No.6 throws a Seven

CBS/AP) Patrick McGoohan, an actor who created and starred in the cult classic TV show "The Prisoner," died Tuesday in Los Angeles after a short illness. He was 80.

His son-in-law, film producer Cleve Landsberg, announced the news Wednesday.

McGoohan starred in the 1960s CBS series "Secret Agent," and won two Emmys for his guest appearances on the detective drama "Columbo." Most recently he appeared as King Edward Longshanks in the 1995 Mel Gibson Academy Award-winning film "Braveheart."

But he was most famous as the character known only as Number Six in "The Prisoner," a 1968 British series about a spy who resigns from the intelligence service, only to be abducted and held captive in a mysterious haven known as The Village. There his overseers strip him of his identity in their attempts to glean information, while thwarting his attempts to escape.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/01/14/entertainment/main4722806.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cML3EK2CcUI

I thought that he was excellent as Dr Paul Ruth in David Cronenburg's 'Scanners'. An inexpensively made Canadian film famed for its exploding head sequence.

I had just moved to the States as a young lad in the late '60s when 'Danger Man' was re-broadcast over there as 'Secret Agent'. The follow-up 'Prisoner' was lapped up by my US friends just as avidly as 'Monty Python'. In their different ways, both series were brilliant and educational examples of British irony and satire. A fond farewell to No 6.

The only decent things about The Prisoner were the Mini Moke’s and the short skirts the ladies wore. Load of old 60’s tosh.

Actually I’m not a free man I’m a number! Be seeing you……… :wink:

I remember the Prisoner series. It was shown here initially as a summer replacement program on CBS I think. PBS also replayed all 17 episodes about a year or two ago. I remember the plots were very strange and unusual. The bubble things weren't a very impressive menace. Surely if No. 6 decided to take a runner he could see off those bubbles by bringing along a sharp needle or pin? :p I liked Leo McKern as No. 2 though - he was right jolly.

Now AMC the cable movie channel is remaking the series with Gandalf in a key role. I'm looking forward to it. Hope they don't muck it up like FOX did Dr. Who when they tried re-imagining it in 1996.

Well done Patrick.

I remember being told many years ago (in his heyday) that he had a clause in his contacts about not doing love scenes, indeed I don't recall him ever doing one on screen.

fingers_1661 said:
I remember being told many years ago (in his heyday) that he had a clause in his contacts about not doing love scenes, indeed I don't recall him ever doing one on screen.
If true that would be a most unusual clause. I thought that was part of the perks of being a secret agent (or playing one on TV) having an occasional snog with Ursula Andress or Pussy Galore. :wink: :lol: