Nitrogen filled tyres

Having just booked the motor in for a tyre change I was offered a nitrogen fill to inflate the tyre.
Supposedly it can give up to 25% longer life to the tyre and around 5% better fuel economy,it costs £1 per tyre.Obviously any future top ups would have to be another £1 a go.Has anyone used this? Pucker or a load of fadish bollocks?

Having just booked the motor in for a tyre change I was offered a nitrogen fill to inflate the tyre.
Supposedly it can give up to 25% longer life to the tyre and around 5% better fuel economy,it costs £1 per tyre.Obviously any future top ups would have to be another £1 a go.Has anyone used this? Pucker or a load of fadish bollocks?
Go for helium. Makes your car lighter.

It works but then so does checking/correcting your tyre pressure more often.

Basically, it works because the nitrogen fill escapes slower than a conventional air fill so your tyres retain correct pressure longer.

So you have a choice, pay a pound per corner or carry out the checks and routine maint you should have been doing anyway but were too lazy.

Kwik Fit filled mine and it made no difference whatsoever. Save yourself 4 quid and buy a copy of Razzle instead.

Ignore the bollocks about corrosion. When did you last replace a tyre because it went rusty? Never? Me neither!

Dont buy Razzle its shiite, Get a couple of beers with the money and log onto the Hun (not on a work computer obviously).

If I were selling the idea it's brill: fuel economy, safety, reliability, performance, all for £1 a corner. A free lunch almost. Remarkable. Quids in.

Helps reduce pressure loss
Helps reduce corrosion
Tires run cooler
Increases tread life
Can help increases fuel mileage
Helps prevent uneven wear

Otherwise it's a complete and utter load of ******* bollocks. Air's 78% Nitrogen anyway, for a start. The General Gas Equation takes care of most of the claims, decent steering geometry, appropriate driving techniques and decent maintenance the rest.

Conclusion: Complete and Utter Load of ******* Bollocks. Keep your money.

Otherwise it's a complete and utter load of ******* bollocks. Air's 78% Nitrogen anyway, for a start. The General Gas Equation takes care of most of the claims, decent steering geometry, appropriate driving techniques and decent maintenance the rest.

Conclusion: Complete and Utter Load of ******* Bollocks. Keep your money.
Seconded. Utter techno-bollocks to take money from the gullible. Allegedly first used with aircraft tyres to avoid having a compressed oxygen source available in the event of a fire.

What they don't tell you is that oxygen, from the air, will leak into the tyre, turning it back into a nitrogen/oxygen mixture very similar to air; it works on the partial pressure of O2 and the fact that the N2 is at 2 or 3 bar won't affect it.

Basically, it works because the nitrogen fill escapes slower than a conventional air fill so your tyres retain correct pressure longer...
The theory is that the nitrogen contains less moisture than air, and is therefore less susceptible to pressure variations with temperature.

... it works on the partial pressure of O2 and the fact that the N2 is at 2 or 3 bar won't affect it.
Anyone who quotes partial pressures like that has to be right.

I asked about them, mainly out of curiostity.

You don't have to refill with nitrogen. You can 'top up' with air if you wish. Then every so often pay the nugget per tyre to have all of the gas replaced.

If you are going to be driving at sustained high speed, doing maneouvres which will generate significant heat in your tyres...

...then stick with normal air. The theory is that the gas expands less than normal air when it heats up, thus you are supposed to have more stable tyre pressure... but air is 78% nitrogen and 20.9% oxygen with a load of other gases in very small amounts making the rest. Difference to 99.9% of drivers? 0%. So unless you are planning on taking a Veyron across Germany at max speed all the way then I wouldn't bother.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Robbeaus The NAAFI Bar 46
michaelshane06 The NAAFI Bar 13
F Army Pay, Claims & JPA 5