No 2 CDO/WW2

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by barneyrnsm, Aug 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just been given some training manuals from my Uncles time with KOYLI and then No2 CDO. I know you can buy them as a repro but if anyone ones an electronic copy of the manuals dating from 1940 to 1944 I will see what I can do!
    There is the Thompson Machine Gun, Instructions for teaching in the army,airborne operations and army tactics.
    There is also an SLR Bayonet from 1967 made by wilkinson, no idea why he had that though!
    Plus an army clasp knife from 1938 and a Nazi Merit medal 2nd class with swords (the power of google!!)
    I will try and upload some postcards showing anti facist and nazi propoganda as well, from his time in Italy.
    If there are any experts on the above I would love some history of the bits and bobs!
    Many thanks

PS I served on O boats and V boats if anyone needs help on boat questions!!!
  2. I'm pretty certain the original cadre for the Airborne Forces was formed from 2 Commando. They would eventually have become part of 1st Battalion the Parachute Regiment. Hence the Airborne manual. The wings for the 'originals' were white on black, which are the colours of 2 Cmdo.

3. The manuals all say they must not fall into the enemys hands!!
  4. First time I have uploaded pictures,will post these and then explain them!

Attached Files:

5. took me a day to realise it is not a 1967 SLR bayonet, but a 1907 bayonet that had been ground down!

Attached Files:

6. From what I can find, the clasp knife is 1938 sheffield made. The medal is a war merit 2nd class with swords, issued to all and sundry in the German Army/Civilian work force according to google, the post cards are from Italy, the German belt has my uncles name, number, No2 CDO and Italy written on the inside.
  7. Some interesting photos there. The medal is the Kriegsverdienstkreuz mit Schwerten, or War Service Cross with Swords, which was awarded to people who came under the enemies fire ie were soldiers. The belt buckle is the standard Nazi Wehrmacht one saying "God is with us". I like the Airborne manual - rather than how we should use paras, it's about defending against them - is there anything about checking nuns to make certain they're not Fallshirmjaeger? I'll have to check about who used cut down WW1 bayonets, although the Commandoes should have had Fairburn Sykes type knives for CQB, but it may have been a compromise early on in the war rather than use a huge great thing on the rifle.

8. There were no compromises in that respect for Cdos early on, while Wilkinson were not the only manufacturer as MoD and even public demand increased, Fighting Knives stopped being issued automatically quite early on and some CO’s exerted influence/favours to get some to placate the disappointed. Ironically batches of Fighting Knives (of various manufacture) continued to emerge and be distributed to various non Cdos throughout the war? They always had a currency among troops and most Cdos (who were interested) had to ferret out and buy one from the Tps ‘Arthur Daley’.

Typical rifle among 1940’s Cdos was the Lee Enfield No.1 with the associated blade bayonet. As the No.4 came in use – with the pigsticker spike – No.2 Cdo elected NOT to relinquish their No.1’s as the officers (i.e. the CO) decided the men would prefer to retain their blade bayonet – looked better in a charge and all that. They retained their No.1’s throughout the war and photos of the last months show the No.1 with blade fixed.

Re Airborne, while thinking changed almost at once as to whether Paras were to be part of the Cdos or separate, throughout the war Cdos could and did take a Para course which qualified them for Wings – which no doubt came in more useful than driving a loco :omg:

9. Right chaps,time for some questions please! The pocket watch is a minerva, issued to the Germany army and recorded in their pay book(the power of google!) The two pictures that go with came from the same German,someone my Uncle killed in the war,probably in Italy.
    We could start a whole new thread on wether or not he should have taken them,but I do know that on his death bed he was worried he would not go to heaven as he had killed men in war.
    The first word on the mans picture is GruB which to my school boy German means Great and the year 1944.

Attached Files:

10. GruB aus Janina means Greetings from Janina or that could be a T?
  11. A little more info,the picture was taken by Carl Heinrich of Niederschoonhausen,which is in Berlin,not sure if its a suburb or a street name,any arrsers who reside in Germany able to clarify this please?
    On the German Ebay site there is quite a few of his pictures but am unable to find out any more,unless you can translate to english?