NKET / Cultural Awareness Course

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by Bravo_Bravo, Jan 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just schlepped back from Warcop having spent a day and a half on an introduction to the Cultural issues facing troops in Theatre.

The presenter, ex 2 PARA, was not only a clear SME but a real enthusiast for the subject. I found it gave a fasciniating glimpse into the sometimes astonishing differences between our cuktures. Some very good example - bomb and the bullet was one, and from what I've seen I'd strongly recommend it as a very quick win if you want an eyeopener about Afg.

2. Any more details? I take it it was a lot better than the OPTAG 'don't show the soles of your feet during a Shura'?

3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

He is very good. Expect to have a lot of what he covered rehashed during OPTAG and RSOI with each retelling being the same basic story but allocated to a different Regiment, tour, ANA, ANP, CP, PB or FOB.

If I hear the story about the woman in burka being shot on sight by the ANA/ANP/Ghurka/Para/RM in Lashkar Gah/Sangin/Musah Kaleh/Nad-e-ali because of the sandals/sock/trainers being seen and not right for a woman and it turning out to be a male suicide bomber I am likely to go mental.

4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

That one's still going?! First hear that story on OPTAG for H10. That suicide bomber is going to achieve the same mythical status as the American merc executed in the Falklands.

5. Lots of fascinating stuff, IMO. Probably best not discussed in open forum but some very good lessons have been learned the hard way.