Nikon D90 - Quick Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Photography' started by k13eod, May 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Decided I NEED a DSLR up here in Shetland as my Panasonic Lumix is missing some excellent wildlife opportunities! can't afford to buy new and if I buy second hand cheap (£200ish) I will have to pay a fortune for a decent lens. Have clocked a Nikon D90 on fleabay complete with:

Sigma 28-70 uc 2.8-4 Zoom

Tamron AF 75-300mm f4-5.6 LD telemacro lens

Tamron AF 28-80mm Aspherical Zoom lens with Wide Angle Attachment

Goes in about 5 hours. No bids but starts at £565.

Read a decent review, but dated 2008. Any advice? Is it worth the money? Will be my first DSLR so not looking for anything 'professional'.

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

The D90 body is great, won loads of awards and is still bang up to date. I was thinking of getting a second one to future proof my investment in an underwater housing - but the price is still high Euro 600 (£480) 'ish for a new body with warranty. There are plenty about as the demand has always been high for it.

I don't know about the lens, I only use Nikkor.

P.S. The auto functions work fine for a newbie, and there are a number great books about on how to get more out of it for those unfamiliar with DSLR's.
  3. Just checked Tamron lenses and seem to have an ok review. Have used Sigma before but with my old 35mm Minolta.
  4. Sigma are a good lens. I've got two. I'd be careful about buying a lens from eBay though. I've heard some awful tales. D 90 is good, my father in law loves his. I use Canon and wouldn't change but that's down to personal preference and not photographic snobbery.
  5. I've used Tamron lenses with no problems. Good enough for me a professional may see it differently.
  6. If you've got five hours left, then you have ample time to shop around some of the better dealers on the net (not Jessops, the proper places I mean). You might get a better deal there and at least (even on second hand) you'll get a guarantee with the kit.
  7. Play them off against each other I got Jessops to price beat the cheapest price I could get on a compact camera.
  8. Guy claims they are 'good as new' and has 100% feedback. have been torn between Canon and Nikon but it comes down to budget and package deal ... nothing to do with make!

Having commented on a few of my pics on Faceache, you'll appreciate my need for a DSLR!
  9. Yup it's why I got a digital SLR after going to Canada in 2006. Loads of wildlife shots and all shite on the compact camera.
  10. Had a good look this morning but nothing likely to match the price with lenses.
  11. Sigma lenses are good, 99% of what Nikon can do. The 'Hostile Environment' pro lens for when you know you can't get kit insurance if you tell the truth, and hurts a lot less than Nikkor if it all goes T.U. If I was doing wildlife for Attenborough or it cost thousands to get in position for the photo then, yes, hire in a Nikkor, otherwise Sigma is a good second to own outright. If you can keep the bidding roughly where it is you're on a winner.
  12. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

my own 2p's worth - had a D90 since 2008 and love it - no experience of Sigma lenses but I do have the Tamron 70-300 / macro - it's perfectly usable for an enthusiast IMHO.
  13. I would love a D90 - got a D3000 (£200 on EBay with 2 reasonable lenses) as my first SLR and to be honest - it is still a lot better than I am so won't be upgrading for a while
  14. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

I have a D90 and think it's the terriers tackle.

As for the deal - the lens set isn't exactly a complimentary set of lenses.

New from Amazon, you can get a D90 with a 18-105 lens with VR (Nikon's stabilisation) for 656 pounds. Link here That's not a lot extra, assuming the bid price hasn't got up, to get piece of mind.

Just another option to consider
  15. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

Well, it's about 5 hours later - did you buy it??