Nike Free 3.0

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by carlbcfc, Apr 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone used these?
  2. I've used the 5.0, but i suspect you already know that! :p The 3.0 are even more stripped down than the 5.0 which in turn are more stripped down than the 7.0.
    IMHO there are a lot of factors in regards to deciding if they're the correct shoe for you. Your running form, economy, weight, distance, injuries etc. Like i stated in my post in relation to the vibram fivefingers, i think they are best used gradually. I made the mistake of completely reverting to doing all my running in them and came out with an injury due to a muscle in my leg not being strong enough, getting inflammed and tight. The thing is with running shoes personal preference is 90% of the decision because everyone runs differently.
    But i really like them. Hope i could be of some help! PM if you've got any other questions/want advice.
  3. Are the 5.0 quite stripped down then? I would take it easy with them, and continue to use my Saucony Fastwitch untill I were comfortable getting miles out of them. I continue to get niggles in these so called 'fluffy soled' shoes, and I do heel strike big time. It shows in on my shoe sole.

What harm can there be learning to run as nature intended? Know any good places online to pick up a pair?
  4. i would suggest visiting a good running shop that has gait analysis.from doing this they can then recommend what shoe would best suit your feet,stride etc.
    and then buy them online unless they are cheaper in the shop
  5. Yeah they're a happy medium really. The next pair i buy will be 3.0. I got mine direct from the nike store online, when i was looking for a retailer round about 3 months ago they were rarer than rocking horse crap. Even the nike online shop didnt have the 3.0.
    It's quite strange when you first run in them, i found myself 'thinking' of how my foot should be striking the floor, got progressively more natural though. In regards to distance, a friend completed the London Marathon in them, albeit at a rather pedestrian time of 3hr 52. Nevertheless highlights how you can be out on them for a long time/distance. Did all his training in them aswell.

P.S They are designed to be used sockless, but i use a really thin trainer sock, take this into account when sizing.

P.P.S Gait analysis IMHO is a load of B.S. Pronation/supination is a completely natural occurence. Modern running trainers stop it happening, alter your running style.
  6. What kind of surfaces are you running on in these new-aged gizmo shoes (well it's all rather new to me anyway)? How do they hold up on the more off-the-beaten-track stuff?

I saw a couple of nutters doing the Marathon totally bare-footed! There's natural running and then there's just silly...

Have a look at this link. One thing to take into account is that Gebrselassie will most probably run/walked barefoot from a very early age, unlike the majority of us lot, therefore have extremely strong leg/foot muscles. But it does highlight a point.
  8. I run on both pavement, concrete, grass, track and trail. I'll show you them at the R Eng PO course shifty!
  9. Thanks torres, interesting stuff.
    Going by the wincing hobble the runner I saw was performing, I'm thinking he was regretting his decision in a big way!
  10. Been there, done that, tried a few. I don't think I ran my regular stride while I were there tbh. Time to build some new foot muscles I think.

Still a bit confused as these look a bit bulky LINK

Have a look at the reviews, i know it's from a nike store so you could argue impartiality but, personally everyone i know who has tried them loves them.

Carl granted they do look rather bulky, but if you look at the soles, they are 'sliced' both laterally and horizonitally this allow your foot to take on a much more natural position. You can if you wanted to fold them in half. Remember your going to need some cushioning! But your'll landing much more fore foot and there is less cushioning at the back than the front.
  12. I do up to 10 milers in vibrams which is effectively barefoot.
    Nothing wrong with it, but you do have to put the time in to get your muscles used to them. My first 3 miler was agony but in time the muscles and more importantly the tendons adapted and got stronger.

I run mainly on pavement, but that said I prefer grass. The thing with grass and off trail however is that it REALLY hurts when you land on pointy stones and roots. If you are running for distance it can be quite infuriating to have to stop and walk during some stretches.
  13. I've been interested in this approach to running, so it's been interesting hearing some feedback. Are those of you this practising this style of running planning of continuing it once at RMAS etc? How does the Army view it?

I've read somewhere that the official line is you get issued trainers but it is suggested you buy your own, suited to your preferences. Do you reckon these scaled back trainers are acceptable?
  14. Done a lot of reading on this, and I am thinking of going with a pair of Nike 3.0 in rotation with my Saucony as a way of building up my feet. Nike seem to have discontinued the 3.0 & 5.0, and gone with the Nike Free+. This apparently is a 4.0. So short of looking like an ape, I think the 3.0 is the next best option for curing my heel strike.

Can anybody disagree, and if so, why?