No 5 Rifles used in Europe 1945

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Nato Standard123, Jan 7, 2018.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 2
  2. I wonder what the advantage would be in the European theatre?

If the soldier in the top photo isn't able to say

'No, stop messing about!'

In true Kenneth Williams manner, there's no justice in the world.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Good point or someone had already sussed that we didn't need weapon or round that could shoot out to distances where you couldn't see anyone?

Personally, i always wondered why we didn't copy the boxheads , and make an intermediate round for the .303

......would have make savings on brass and propellant too.......modify or adapt the mag platform, and crack on

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  4. These soldiers appear to be all from Airborne Forces so perhaps it was thought to be easier to parachute with ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Airborne types, makes sense to have a shorter weapon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1

6. Maybe? but people have always known that .plus the No 5 had been in production since March 44 , months before Arnhem - why not issue to them for that Op?

7. Now that I couldn't say ...perhaps Burma was a higher priority for the No.5 than parachutists ? Or Airborne Forces simply didn't know about it ? Pure speculation on my part .

• Like Like x 2
  8. I notice most of the photos appear to be taken away from combat areas. Maybe they were issued to rear echelons.

9. No idea?...i'll try to dig out some more info or photos

10. They seem to mainly show 1st Airborne Div in Norway in 1945.

Which cap badges are the guys in those photos wearing ? I'm afraid I can't really make them out.

11. By the time Norway had to be covered the war was well over, and much of the UK strength that was not required for occupation duties would have been earmarked for the far east ?

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. North Staffords ?

• Like Like x 2
  13. There was a battalion of South Staffords in 1st Airborne Div.

• Informative Informative x 6

14. 'After some research I noted that the regiment was slated to go to the far east and issued the No 5 - then orders were changed and they were sent to Norway equipped with the No 5.'

• Informative Informative x 5