NKET/psy ops

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Squittle, Jan 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I've been a member here for a while, but haven't posted that much. I'm looking at mobilising on op HERRICK 15 (I'm TA), and am being put on an NKET (psy ops) course by my unit, with the view do doing that role on tour. The thing is, I don't actually know anything about the role or what it entails. If anyone has any experience or knowledge about what the job involves, I'd be really grateful for some information.

If you don't want to post it on an open forum, please PM me.

Thanks

2. Go look in the intelligence corps sections for answers.
    But you probably wont get them there as PSYOPS is meant to be tip top secret stuff.

3. ive done psyops but recognise nket?

4. sorry, Don't recognise nket

5. As far as I was aware, its just the new accronym for it. Not sure what it stands for though.

6. I think nket means non-kinetic operations; ones that don't necessarily require shooting stuff. Standing by for correction as I'm not in the Int Corps.

7. I'd wait out, or alternatively get your CoC to get details from 15 POG. You will (I hope) get nothing more than idle speculation by these means. Could be fun though.

8. Depending on your capbadge /. trade, you might be too late. Infantree have already been training for some 6 months.

9. Just for information NKET teams do a little more than just PSYOPS.

Though it is highly likely that you won't be trained to cover all of the activities carried out by your units NKET, but someone will!

10. for H14 BB...H15 only started last month and the NKET lads are on the weekends phase at the moment........

11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

NKET is not Psyops, although Psyops may form a part of an influence campaign.

Influence is a key part of operational planning and battlegroups will have a dedicated influence team, often consisting of an influence officer and 2ic within the headquarters and coy level influence cells (manpower permitting). Influence is central to every operation conducted, even down to highly kinetic ones. That is one reason why the term NKET is falling out of favour, as it suggests they are two entirely different lines of operation rather than complementary lines within all operations. It is not all about pencils for schools and leaflets as some seem to think.

Done well it is a life saver for our troops and a real force multiplier, so don't be surprised if your units plan for you to do influence is overturned by your receiving unit. The CO is likely to have identified his influence team early on, and may not rely on unknown entities turning up from the TA. Several who deployed on H13 expecting to do NKET/influence have ended up watchkeeping or other jobs.

12. I'm not actually sure what this post means.

I know for a fact that TA Infantry have been training for H15 for a good six months.

I'm somewhat astonished that a bloke who does not even know what NKET is has actually been put forward by his COC for training in that area.

I know of some reasonably aware TA blokes that are gagging to get involved with NKET for H15 but the places already seem to be taken by Regulars.

13. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

B_B, see above for reasons why.

Influence is not the ginger step child afterthought it was percieved as a few years ago - it is now an appointment which can be a key factor for success in an AO, and therefore a big career step for the right officer/NCO. Therefore out goes the enthusiastic amateur who was filling the gap that the regulars were not that fussed about, in steps the right person picked for the job well in advance of the tour. Given the choice of someone the CO has known for years and is ready to train from day one or an unknown entity rocking up halfway through MST, which would you go for?