No 3 Petrol Cooker

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by 5645andym, Apr 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I’ve just been given a No 3 petrol cooker. Its a large (and quite heavy) two burner petrol fuelled pressure stove in a big steel box with a lid that folds out into a work top, about 2 foot long or so, 18 inches deep and bout 9 inches or so high.

Can anyone tell me when they were made or first issued and does anyone recall using them - if so for units in what sort of role would they have been issued?

Looking at cleaning it up and passing it on to a local history museum so some info would be appreciated, thanks.
  2. Standard issue for units during my time 67-90.
    A 'decent' cook could turn out wonders on one.
    Highly hilarious when one caught fire, all and sundrey diving for cover while cooky put out the blaze.
    Doubt health and safety would permitt them these days.
  3. I pretty confident they were around a long time, their designation suggests they pre-dated the introduction of Land Service Numbers in the 1950s.

Not sure that they were widely used by 'cooks' (ACC type), the issue was to smallish independent parties or vehicles with largish crews (ie about 6 or so men), such groups never had an ACC guy.

You could always try an FoI request for a date of introduction.
  4. We never had them in my Bn we had No2 for 8 guys but I did see tank crews using them. Have seen photo of chieftain crew with side armour down used as a table to cook on.
  5. if you had a double job on your tank you knew you had a good commander,,,,
  6. Many moons ago in Detmold when I was a Troop Cpl on Chieftain, I liberated a few of these from the LAD G1098 wagon.

They were brilliant bits of kit and although not standard Chieftain issue I believe they were issued to Cent ARVs. It made such a difference having 2 burners instead of the standard issue 1 especially when puttimng together a feast on maint days. They were amazingly reliable if looked after but then in any good troop cooker servicing and testing were always a priority before and after each exercise and if you looked after these they were gems.

Each tank in 3rd Tp C Sqn had one and we guarded them jealously in case some creature liberated them from us :)
  7. These the cookers that went off like a aircraft engine, when on the blink?? if so nearly saw a troop wiped out by one, was funny except i was one of them :)
  8. You're probably thinking of the No1 Burner, otherwise known as the "slop jockey's flame thrower". Bloody lethal things. One big pressure tank with a lever pump on the side, and a flame port through the middle of the vapourising tube, any leaks and the whole thing turned into a fuel/air bomb terrifyingly quickly. They were around for a long time - there's one in the Pegasus Bridge Museum in Normandy (probably deadlier than a Sten gun!), but they went out of use some time in the 90s, IIRC.
  9. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

What they all said. Issued on G1098 to all CVR(T) crews in the period (at least) 76-82 and great for turning the base of your dixie black.

Universally replaced by a crew-purchased Calor Gas or similar burner which didn't light up the whole wood and, running on camping gas, burned clean, unlike CombatGas.

Sultan had a mounting on the outside of the rear door, designed to carry a tank of bleach slurry for NBC decontamination. Perfect size for a giant Calor Gas tank to run cookers and penthouse heaters.
  10. There demise is probably as much to do with the move away from petrol engined vehicles as much as anything.

Now a diesel cooker? Ooh nasty, I can smell it from here!
  11. Is it the one that you had to dig a trench for? I was on adventure training once and was left behind with a mate to cook the evening meal (somewhere in the lake district), we went off in the rover to get the essentials in Kendal I think and, of course, had a few bevvies! On returning we pumped up the bl**dy thing, which had a sort of tent awning over it, and then proceeded to get some stew together from the adjoining ration tent. When we had done all the tin opening (good compo in those days) and potato peeling etc., I decided that it needed a bit of thickening so used flour from the aforementioned ration tent. By now we were so pissed that the awning had caught on fire, quickly put out! but the stew was OK. When all where sat down after their walk around whichever lake tucking into our marvelous stew and tatties they all said how good it had been but tasted a "bit gritty"! During the stocktake @ the end of the palaver it was obvious that I had used that special army scouring powder to thicken it (no perfumy stuff in it). How we laughed! Sorry about the rambling about the meal. When used correctly by people who knew what to do it was a good piece of kit? What do the cooks use in the field these days?
  12. Oo remember them. Was in the Signals and if you had one on your det you were considered 'strange', but they gave bloody good service. Had to use them outside though. I left the mob in '95 and they were still going strong then. You had to look after them, if you didn't they were lethal. Saw one take out a Bde TAC HQ once, monkeys trying to brew up and didn't quite know what to do when it actually did.
    Talk about laugh, never seen a staff group move so fast.
  13. Back then we had them in the Infantry and in RCT Squadrons. Like JonWilly said a decent cook was able to do wonders with that contraption. Still remembers the delicious pies that Gilly a 2CG cook used to turn out on exercise.These stoves were moody, and sometime after a long drive to the training area and looking forward to a nosh, the cooks were busy doing a first parade , or burial,service on the stoves. Thank Krise I was always able to be tail end charlie in the convoy,and could stop for a bite anywhere.