No 1 Dress (Male) Soldiers and Officers. Is there a difference?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by BuggerAll, Dec 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I have the opportunity to buy a soldier's No 1 dress. Is it very different to an officer's pattern? I know that it would need shoulder boards rather than sewn on epaulettes but are the cuffs and pockets the same?

Edited to add: RAMC if that makes a difference.

2. The shop over the way from the Tescos in Catterick will sort you out. I can't remember the name of it, but they are very good. The old bird is a bit off her tits but they do the job.

3. No they are not the same. The quality of the cloth is different and there are no lower pockets on the tunic. The collar is not formed to take a white insert.

If you are RAMC try their second hand shop at Keogh Bks. I went there to get a replacement SD after mine shrank in the wardrobe and they had racks of Nos 1,2 and 4 Dress. Very reasonable prices too.

4. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I did a 3 week course in Keogh in Jun/Jul. I did try to get into the shop but they were unable to find the time to open it.

I don't really need a No 1 it is more the opportunity to get one that fits that is very cheap. Its cheaper than the last time I hired one and you never know.