, a 20-30 round bolt action practical rifle that takes STANAG 4179 mags.

11. Sounds like Pete Sarony at Armalon.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I've just sold my No.8 without competing with it, a sad day but its gone somewhere good.