Nijmegen

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by clopie, Jan 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I did Nijmegen last year, but by day 3 I almost got red carded due to the state of my feet. I ended up getting redcarded for a different reason, but this year when I compete I don't want the blisters.

So does anyone know the best make of boots to do it in?
    Also; any techniques for looking after your feet? I can't tape them as I'm allergic to the adhesive on all of the tapes people use :( thanks!

2. My Dad was an ex RSM and he said soak your feet in permanganate of potash, makes your feet purple. Make sure your toe nails are cut and wear socks with no seams and take a change of socks. Good luck

3. You can harden sensitive/delicate areas of skin with surgical spirits.

4. What exactly is permanganate of potash, and what benefit does it have? :)

5. beer and brufen simple.

6. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

Wear two pairs of socks.

Your thick, inner sock for the actual tabbing and the thinnest pair of outer socks you can find. I use NEXTs own thin socks. The outer pair acts as the inner sock and the inner sock acts as your skin, so the outer sock rubs against the inner sock and where you would get blisters, now you get, nothing! Win!

If you want to do it properly go to Altberg and their factory in Richmond and get a custom fit pair of Sneeker boots. They make them to your feet, so you're guaranteed an awesome, comfy fit.

:)

7. D-W

D-W Swinger

Wen some of our lads done it this year they all found tabbing in the Issued assult boots the best. but it depends what you were normally me personnally i cant tab in them i have to use lowas or my feet get propper bad.

If you cant use tapes go speak to the med centre and see what they can give you

Good luck with it and we might meet in the beer tent this year (if my regt puts in a team)

8. MrBane

On the point of tape, I really wouldn't bother with it. It can cause more problems than it solves.

9. That would be potassium permanganate and it's an anti bacterial, will do nothing to prep your feet. Surgical spirits hards you feet. But then if you get blisters they'll be deep (painful).
    Best prep is wear broken in boots and and get your feet use to tabbing by getting milage under your belt. Build up the training.
    Any frontline squaddie should tell you similar. Everyone has little variations though.

Oh yeah, enjoy.

10. D-W

D-W Swinger

It only causes problems if you dont put it on correctly

11. MrBane

Yes and no. I've seen it last a 12 mile tab and I've seen it applied correctly, thoroughly, and then cause problems a mile in when it's started to catch or come off. Just down to individual wearer. though when your feet start soaking through with sweat then it's going to start coming off anyway.

12. Have you tried '1000 mile socks' available from most good outdoor shops ?they are efectively 2 pair of socks in one. I tabbed with them on for years and no blisters.

13. You could, but how will a toughened up bell end help you complete the march?

14. I find them great when new, but they shrink like a bitch! After a few uses the main "foot" part has become a size one or two, or at least in my experience. Could be my detergent or something.