Nitrogen filled tyres

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Tom9748, Oct 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having just booked the motor in for a tyre change I was offered a nitrogen fill to inflate the tyre.
    Supposedly it can give up to 25% longer life to the tyre and around 5% better fuel economy,it costs £1 per tyre.Obviously any future top ups would have to be another £1 a go.Has anyone used this? Pucker or a load of fadish bollocks?

2. Go for helium. Makes your car lighter.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bit of a bastard when the car flips onto the roof though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. COSTCO use nitrogen when they change tyres on my Corsa, included in the price of the tyres.

I don't think it makes much differents.

5. Ask them if they do hydrogen tyres.

• Like Like x 1
  6. It works but then so does checking/correcting your tyre pressure more often.

Basically, it works because the nitrogen fill escapes slower than a conventional air fill so your tyres retain correct pressure longer.

So you have a choice, pay a pound per corner or carry out the checks and routine maint you should have been doing anyway but were too lazy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kwik Fit filled mine and it made no difference whatsoever. Save yourself 4 quid and buy a copy of Razzle instead.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ignore the bollocks about corrosion. When did you last replace a tyre because it went rusty? Never? Me neither!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dont buy Razzle its shiite, Get a couple of beers with the money and log onto the Hun (not on a work computer obviously).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

If you butter the underside I believe your car will just spin for eternity never actually touching the ground..

• Like Like x 4
  11. If I were selling the idea it's brill: fuel economy, safety, reliability, performance, all for £1 a corner. A free lunch almost. Remarkable. Quids in.

Helps reduce pressure loss
    Helps reduce corrosion
    Tires run cooler
    Increases tread life
    Can help increases fuel mileage
    Helps prevent uneven wear

Otherwise it's a complete and utter load of ******* bollocks. Air's 78% Nitrogen anyway, for a start. The General Gas Equation takes care of most of the claims, decent steering geometry, appropriate driving techniques and decent maintenance the rest.

Conclusion: Complete and Utter Load of ******* Bollocks. Keep your money.

12. I had it done a while back and really I say stick with air and check it more often!

13. My Bold

You can if you work from home :)