Nineteen Eighty-Four - Coming Soon to a Country Near You?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Brick, May 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now I can understand the argument that it can be useful in criminal and security matters, but does this whole thing leave something of a bad taste in anyone else's mouth? And if the individual companies are already required to hold the data then why is the government talking about possibly spending what will no doubt be tens if not hundreds of millions of pounds duplicating effort simply to have a central data source/shiny new toy under their own control that will probably not work very well and be highly unsecure judging by their past IT escapades? Sounds like something a Stasi general would dream up back in the 70s or 80s. Now we can get into arguments about who you'd rather have holding personal data on you, private companies and the chance that they might sell it on or the government and the chance that they might misuse it or even sell it on like they do with the DVLA, but personally I'd probably trust the private company more.

2. Never really got hot and bothered by the likes of ID cards and stuff, I was always of the opinion that 'if you've not done anything then you have nothing to hide'. However this really is starting to get Orwellian in the first instance. What the hell do they hope to achieve? I can't imagine the resources required to manipulate the raw data required to process the info that will be generated. The government will no doubt resource a commodore 64 (with built on floppy) at a huge cost to the tax payer. It will be staffed by an army of civil servants, kept 'legal' by a plethora of lawyers, governed by an unelected quango and lost 6 and a half weeks after it goes live. How much has the proposal cost us already? I betcha it's in the millions already. The human rights lawyers and feckin liberals are slavering at the jowls as we speak and some labour sponsors in the technical and IT industries are pricing up the new yacht! I have no doubt the tories will agree that this is required (up until the point it affects their share of the poll in an adverse way). Politicians no doubt will be exempt from having their personal affairs recorded on a databas.

Yep, 1984 is on the way. Foil hat donned, self destruct button armed, two tickets out of the country booked - browns shagging our arrses and the c**t hasn't washed!

3. Agree totally. I'm all one for keeping track of terrorists and criminals and if I have to sacrifice a little presonal data to achieve this then all well and good.

I think this is a step too far now.

4. The idea of a National phonecall/email/SMS database is nothing new, however it appears that ministers are now to seriously consider plans drawn up by home office officials.

According to the BBC ministers have not yet seen the plans, and already the limp dems are calling it an "Orwellian step too far".

linky to the BBC

what scares me is I've found a limp dem I agree with on one point

Chris Huhne
    Lib Dems

5. Utter garbage I'm afraid. There is no way that anyone could capture & store EVERY phonecall/text message sent over the networks, do you have any idea how large the database would have to be in order to cope with the volume? There are people out there, people with no lives granted, who send over 100 texts a day and seem to spend their entire lives on the mobile. This is just crap reporting.

Does anyone out there honestly believe that the Goverment is about to start recording every phone call that they make? Come on for christ sakes, get a life and step away from the tin foil hat.

6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I'm sure this has been floated before. IIRC the Telcos & ISPs say the cost to them would be disproportionate to the benefit to 'security'

7. just realised there is another thread on this, started earlier in the day other thread here

8. Sweden is trying this also. That is why many companies re moving their mail servers to Finland.

9. Is that perchance the sound of a few more people waking up?

10. Aye. And too bloody late it is too.
    All this 'You've nothing to fear if you've nothing to hide' business, this mantra for the terminally stupid, has cost us huge slices of our privacies and freedom.
    I thought we weren't going to let the 'terrorists' change our lives because if we did, it would mean they'd won......? Instead, we have allowed our democratic freedoms to be eroded in fear of 'the terrorist' to a point where local councils now use 'anti-terror' legislation to spy on us, not 'them'.
    And how the feck did that happen? It happened because we, as a nation, are as thick as shiyte, gullible to the point of ridiculousness, and deserve no better.
    :cry:

11. Not sure if the comment about waking up is directed at the likes of me, who were indifferent to the ID card debate etc. If it is, then I suppose I am waking up. I am still in favour of ID cards but not with biometric information etc. There does remain a need to have a means by which we can account for who is who, but the e:mail demanding Mrs BPS "gets greased up and adopt the position" is hardly tracking the terrorist is it? To be honest, I can't see this getting through the House of Lords and if it does Europe will more than likely "smash it's back doors in". Still pi55es me off to the max that our esteemed leaders still want to do it.

Besides this is going to make my stalking acitivity harder than ever and the "cyber bullying" of colleagues will be nigh on impossible. I also don't want the government to know about my embarassing 'soft winkle' condition that is remedied by little blue pills off of the internet.

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I'm more than happy to have my biometric data with me wherever I go, so that Abdul in the corner shop can check me out when I buy a pint of milk.

I also feel far more safe, knowing that my every movement can be tracked by anything up to a dozen cameras at one time.

I'll be even happier when automatic computer facial recognition is linked into this so that the database that holds all my personal calls, email and por . . . internet browsing can be updated and cross-checked.

I'm also rather pleased that wherever my car goes, automatic number plate recognition cameras can add my movements to this ever growing database, not to mention the 273 private and government concerns that can access ALL this information should they wish to.

What really does provide the icing on the cake of course, is that all my financial and medical information will be held in the same manner, and will be made available to the same organisations.

I feel that without this information, I could be at serious risk of coming to harm. Thank heavens the government is doing all this to protect me.

It's nice to know that should I need access to any of this information, all I have to do is ask my local vehicle clamping company, er, if they are allowed to tell me what's in the database of course.

13. My understanding is that this 'contacts not content' - i.e. the comapanies will be expected to keep records of the numbers dialled from my mobile, not the ensuing conversation.

If that's right I'm not that exercised by this - if I'm wrong and they are going to store every word I speak/type then it is time to take the streets.

OaC

14. After speaking to your missus, she too agreed!! :wink:

15. Did you speak by phone or e:mail? Hang on a second...........I demand the right to check the data base to find out what you've been saying about me and my soft winkle!

On the other hand I've been stalking your missus mate and I demand that privacy regarding the whole terrifying affair be protected at all costs!