No 10 asked army to delay Musa Qala attack

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Blogg, Sep 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Where do you start with this? All of it so dreadful. And people wonder why he resigned

"In interviews for the book Operation Snakebite and in military journals, Mackay accused the British government and Whitehall of being obsessed by in-fighting, poll ratings and short-term political spin and having an “absence of strategy and focus” that insulted the sacrifice made by soldiers in Helmand.

He described his sinking feeling on touring Whitehall that there was “no will to win”.

Putting this to one senior general, the then-brigadier was told that Britain would neither quit nor provide the resources to succeed. Instead only one approach was guaranteed: “Constant muddling through.” "

"During the defining operation of his Afghan tour, the recapture of the Taliban stronghold of Musa Qala, Mackay was furious to be asked by Downing Street if he could delay the operation and spare potential embarrassment to the prime minister, who was due to visit Afghanistan, if things went wrong. Mackay refused. "

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6850938.ece

2. This is not farcical it is mad.

3. I don't think the Afghans "let them go"......

Therein lies the solution... :)

4. Do you have a Ref for the 96 hrs statement ?

From what I know of Arab tribes they would release their own , but as Stab says 'Therin lies the Solution' for opposing tribes, Well lets say memories run deep.

“Constant muddling through.”
    seems to sum up Policy.
    Which raises the question
    Just what is the aim of this exercise ?

Originally it seemed to be defeat of Al Quada but now ?

Tom does his duty, some of his Leaders speak out but where is the Political Direction for this one of Tony's Wars.
    john

5. Seems to me it's a bit like NI only they have cut down the time scale to 96 hours, another betrayal of our fighting forces

6. We'll never win this war unless they change the ROEs.

When will they realise we're in a dirty war with an enemy that respects no conventions or rules?
    This isn't pistols at dawn stuff, for Goodness sake.

7. It's disgraceful shite like this from the end of the article that really grips me shite:

So now we're faced with a choice of who to believe: the routinely lying toads of Downing's Syndrome Street, or an honourable squaddie like Major-General Mackay.

MsG

8. Indeed. And I am forced to wonder just who, in the Mighty Downing Street Spin Machine, imagines that there are more than a dozen people in the UK (probably resident in secure units) who would take less than a slack handful of nanoseconds to make the correct choice.

All the best,

John.

9. If this can be proven, then Brown should be arraigned and charged with aiding and abetting the enemy.

Can this man Brown get any worse?