No. 4 Mk 1 T

If this is in the wrong place then mea culpa and mods, please move to the appropriate place.

Trawling through YouTube I came across the following and was highly impressed with the shooting, level of accuracy and enthusiasm exhibited. Over to you for comment should you wish.

Edit: It may have to be watched on YouTube.

4(T)

LE
If this is in the wrong place then mea culpa and mods, please move to the appropriate place.

Trawling through YouTube I came across the following and was highly impressed with the shooting, level of accuracy and enthusiasm exhibited. Over to you for comment should you wish.

Seems like an entertaining chap. Evidently knows how to shoot - he is/was a sniper?

Good demo of the 4(T). Very unusual for someone in US to rate this rifle over the cult of Mauser, but then again he sounds East European to me.

Maybe intended more for the US viewer's audience? I think 700 yds would be considered "mid range" by UK historic and precision shooters - most will have had a crack at 1,000 or 1,200.

He is fortunate in having that (private?) range with fixed steel targets at 50yd increments. That makes it so much easier to go up the ranges with small sight adjustment increments. At Bisley or similar you're normally stuck with jumps from 300-600 or 600-1000, which can be tricky if the ammo batch is not service spec and does not match the listed elevation adjustments.

Odd that he didn't have any wind flags up, or mention how he was calculating wind effect - if he did. He seemed to be using those 50 yd increments just to "aim off" for each subsequent shot. Again, this is very difficult when you jump 300 yds at a time and have to calculate the wind deflection.

I think that, at the longer ranges, he was actually seeing the dispersion of the ammunition. That Winchester ammo (red, green and black label) is generally pretty inconsistent stuff, and very dirty in the rifle. Not sure why it was mentioned by a wartine sniper, as most of the contemporary cordite is more consistent in tests today. He'd probably get a better result with modern commercial Privi.

Vid has vanished who is he?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
RLC. TRF.

Can zero in on a hand grabbing an extra sausage at 1200 yds.
Not called Jam Stealers for nothing you know.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
With a 360 degree full bore range with no visible backstops he must own quite a bit of land!

With a 360 degree full bore range with no visible backstops he must own quite a bit of land!
He must have a fair bit of wonga to own a No4t!

Ahhh yanks, my friend showed me a YouTube video where someone took a No4 and made a shorter "tanker" (like the garand) version by chopping the barrel and wood down, then adding a stupid massive muzzle break. Bloody criminal.

Then again my range yesterday had a riginal Kar98k with waffenamt stamps that someone had screwed a fecking Harris style bipod to the wood work.....

4(T)

LE

I couldn't see any hills or embankments. I guess that hitting neighbours with 303 is just one of those "sorry y'all" things over there.

Actually the chap - Rob Ski - has turned up on one of the Enfield forums.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I couldn't see any hills or embankments. I guess that hitting neighbours with 303 is just one of those "sorry y'all" things over there.

Actually the chap - Rob Ski - has turned up on one of the Enfield forums.
I did that at Browndown in 1977...

I don't know why the link didn't copy into my original post hence the comment about having to view on YouTube.

The channel is, Vintage Rifles Shooters Club and the video is still there as I have just opened it again.
I don't have a LE No 4 Mk 1 (T), but I do have two pairs of those excellent BINO. PRISM No2 Mk 2 (shown in the video), which have graticules 1/4 degree apart, and 1/4, 1/2 and 1 degree high. They are 6 x 30 ie 6x magnification (equivalent to to a 300 mm lens on a 35 mm camera) with a 30 mm objective lens. One pair is made by Ross (1935) the other by Kershaw in 1943 (shown). Fixed focus (but eye-adjustable). Picked up this pair in a charity chop in Watford a few weeks ago for £15.

Binos.jpg

I note that Mrs Miggens (No 23, Privet Close) has placed unacceptable waste in her dry recycling bin. Shall I drop her?

Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't have a LE No 4 Mk 1 (T), but I do have two pairs of those excellent BINO. PRISM No2 Mk 2, which has graticules 1/4 degree apart, and 1/4, 1/2 and 1 degree high. One pair is made by Ross ( 1935) the other by Kershaw in 1943. Fixed focus (but eye-adjustable). Picked up this pair in a charity chop in Watford a few weeks ago for £15.

View attachment 606924

I note that Mrs Miggens (No 23, Privet Close) has placed unacceptable waste in her dry recycling bin. Shall I drop her?
Unauthorised possession of WOCS - you're toast!

He must have a fair bit of wonga to own a No4t!

Ahhh yanks, my friend showed me a YouTube video where someone took a No4 and made a shorter "tanker" (like the garand) version by chopping the barrel and wood down, then adding a stupid massive muzzle break. Bloody criminal.

Then again my range yesterday had a riginal Kar98k with waffenamt stamps that someone had screwed a fecking Harris style bipod to the wood work.....
I hate the whole "tanker" thing in the first place. The number of people who think the "tanker" Garands were a real thing, or that the cut down "tanker" Enfield No.2 revolvers were a thing (and not just the US importer modification they were) never ceases to amaze me...

I hate the whole "tanker" thing in the first place. The number of people who think the "tanker" Garands were a real thing, or that the cut down "tanker" Enfield No.2 revolvers were a thing (and not just the US importer modification they were) never ceases to amaze me...
But stoaty, people are idiots! They still believe that a No4 is a weak actioned death trap that can't hit the side of a barn.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Err, shall we take this conversation off-line? The first pair I, err, found. The second pair I bought and have the receipt...
Found at the WOCS check between phases eh? A likely story!

Latest Threads