No.4 butt plates. Brass, steel, aluminium,

WGR

Swinger
We have a Fazakerley made No.4 Mk.1 in the shop dated 5/1944. It's in fabulous condition, practically unfired, lovely bore, hardly a mark to the finish and I don't think it's been FTR'd.

What a shame somebody put it in an ATI plastic stock and chucked all the woodwork. :(

Anyway, we're putting it back to rights but I wondered what would be the correct butt plate to be fitted at Fazakerley in May 1944, when these were being churned out for Operation Overlord?

Brass, aluminium and steel were all strategic metals but which was spared for butt plates at this stage?

4(T)

LE
The correct answer is that anything is "right" on a war production rifle (eg grooved or smooth handguards, solid or split foresight block, milled or stamped bands, etc).

By late war, the zinc alloy "Mazak/Zamak" buttplates were more or less standard production items on rifles produced by UK, US and Canadian factories. However, the component system - with over 100 subcontractors in UK alone - meant that skip fulls of original pattern components would still be delivered to the factories, or would be buried at the back of the stockroom and uncovered later.

Hence a 1944 Fazakerley might usually be walnut + Zamak buttplate, or it might be beech + brass buttplate, or any combination thereof. (Steel was a later, post war, Canadian introduction)

I have had mint un-FTR'd Fazakerleys in with both types.

WGR

Swinger
The correct answer is that anything is "right" on a war production rifle (eg grooved or smooth handguards, solid or split foresight block, milled or stamped bands, etc).

By late war, the zinc alloy "Mazak/Zamak" buttplates were more or less standard production items on rifles produced by UK, US and Canadian factories. However, the component system - with over 100 subcontractors in UK alone - meant that skip fulls of original pattern components would still be delivered to the factories, or would be buried at the back of the stockroom and uncovered later.

Hence a 1944 Fazakerley might usually be walnut + Zamak buttplate, or it might be beech + brass buttplate, or any combination thereof. (Steel was a later, post war, Canadian introduction)

I have had mint un-FTR'd Fazakerleys in with both types.
That's fantastically helpful. Cheers!

On top of which certain units including many cadet detachments would ensure that their posh "drill squad" rifles all had brass butt plates (and often matching furniture) so that they all looked the same and could be nicely bulled up.

So parts, including woodwork, were often passed around a unit's rifles.

WGR

Swinger
No4 restored00001.jpg
No4 restored00005.jpg
No4 restored00007.jpg
No4 restored00008.jpg
No4 restored00010.jpg
No4 restored00011.jpg
No4 restored00015.jpg
No4 restored00016.jpg
No4 restored00017.jpg
No4 restored00020.jpg
Thought you might like to see the results. This rifle sold immediately. The synthetic ATI stock is destined for a 7.62 No.4 TR conversion which has already lost all its originality. Just need some 7.62 magazines if anybody has a boxful lying around!

Thanks once again for the help.